What's your experience with rye beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ATL6245, Sep 27, 2019.

1. ATL6245

ATL6245 Initiate (105) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia

I had never had a rye beer before, but recently had Creature Comforts (amber ale), out of Athens, GA, Reclaimed Rye. Wow, it was quite an enjoyable beer. Granted this beer is aged in French Oak barrels, but even without that I think it would be great. The rye malt adds a nice complexity to the grain bill. Spicy aroma and flavor plus a slick, smooth mouth- feel. Anyone else find they really liked a rye beer..or didn't?

2. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,221) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

French oak aged rye amber ale??? Wow, I've gotta try that.

3. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Disciple (326) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Only experience is with Sierra Nevadas Ruthless Rye, but I found it quite enjoyable. Styled after an IPA, but with a nice spicy undertone.

4. ATL6245

I'm wondering about the range of bitterness. Creature Comforts is right on the nose. Very approachable, but I think could satisfy the drinker who prefers complexity.

5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,827) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I've rated 21 Rye beers on BA and I have come to the conclusion that I favour them.

6. ATL6245

Yeah, I didn't know what I was walking into, but I was pleasantly surprised. If you can her Creatures Reclaimed Rye, jump on it.

woodychandler and Sabtos like this.
  7. ATL6245

What are your top two or three local? Any you would recommend that are available more nationally?

Bitterbill likes this.
  8. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (73) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

I enjoy rye beers, even if they are hard to find unfortunately. I was, for example, pleased by SN’s Ruthless Rye. The German style Roggenbier, the cousin to Hefeweizen, is also quite delicious if you can find it.

9. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Rock Chuck Rye from Lander Brewing is the only Wyoming Rye available locally, on draught only. Mass Hysteria from Wichita Brewing and Salmon Fly Rye from Madison River are the only others I see. None are national distributed.

Here's a link to the most of the ones that I tried:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/12/?sort=revsD&start=0

Notice, I have a tendency to rate them higher than the average. :wink:

woodychandler, maximum12 and ATL6245 like this.
  10. Reef

Reef Defender (635) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Society

Westbrook One, Two, Three Claws are all great. I saw some Three Claw on the shelf in a store here last night.

11. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,094) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

OG Alpine Nelson. One of the best IPAs ever brewed. Cheers!

woodychandler and jakecattleco like this.
  12. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (116) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

woodychandler likes this.
  13. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,195) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Absolutely love 'em, I wish I could find them more often.

woodychandler, Peach63 and Bitterbill like this.
  14. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,306) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I like them and wish I could have more.

15. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Westbrook delivers to Ga I think, One Claw is a Rye PA, I have some in the fridge right now. Imo it’s the best hoppy beer the make.

woodychandler, Peach63 and ATL6245 like this.
  16. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,082) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I like the dimension that rye can add to a beer. Have had a few really good ones.

Boulevard's 'Rye-On-Rye' is out there (I've seen the four-packs). I tried it about seven years ago but haven't had it since. It currently has some high ratings on BA...

17. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Excellent example. My top one is Founders Red's Rye IPA.

18. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Savant (980) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan

Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye.

19. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Glorious!

woodychandler, nc41 and miwestcoaster like this.
  20. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (388) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

Rye isn’t used enough in modern beers. However it’s usually kind of a hassle to brew with since it creates a gummy texture in the mash which can...well, just complicate things tremendously.

Alpine Nelson uses golden rye and it’s still been one of the best IPAs I’ve ever had.

21. beaulabauve

beaulabauve Disciple (335) Aug 5, 2011 Louisiana

Bittersweet Lenny's RIPA, Hop Rod Rye

woodychandler and ATL6245 like this.
  22. ATL6245

Yes! Great suggestion. I just saw that on Total Wine's website, my nearest store. I'll have to check that one out.

#22 ATL6245, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  23. ATL6245

I just noted that a brewery down in South Georgia, Pretoria Fields Collective makes a rye IPA called Rye Charles. Lol, apparently that is named in homage to Ray Charles, who was born in Albany, GA. I've had some beer from Pretoria and like what I've had from them. I'll have to give that one a whirl.

24. nc41

Trader

I love rye in my beers, I love rye to a point in my whiskey, and too much in whiskey I really don’t like. Like Old Grand Dad 114, too much rye for me, and the Wild Turkey mash bill is right on point. I’d like to see more rye used in beers, it definitely changes things up and it adds spicy notes.

25. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,487) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

People have written in these forums that they can taste the rye in a beer that uses that grain, but I never get that. I do get a peppery/spicy taste, but that's it.

26. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (225) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

I miss that beer so much

miwestcoaster likes this.
  27. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (131) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

You picked a dandy for your first rye experience. CC Reclaimed is a first rate rye beer!

woodychandler and ATL6245 like this.
  28. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (766) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

that peppery spicy note is the rye. At least it's the common denominator I see in them.

I personally love rye beers and am drinking a new top favorite beer of all time right now that is a rye-wine aged in bourbon barrels (nothing special from against the grain). It's amazing. I wish I'd bought a case and I hope it exists next time I'm out by the brewery.

29. jasonmason

jasonmason Initiate (179) Oct 6, 2004 California

Like many others here, I love good rye beers and wish there were more available. That one the OP referred to I'll definitely need to seek out, it sounds great.

woodychandler, ATL6245 and Peach63 like this.
  30. Peach63

Peach63 Aspirant (204) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society

Rye pale ales are among my favorites. I brew a mean one myself. The spiciness of rye is not for everyone's taste.

31. walterfarris

walterfarris Initiate (29) Dec 7, 2017 California
    Trader

The rye beer I can earliest recall having was Barley Forge’s The Patsy; coconut rye stout and was among some of the first beer I regularly sought. Unfortunately, the brewery is now set to close at the end of October, gotta snag one more run before it’s gone

32. ATL6245

It's hard to go wrong with just about anything that Creature Comforts makes!

barrybeerdog likes this.
  33. ATL6245

I'm wondering why the rye beers aren't more popular? I guess there are a lot of beer drinkers that don't care for the spicy notes; but I like that. It adds a nice body and mouth-feel to a beer. I've also read it's pretty difficult to brew with. I'm not a homebrewer, so I can't speak to that.

34. ATL6245

For the beer geeks out there like me, who want to know more about how Creature Comforts makes Reclaimed Rye, here is a link to an interview with one of the founders. Reclaimed Rye is a year around beer for CCB and they make a lot of it. I was wondering how they are producing it in such volume given rye's reputation as difficult to brew with and the French oak aging. Well, the fun thing about craft brewers is how they can get creative. This was interesting. The good stuff starts around 4:34

35. nc41

Trader

I’m not much of a descriptor on beers, but the rye simply to my taste roughs a beer up a bit. In beer it’s really a nuance, you know it’s a bit different when you drink it but it’s certainly not a hammer. In Bourbons and whiskies to me it’s a hammer, it’s a bit too rough for my tastes. The difference in a Wild Turkey mash bill and one from Old Granddad are polar opposites, and we’re only talking increasing the rye percentages to a substantial amount. I’ve never had a Rye Bourbon, and I’m quite sure 51% rye or more wouldn’t work for me. I’m drinking some One Claw this weekend and it’s so much better imo than any other hoppy beer they produce, a bit spicy, a bit fruity, nicely hoppy, reasonable abv, only 5.5. Yep, it’s sounds like a perfectly balanced beer. It’s hard to say one beer is better than another, but I’m trying to think of a PA that I think is better, and I can’t. In comparison I really don’t like Westbrook’s IPA, not at all.

36. ATL6245

That's a good way of putting it, rye roughs a beer up a bit. Especially added to an IPA. It probably tones down the fruitiness some and compliments with the spicy notes. It works really well in the amber ale. Amber ale had almost become pedestrian. It spruces it up a bit and makes it a very good everyday drinking beer.

37. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,650) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

That there aren’t enough.

38. Peach63

Peach63 Aspirant (204) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society

I'm an extract with grains brewer. I don't mash my grains, I steep them. Doing so gives me no trouble at all. I can't speak for all grain brewers though.

ATL6245 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  39. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,126) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I have had a few

Bear republic hop rod rye
    Leo vs urses inferos
    Sierra nevada ruthless rye
    Two brothers cane and able

Nice spice, roasty, citrus, herbal.good stuff.

40. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,094) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Wet blanket alert...I find many/most rye beers and/or rye barrel aged beers I’ve had overly drying on the tongue, and not to my personal liking...totally a mouthfeel thing. CWs latest rye barrel aged stout is a great example...tastes great! Tongue felt like I had been sucking on a popsicle stick...

Cheers!

woodychandler and PapaGoose03 like this.