Visiting Seattle (Fall 2016 Update)

Discussion in 'US - West' started by BuckeyeOne, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

Surely many of us agree that this forum could use an easily searchable/bump-able "I'm visiting Seattle, where should I go?" thread. Here, I'll attempt to cull the consensus "must-hits," along with other highly recommended metropolitan-area Seattle breweries, brewpubs, bottle shops & beer bars that appear in this type of BA thread. Recommendations & suggestions are encouraged.

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries (None have food but you can bring in food or purchase from food trucks outside)
    Fremont Brewing
    Reuben's Brews
    Holy Mountain Brewing
    Stoup Brewing
    Cloudburst Brewing

Other Highly Recommended Breweries & Brewpubs
    Georgetown Brewing
    Seapine Brewing
    Machine House Brewing
    Schooner Exact Brewing
    Naked City Brewery and Taphouse
    Urban Family Brewing

Highly Recommended Beer Bars
    Beveridge Place Pub
    Brave Horse Tavern
    Brouwer's Cafe
    Burgundian
    Collin's Pub
    Cooper's Ale House
    The Dray
    Latona Pub
    The Noble Fir
    The Pine Box
    The Park Public House
    The Sixgill
    The Stumbling Monk
    Toronado Seattle
    Uber Tavern
    The Wurst Place

Highly Recommended Bottle Shops
    The Beer Authority
    The Beer Junction
    Bottleworks
    Chuck's Hop Shop Central District
    Chuck's Hop Shop Greenwood
    Downtown Spirits
    The Last Drop Bottle Shop
    Pear Delicatessen
    Super Deli Mart
    Vine Street Market
    ---------------------------------------------------
    (A Few) Beer-centric Restaurants
    Just about any decent restaurant in Seattle has an acceptable beer list. Many are more-than-acceptable.
    Bambino's Pizzeria
    Bell + Whete
    Bitterroot BBQ
    Blue Star Cafe & Pub
    Bramling Cross
    Giddy Up Burgers
    Mammoth
    The Masonry
    Mollusk
    Quinn's Pub
    The Yard Cafe

BullDoza, denver10, Erik-P and 3 others like this.
  2. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Maybe include the list of places that offer crowlers and also places to get bottle shippers. We seem to get hit with that question a lot.

3. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Thanks @BuckeyeOne. Just a couple thoughts. What do you think about Seapine being on the "(Almost) Universally Recommended" list? I was really impressed with their beers both times I have been. Also, Teku Tavern is opening the 18th and they are looking top notch in terms of tap and bottle selection.

#3 checktherhyme, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  4. distantmantra

Trader

I feel like Teku needs to prove themselves first. Preempetive recommendations normally don't sit well with me.

5. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Apr 8, 2008 Washington

I completely agree.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  6. BuckeyeOne

These are not bad suggestions. However, I don't know places that do either. I would need the usual suspects to help me out here. Folks should feel free to BM me.
    @beertunes suggested I add the bottle shippers a while back if I received the 411. I never got it so couldn't do it. I don't ship beer so I'm uninformed.

TheBungyo and BBThunderbolt like this.
  7. distantmantra

Trader

There's a crowler list floating around in a post here in the NW forum. I'll go look for it.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/crowlers-in-the-nw.315735/page-5#post-4940168

Also, maybe a note aboubit growler laws in WA, ie. They're super lax and pretty much everywhere will fill anything.

I also don't trade, so I don't know who has shippers, but figured someone would know.

EdwardAbbey and kemoarps like this.
  8. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

To the best of my knowledge (which, is, admittedly questionable) any "sealable" container (which, generally seems to be a screw or swing top) is acceptable, as long as the original label is removed. For example, a 20oz Coke bottle, with the label removed, is acceptable. Don't want to confuse the children and the delicate. I've also filled/had filled Nalgene bottles, glass milk jugs with the snap-on caps, and bicycle water bottles. AFAIK, one cannot refill an open can, for example. I also suspect YMMV depending on an individual locations individual decisions.

