What beer are you drinking now? #1581

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mschrei, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mschrei

mschrei Meyvn (1,298) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Been a while since I opened the thread. Don't think I've had any of this this week, so why not start my Friday with a visit from the baby? Found a four pack from August at the grocery store yesterday.
    [​IMG]

Happy Friday, all!

2. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (452) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

flashback Friday. pulled an old Obsidian from deep in the rear recesses of the beer fridge. i remember like yesterday, i walked out of the store with the full 24/ case of these for $26.76 (2009ish). oh & it still tastes pretty damn good too. Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Whey2Hoppy

Whey2Hoppy Aspirant (278) Mar 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Hazy IPA brewed in NJ? Yes please.[​IMG]

4. BEERMILER12

BEERMILER12 Poo-Bah (2,227) Sep 11, 2010 Maine

5. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Defender (639) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio

TGIF BA's....4 day weekend for me...yahoo!

Picked up some great beers this week, this one ranks at the top....and local and only a few days old...what could be better? Oh yeah, a spectacular sunrise to go with it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi from Stella the wonder kat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. rmank

rmank Aspirant (265) Mar 26, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Didn't really taste much of the French toast on this.

[​IMG]

7. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,254) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Coincidence I keep commenting on you. That is my favorite ipa in NJ right now. I only had 2 bottles and the store got only 1 case but it's unforgettable.

8. Urk1127

Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    This is great. Nice chocolate not too artificially sweet tasting. Idk if my mind is tricking me, I asked another too, there's a slight strawberry thing I taste in it. Very smooth. Balanced bittering from the oats. It's really good. Cheers.

9. Jlabs

Jlabs Defender (684) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Good Morning & Happy Friday BA!
    I'm seeing the Red Hot Chili Peppers tonight @ MSG, and figured I celebrate w/ a beer from their home state of Cali, Goblin Rock from Modern Times..damn fine IPA..Cheers!
    [​IMG]

10. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,620) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Up early, pulled this from the cellar, 2 years, drinking smooth, cheers!
    [​IMG]

11. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,476) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Just trying something out while planning the lunch menu . . .

[​IMG]

Score 3.9
    look: 3.75 | aroma: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Sparkling light gold color (10k rather than 18k) with a modest white cap and good lacing.

Aroma is a generous melding of hops flowing with the strength of a good sized trout stream. It doesn't hit you with sharpness or darkness, rather a full rounded scent neatly layered atop a solid malt base.

Taste is outstanding. Rich malt and citrus, piney hops presenting together from the beginning and flowing in concert to the finish. There is a lushness about this malt/hop combination. The Brewer uses descriptors such as pine, grapefruit, orange, tropical fruit and toasted bread malt. I got all that except the orange but that doesn't mean it's isn't in there. Nothing untoward in the aftertaste, which brings the same pleasing flavors then exit as quickly as a conductor bringing down his baton.

Medium body that has all it needs to fully display the flavors.

I wasn't halfway through this review when I noticed my glass was 3/4ths empty and I wasn't particularly thirsty. It drinks that well but not with the casualness of tossing down a Bud Light, rather it simply tastes that good. Very, very good combination of hops with the right amount of supporting malt. Apparently not designed as a please all approach, the IBU level is more than my BL friends want yet not high enough for the hopheads of my acquaintance, it's as if New Belgium decided to see what could be done with this set of ingredients and pulled of a show stopping performance. Just a beautifully balanced rich rounded brew. Versatile as well, I can see pairing this with things diverse as Asian stir fry to bacon cheeseburgers.

xartion, MacMalt, SABERG and 38 others like this.
  12. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Devotee (449) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

Enjoying my vacation and enjoying my 2nd pour of this beast.

I was able to find a nearby bar with a killer taplist with the likes of Abraxas, Blind Pig, Hop Slam, Pliney, Fen Toa - all draft.... you get the idea. I plan to spend the better half of the day posted up at the bar.

Cheers

[​IMG]

#13 Eddiehop, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  13. Blackop555

Blackop555 Meyvn (1,148) Dec 12, 2016 Michigan
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

14. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,410) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

15. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (1,878) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I love those old labels, and those bottles! I forgot about the raised hop details around the base of the neck on the glass. Used to be the best for homebrews too, as the labels would peel right off. Cheers!

16. alzooka

alzooka Initiate (116) Feb 15, 2017 Arizona

The Cocoa Puffs cereal for adults. :slight_smile: The chocolate notes took 3-4 takes before they were noticeable. Decent porter, it could use more cocoa though. Wicked Weed Brewing - Asheville, NC
    [​IMG]

17. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Meyvn (1,342) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Still no Little Brau??

18. Whey2Hoppy

Subscriber

Oh by far, my favorite IPA out of NJ, and possibly my favorite overall. They're actually my favorite local brewery, as I've always loved their Tripel Horse.

Urk1127 likes this.
  19. Lingenbrau

Beer Trader

Good morning and Happy Friday BA's! I apologize... the Staff and I have been exceptionally distracted and busy these last few days. Most of you know why. Anyhoo, there's a big storm closing in on us over here on the west coast, so stay safe all my central and northern California brethren! It's time for the Glass of the Day Awards!

GotD:
    Speaking of northern California brethren, cheers and congrats to @Highbrow for yet another exceptionally beautiful post including this Weihenstephaner willibecher glass :slight_smile:.
    2nd: Speaking of willibecher glasses, it's time for a long overdue award to @bobv for this Trapp Lager one. Did someone say goats :confused:? :grinning:
    3rd: Speaking of goats, are there goats on your farm, @BigIslandfarmer ? I love when segues work out. Very nice Disgruntled Brewing tub of a tulip!

