Vietnamese Coffee Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ThePorterSorter, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePorterSorter

ThePorterSorter Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Oregon

Hey BA, I'm trying to come up with a list of beers with Vietnamese coffee in them, so far I've only seen the SS viet and various mikkeller beers, are there any others that I'm forgetting?

2. billbillbill

billbillbill Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Texas

3. GuttaMane138

GuttaMane138 Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2011 Florida

ThePorterSorter and DrRambis like this.
  4. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Initiate (0) May 21, 2013 California

Can someone explain how Vietnamese coffee speedway is made? Seems to me that saying "beers with Vietnamese coffee in them" is odd since vietnamese coffee is a recipe, not a thing. Its a pour over type preparation of a coffee that often contains chicory mixed with sweetened condensed milk. And the coffee isn't from Vietnam. JBM and kopi are different in that you just buy those beans. Is the base beer for Vietnamese the same or does it use milk in some way?

5. Kurmaraja

I don't think this counts. Its just a coffee porter. No lactose involved.

6. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (912) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

7. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

The only 'Vietnamese Coffee' brews I have had include Vietnamese Coffee like Kopi Luwak, not Vietnamese styled coffee.

8. ThePorterSorter

I guess ideally it would be a beer based on this drink, but I'm just looking for beers brewed with beans from viet...nam sayin?

9. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 California

I was told it's made with the condensed milk and all just like real Vietnamese coffee from a beer facilitator at Alesmith. Best breakfast beer ever!!

10. Kurmaraja

The quality of coffee produced in Vietnam is bad. I don't think you actually want beers that include beens from Vietnam. My bet is that none of the "Vietnamese Coffee" style beers don't actually use beans grown in Vietnam.

Kopi Luwak is NOT Vietnamese. It's produced in Indonesia - on Sumatra, Java, Bali, and Sulawesi.

11. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

True but civet processed coffee is produced in Vietnam.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2012/01/coffee-vietnam

Edit: and is the coffee used in at least one of the beers mentioned by the OP.

http://mikkeller.dk/beer-geek-brunch-weasel/

#11 drtth, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    tylerstravis likes this.
  12. Kurmaraja

Interesting. Which of the OP beers uses Vietnamese civet processed coffee?

Regardless, I think the article reinforces the idea that, as a general rule, Vietnam produced coffee is not of high quality. I'd still wager a lot of the "Vietnamese Coffee" beers are hewing towards the "ca phe da" - coffee with condensed milk - style rather than actually using coffee from Vietnam. Speculation, but the low coffee quality would have me hoping so.

drtth likes this.
  13. drtth

See the link I added while you were composing this response.

14. drtth

What I think the OP is looking for is beer with the civet processed coffee in, not beers including the classic recipe for "Vietnamese Coffee."

And it does appear that the Vietnamese civet is as adept at selecting and processing high quality beans as those in other countries.

15. drtth

It would help if you don't use abbreviations that are meaningless to many, e.g. SS viet as examples.

lester619 likes this.
  16. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

17. WTKeene

WTKeene Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2013 New Mexico

A civet is more of a weasel than a monkey, but yes.

And on that note, this is one of the best coffee stouts I've ever had, and it uses Kopi Luwak: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/82379/

tylerstravis likes this.
  18. drtth

Wrong. Civets are closer to cats or weasels than to monkeys. And the feces are removed from the beans before they are roasted so there's no shit involved by the time it becomes coffee.

19. lester619

Thank you. I don't even really care about the topic and I find it irritating as hell. If you want to communicate your thoughts, use words.

20. lester619

Still, it's inside an animal at some point right? I'll pass. No pun intended.

#20 lester619, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  21. ThePorterSorter

Abbreviations are basically an adaptation to character limits on titles in the ISO/FT forum, I can use them as I please (get over it). Though I appreciate your complete lack of contribution to the thread.

22. drtth

This is not the ISO/FT forum but yes you can use anything as you please and be wrong as well, just don't be surprised when people don't understand what you are asking.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...ol-on-the-trading-forums.170363/#post-2432263

#22 drtth, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.