Also, not every place that seems a likely spot for a growler fill, ie: bars and restaurants, has an "off-premise" (or whatever the legal mumbo-jumbo is) to allow fills, please, do not bust the balls of whatever employee tells you that they can't/won't fill your growler. Decisions are made above the front-liners paygrade, they're just working. If you are actually disagreeing, write a letter (actual hand-written letter get so much more of a complete response that an email, tweet, or yelp will), and the bosses can explain their particular reasoning.

BullDoza, kemoarps, Erik-P and 2 others like this.
  9. Erik-P

Erik-P Aug 19, 2013 Canada (BC)

Nalgene fills, genius! If im walking around ill often have my water bottle with me.. and its a pretty standard 32oz too..

BBThunderbolt and kemoarps like this.
  10. distantmantra

Trader

I've got a 19 oz Hydroflask container that is pretty perfect for getting a single pint to go.

11. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

Here's the presumably mostly up-to-date Seattle crowler location list from August cut-and-pasted from the good work done by @66jzmstr (and those who helped him via crowdsourcing):

Tin Dog (Seattle)
    Beer Junction (Seattle)
    Fremont Brewing (Seattle)
    Chuck's (Seattle - both locations)
    Lowercase Brewing (Seattle)
    Growler Guys (Seattle, opening soon)
    Old Stove Brewing (Seattle)
    The Cannery (Seattle, crowler machine due in a few weeks)
    Flatstick Pub (Seattle and Kirkland locations)

I agree that notes about the places to obtain bottle shippers and growler laws would help as well, as they are, like crowlers, common concerns for out-of-towners passing through. For the former, someone mentioned past success at the Ballard BevMo in the Summer Thread and U-Haul elsewhere, but maybe a link to Office Depot locations in the city, or a suggestion to ask any liquor store/bottle shop what they were willing to part with, would work just as well. Best not to overthink this one, in my opinion. Perfectly adequate raw shipping material, at nominal cost, isn't exactly hard to find.

For the latter, something to the effect of "Laxer than yours" or "If it's a fairly sanitary non-permeable vessel of reasonable size, has a lid and no label, and the particular locale is okay with filling it, you're generally gonna be good to go" should suffice. There's probably no need to go citing the pertinent RCW(s), though maybe RCW 66.24.371 will pass muster for the barristers among us. (I cannot say for sure, having not checked with my own attorney.)

Finally, I'd also like to add my vote (yet again) to putting Seapine in the top category. Barring the introduction of one/any voice which says they are not worthy, it's deserved by now. They've been overlooked long enough...

12. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Jul 17, 2005 Washington

Thanks, @EdwardAbbey! If anyone knows of other haunts with crowler capabilities since the last update months ago (found here), I'd be happy to update the list, too.

EdwardAbbey and BBThunderbolt like this.
  13. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

vurt likes this.
  14. VashonGuy

VashonGuy Mar 7, 2013 Washington
    Trader

15. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

OK, but it's technical talk: A Metric Shit-ton of IPAs and other assorted hop-bombs: http://www.beveridgeplacepub.com/events/

16. boralyl

boralyl Apr 17, 2008 Oregon
    Trader

I personally think Old Stove brewing should be added at least to the "Highly Recommended" list. I tried 5-6 of their beers in August and they were fantastic. Several being better then beers I've had at Cloudburst.

17. ballardbeer

ballardbeer Nov 10, 2013 Washington

sounds like a couple of us need to either chime in or do some independent research. y'know, for science and all.

i've never been, so I think i'll stop in next week.

kemoarps, BBThunderbolt and boralyl like this.
  18. distantmantra

Trader

I hate going downtown and paying to park (unless I'm on light rail then I like going downtown), so I have yet to check out Old Stove. Buddy brought a crowler of their saison over the summer, it was pretty good.

19. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Jun 20, 2005 Washington

To each their own, but I was unimpressed by old stove. Except for the retro Hamms tray my tasters were on...

darinbrill and distantmantra like this.
  20. boralyl

boralyl Apr 17, 2008 Oregon
    Trader

What did you try? All of their hoppy offerings were fantastic. I tried their CDA, several IPAs, and a double IPA. Maybe their other styles aren't quite as good?

21. kemoarps

kemoarps Apr 30, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

Old Stove is another one that's been on my 'I should get down there and check it out soon' list. I need to shrink that list!!

22. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Jun 20, 2005 Washington

Had to go back and look: I liked the Galaxy SMaSH best. Didn't like their IIPA - high bitterness, not enough malt to balance, even for style. CDA, Wee Heavy, Saison, Old Ale were all fine, but not standouts. So I did only three of the hoppier options.

23. distantmantra

Trader

Saw the local Maple Leaf blog talking about it, so i figure it's fair game now.

The old location of The Little Gym in Maple Leaf will be the space for Shambles, a new craft beer, butcher shop, cafe, etc. spot. One of the guys involved is the former head beer dude at Whole Foods. Should be open by the Spring.

24. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Deactivated

I happened to bump into "Joel Foods" a couple weeks ago, and was delighted to hear him confirm his vision is really starting to come together. Knowing him, this place should end up being a real gem for the neighborhood...and beyond.

It'll be a pleasure to see it added to one of the "highly recommended" categories up above when the time for that comes.

jpbebeau likes this.
  25. distantmantra

Trader

Yeah, I'm very happy for him. Shared some bottles with him and a few other people at Toronado a couple weeks back and really enjoyed hearing his plans. And it will be family friendly which is always nice to have within walking distance.

kemoarps, jpbebeau and EdwardAbbey like this.
  26. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Bippitybump.

kemoarps and distantmantra like this.
  27. distantmantra

Trader

Checked out Teku Tavern tonight and had some Skookum Double Citra Jack. Nice space, great selection. If I still lived in Queen Anne I'd probably be there all the time.

28. itracy63

itracy63 Apr 20, 2013 Washington

I really like this idea! I'm glad Crowlers are becoming more prevalent, I can never remember to put growlers back in my truck after I use them and I refuse to buy anymore, I have too many already.

66jzmstr and distantmantra like this.
  29. BuckeyeOne

bump

Turey22 likes this.
  30. stillill

stillill Mar 6, 2016 Washington

Teku is fantastic and needs to be in the upper ranks of beer bars here.

drone likes this.
  31. BuckeyeOne

Been open for a few days?

32. balto22

balto22 Feb 7, 2013 New York
    Trader

Personally I am not a fan of Teku. Its over priced, has a weird vibe, and feels too pretentious for me. I would much rather go to pretty much any other Seattle beercentric bar.

33. stillill

Little longer than that. You been there yet?

34. BuckeyeOne

Nope.

BBThunderbolt and balto22 like this.
  35. distantmantra

Trader

Teku has been open for less than a month. I went on opening night and it was a nice place, but let's give them some time to figure everything out before we bestow upon them "omgzwowzahype."

BuckeyeOne and BBThunderbolt like this.
  36. LockeNess33

LockeNess33 Feb 2, 2016 Oregon

I feel like I should be surprised by this line of conversation, but somehow ... I'm just not.

I've never been, but this is exactly the type of atmosphere I would expect from a bar with this name.

37. BuckeyeOne

I hope our fine establishments are checking @stillill's ID when he shows up.

38. stillill

What does that even mean? Or are you just trolling me?

39. drone

drone Jun 17, 2013 Oregon
    Trader

Teku seems to always have a superb taplist, especially for a place that's only just opened. Need to check it out sometime.

40. BuckeyeOne

I think referring to what I'm doing as "trolling" is a little harsh...

BBThunderbolt and Turey22 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.