Whales on Tap?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Chcshammonde, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chcshammonde

Chcshammonde Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2014 California

i just thought I would share an experience I had recently. I often see threads on this site where folks are frustrated in searching for limited release beers that sell out in the same day they hit shelves. Some people can't just take off work to go stand in line at 9am on a Tuesday, so I really understand the frustration.

However, i recently had several whale-ish beers on tap at the same time, and these beers were the type that sold out on the one day of the year that they were available to buy in bottke format. I was able to enjoy BCBS '14 and Parabola '15, and was absolutely thrilled to have enjoyed them 6 months after that single day availability. Some others they had on tap that day (it was apparently their 5 year anniversary tap list):

- BC BARLEYWINE
    - Sucaba
    - Stickee Monkey
    - Sump Coffee Stout
    - Lost Abbey Angels Share Bourbon Barrel and Rum Barrel editions.

In addition to this, I found out that BC Prop 14' was on tap in San Francisco about two months ago as part of something called 'Goose Island Migration Week'.

Just wanted to share. I was able to enjoy my 'whale' of Parabola, and I think with a little searching and social network monitoring, others can do the same.

Cheers!

charlzm likes this.
  2. horsehockey

horsehockey Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Illinois

I've had Sump Coffee Stout on tap, I've also had Abraxas and coffee Abraxas on tap. I wouldn't call those whales, but they can be tough to get outside of the St Louis area. I pretty much gave up on whale hunting. It's too damn expensive and there is plenty of good beer to be had without all the hassle. That said if I happened to belly up to a bar that had some whales I would definitely order them.

Cool find, man. It's always nice to get to try one of the best.

3. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

Yeah a lot of hard-to-find beers are easier found on tap than in bottle. You just don't get the empty to put on your wall of fame.

4. Himself

Himself Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

My local craft beer bar just finished it's 3rd consecutive keg of KBS, not quite the whale of whales but it was nice to have as a shift drink with a glass of bourbon.

richobrien and bostonwolf like this.
  5. ncusatis

ncusatis Crusader (471) Dec 22, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Local place just had CW Peruvian Morning

6. slander

slander Pooh-Bah (2,324) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society

You know, when Cantillon Spuyten Duyvil came out, there were 168 bottles and a log.

I drank it on tap (like) every day for a week...

vacax, iong516, cavedave and 4 others like this.
  7. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina

My craft bar down the street had Mexican Cake on tap

Powderhornphil, edd562 and richobrien like this.
  8. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

Ive had Vanilla Rye and CBS in Orlando, like everyone else! :flushed:

Chcshammonde, richobrien and pmangold like this.
  9. JouerAvecLeFeu

JouerAvecLeFeu Pooh-Bah (1,946) Apr 17, 2015 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

10. Feelmebone

Feelmebone Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2014 Connecticut

I was able this year to have CBS on tap like most cities had for a while . With the goose island migration week I was lucky enough to have Prop , Vanilla rye and coffee in newport. Firestone walker Parabola also in rhode island .

richobrien likes this.
  11. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Zealot (656) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

where is this, do tell? :slight_smile:

richobrien likes this.
  12. A_Rad

A_Rad Initiate (0) May 8, 2015 Wisconsin

I've had KBS, CBS, Alpha Kong (currently on tap), BCBS, BCBBW, CW 17, Abraxas, Sump (currently on tap), and Bruery anniversary beers on tap in my neighborhood over the past 2-3 years. #MKEFTW

13. Himself

Himself Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

Moe's Tavern Lee, MA exit 2 on the Pike

www.nocoorslight.com

Jack's Abbey Excess IPL will be on tap this weekend along with Lord Hobo Boom Sauce and a host of others.

DZachariah and richobrien like this.
  14. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Maven (1,338) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Local option in Chicago had prop, vanilla rye and cbs on draft.... On the same day!

15. sgulner

sgulner Zealot (604) Apr 16, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

My Dad called and was excited to find PBR* on tap. Guess we all have our Whales? :wink:
    *And Im not telling where, don't want to give up his source! LOL

16. beermeplz

beermeplz Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 California

Sounds like Ale Arsenal last week? That was an insane tap list...also had Berserker, Pugachev's Cobra, and lots else...I definitely indulged haha...

#16 beermeplz, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    RBassSFHOPit2ME and richobrien like this.
  17. gonzo000

gonzo000 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2014 Massachusetts

Moe's Tavern is Lee is great. Right on Main Street. Stumbled into it after golfing in Lennox. Outstanding rare beers on tap all of the time - the selection in the store out front is pretty damn good for the Berkshires.

For golfers, Cranwell in Lennox is great golfing at reasonable prices before Memorial Day and after Labor Day.

richobrien likes this.
  18. Chcshammonde

Chcshammonde Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2014 California

@beermeplz, yessir! The list was incredible. I thought i was going to miss out because I couldn't go last week, but went on Tuesday and the taps were still in tact.

beermeplz and richobrien like this.
  19. Bdubbsyall

Bdubbsyall Aspirant (241) Aug 13, 2014 Illinois

TapHouse Grill had SitR, BCBS 13 and 14, KBS 15, and DH 120 on tap a few weeks back. I spent a hell of a lot of money there that weekend. Also, evidently people in my area aren't into sours too much because SitR was on for two weeks. It was lovely.

20. beersandmiles

beersandmiles Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2015 California

Vanilla Rye (twice), Pliny the Younger, CBS, SR71. Different places right place right time. No lines.

BayouBengal1537 and HighWine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.