Cheers everyone, and I will see you all soon!

GotD.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Urk1127

Beer Trader

Not to defame Carton or kane but I do like other brewers more than the big 2. I wish people would try others because ive even seen people say "hey you have carton on growler, is it 077xx? No? Nevermind" while 077 is great theres more to nj than that one beet. Double Nickel just started canning. River horse is really stepping it up, I really like their saison that comes out early summer. Brotherton is keg only right now but their IPA'S are amazing.

SiepJones, MacMalt and Whey2Hoppy like this.
  21. Lingenbrau

Beer Trader

Nope. We are going to the doctor today at 1:50. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets induced today, and we've planned accordingly. Having said that, he is my offspring and stubbornness of this caliber was expected and will most likely continue throughout his life :angry::stuck_out_tongue:.

22. BigIslandfarmer

BigIslandfarmer Aspirant (265) Sep 30, 2016 Minnesota

Thanks for the award! Sadly, no goats on my farm... I love me some curry goat!

Highbrow, mikeinportc and Lingenbrau like this.
  23. Whey2Hoppy

Subscriber

Exactly. All anybody ever talks about is Carton and Kane, and while they may be awesome at what they do, there are so many other great breweries that get cast under their shadow. I feel like NJ is really stepping up its craft beer game in general, which is awesome. My hometown in Ocean County is finally getting its first brewery this Spring (Frye Brewing) and I'm really excited to see what they can do.

MacMalt likes this.
  24. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Dutchcraftbeergeek Disciple (398) Nov 21, 2015 Netherlands
    Beer Trader

25. Urk1127

Beer Trader

Lakewood just had one opened called Icarus. Manahawkin is getting one in spring called Manaferkin. Ship bottom Brewing opened last summer on lbi instead of contracting in PA. Double Nickel canned 4 beers demented is canning now. Bolero Snort is getting the move on. Brewery opening in Absecon (rumor). Tuckahoe got picked up by Hunterdon (biggest nj distributor) brotherton opened (not to public) and are already gaining popularity in SJ on taps. Pinelands got picked up by Hunterdon also. Backwards Flag ( my former employer) celebrated a 1 year anniversary. Magnify been doing well. Carton is becoming more available down here, not just boat and 077 either. It's been a great year for NJ beer.

MacMalt likes this.
  26. cbcrunch

cbcrunch Meyvn (1,090) Jan 21, 2012 Wyoming

Morning
    Another great day here in NE Wyoming
    Mild with highs in the 50s

[​IMG]

Have a great Friday and elevate!

27. MFMB

MFMB Champion (828) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

It's Friday! Bohemian Czechulator Dopplebock. It's okay :slight_smile:

Cheers BAs

28. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,138) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

It's never too late for breakfast with the baby...FBS at mom's house...no wifi so no photo...have a great Friday!

29. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,277) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

For all of you who are drinking Hop Juju (and that seems like damn near everybody except me), I'm drinking this and you're not: Linalool, from Pearl Street, LaCrosse, WI. This is quite interesting. It's brewed with Northern Discovery, a local wild hop variety. Bittering would seem to be the strong suit of this hop. The flavors are not overpowering, but there is some spruce-like resin on the finish and a little floral and citrusy aftertaste. Nicely balanced, with a substantial malt presence to showcase the bitter qualities of the hop without adding much sweetness. Color me impressed.
    [​IMG]

30. 911CROFT

911CROFT Devotee (445) May 18, 2015 United Kingdom (England)
    Beer Trader

Thornbridge: Jaipur

[​IMG]

tolar111, xartion, MacMalt and 39 others like this.
  31. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Devotee (484) Nov 16, 2007 New York

32. Dravin

Dravin Disciple (383) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana
    Subscriber

Ale Pacino Mocaccino by Triton Brewing Co. As soon as I popped the can open the smell of delicious delicious coffee hit my nose like a delightful perfume. The chocolate came when I stuck my nose in the glass.

[​IMG]

33. goingbrokeonbeer

goingbrokeonbeer Savant (927) Dec 4, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Wooden Robot I'member Pale
    [​IMG]

34. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Meyvn (1,342) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It's League of Heroes Day! Packaged 2/8...first up, Anti-Hero!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

60 degrees and sunny here today...

35. BigIslandfarmer

BigIslandfarmer Aspirant (265) Sep 30, 2016 Minnesota

Sticking with the winning formula... :wink:!!!
    [​IMG]

36. tlema1

tlema1 Meyvn (1,262) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Mobility still limited, hanging out with the dog and sipping on a Peppermint Victory at Sea

37. 911CROFT

911CROFT Devotee (445) May 18, 2015 United Kingdom (England)
    Beer Trader

Wild Beer: Millionaire

[​IMG]

38. mschrei

mschrei Meyvn (1,298) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Going to be beer stalking you again, @bowzer4birdie, once I pick up my League of Heroes box, but for now I'm enjoying the second from the 4 pack of this one.
    [​IMG]
    RIP George "The Animal" Steele. Sad that all three of the primary players in this angle are now gone.

39. BSiegs

BSiegs Defender (602) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

A rare Page 1 showing for me. Gotta take advantage of a Friday off.

Enjoying 4 Hands Devil's Invention...

[​IMG]

This is a solid coffee stout. Very coffee forward on both aroma and taste, even the coffee bitterness lingers. Notes of chocolate and roast. Good brew and can't go wrong at $10.99 for a four, but I can't say it will be a fridge staple.

Cheers BAs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.