When it Comes to ABV, How Low Can We Go?

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, May 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Admin (4,017) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Pooh-Bah

Low alcohol beer is the last unexplored territory of American brewing. To take its place in our beer-drinking culture it must transcend gimmicks.

Read the full article: When it Comes to ABV, How Low Can We Go?

2. Harrison8

Harrison8 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,771) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I recently had a beer that I think defies "summer crusher" of a beer. Keep in mind, when I think of a "summer crusher", I think of a beer I can throw back after a track workout in 98F, sunny weather with 96% humidity (unfortunately, not that uncommon for a few months out of the year). I want something with flavor, but that doesn't shock my dehydrated system with alcohol. I also want something I can slug back round after round in a scorching hot parking lot while tailgating for a game.

The beer that seems to have nailed that balance is "Hoppy Water #1" by Narrow Gauge. Hitting in at 3%, I didn't expect much flavor - but actually found the hop presence in both the aroma and flavor profile to be more robust than most of the Luponic Distortion series so far (which I've also been a fan of so far). Better yet, it was under $10 to take home a 32oz crowler of Hoppy Water. No doubt, if it was made and distro'd throughout Missouri, I'd be snagging it for any bonfires, camp outs, float trips, tailgates, and post-workout brews. It'd be nice to have some similar brews available.

At 3%, that's the lowest ABV I've had in a beer without it being a lambic. I'd love to have more opportunities to pick up beers like these. At least from June through August.

3. dcotom

dcotom Grand Pooh-Bah (5,503) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Surly Xtra-Citra (4.5%) is about as low as I'd want to go in terms of ABV. That said, it's one fantastic beer that doesn't sacrifice flavor for so-called sessionability.

Of course, there is always kvas.

Sludgeman and Harrison8 like this.
  4. WV_Charles_Homebrew

WV_Charles_Homebrew Initiate (0) May 17, 2017 West Virginia

I just drank my last bottle of SN Otra Vez last night. Crisp, tart and very refreshing, with just a tiny hint of the gose salinity. And that subtle hint of cactus fruit is nice too. I need some more!

HorseheadsHophead, Lucular and BWood like this.
  5. jhavs

jhavs Grand Pooh-Bah (3,551) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I really enjoy Rally from Austin St. in Portland Maine.

3.8% ABV but still really good flavor, aroma and mouthfeel.

We got a keg last summer when we rented a lake house. It was the perfect brew for hanging out by the lake in the sun. Had a bit more high test stuff for evenings.

Currently rated pretty high on here.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/34657/235092/

6. Lochnessmonster

Lochnessmonster Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2013 Florida

Take a vacation to Iceland, they'll teach you a thing or two about low abv beers.

PatrickCT likes this.
  7. moshea

moshea Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

I remember going to beer bars years ago and looking for high ABV BA beers

I go in now and look for the lowest ABV beers on the menu

More low ABV beers please

Ranbot, spoony, LuskusDelph and 9 others like this.
  8. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Lindemans Framboise is excellent and only 2.5% ABV

Slavutych Kvas Taras is 1.2% ABV and sucks, but not because of the ABV!

Tripel_Threat and Harrison8 like this.
  9. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

In general, it's amazing how much flavor can be packed into a low alcohol sour. There's a Berliner Weiss called Brau Backer that's brewed with brett and lactobacillus, and you'd never suspect it's only 2.5%. Of course, the price may be the thing that keeps you from pounding six or seven in a row like you'd want...:wink:

10. surfcaster

surfcaster Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I'm kind of glad that we aren't a bunch of old farts sitting on stools drinking all day--fine if you want to. :slight_smile: Maybe I will join them one day.

All that being said- I look for the lower option routinely. Please make more good low ABV brews.

11. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

While most of the beers I like happen to be high ABV, I don't need them to be. Particularly when I go to a taproom and must drive home, I am not looking for a 12oz 13% ABV beer. Lately I've been going for new lower ABV beers.

MartinDoon and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  12. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

Jester King Le Petit Prince (2.9% ABV) 4.75/5
    Lindemans Framboise (2.5% ABV) 4.25/5
    Evil Twin Sour Bikini (3.0% ABV) 4.25/5
    Stiegl Radler (2.0% ABV) 4/5

These are my highest rated at ≤ 3.0% ABV.

13. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Pooh-Bah (2,018) Aug 16, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

i've been thinking more and more about this exact subject.

i'm weird in that I am almost always drinking something during the day. water, tea, coffee, etc. i have a bottle of water with me 99% of the time.

so enjoying a session at home i can drink a good amount but 8%+ abv IPAs/stouts take their toll at some point. my FIFA skills really crash and burn after a few big beers.

so something like Boat Beer (4.2%) comes into play. i can be constantly drinking/sipping without getting sloshed. for example 2 weekends ago i had like 2 Jai Alai's while playing FIFA and then i started drinking Puff. 1 I was fine, 2 started to feel it and 3-4 put my FIFA skills in the trash.

so yes, flavorful small beers would be great

14. donspublic

donspublic Grand Pooh-Bah (3,478) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

2.9% Commercial Suicide Oaked Farmhouse Mild: Jester King
    Could drink this mild all day long
    3.2% Grodziskie: Live Oak Brewing Company
    My local bar got a keg of this Grodziskie and I think I drank more than anyone. I would go every day for a glass and 2 times a week got growler fills. They were practically giving it to me to get if off the tapline because no one liked smoked beer. Great beer and one that makes you work your way thru it because of the complexity

ilikebeer03, Roadkizzle and Premo88 like this.
  15. Premo88

Premo88 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,486) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

Of the 584 beers I've reviewed, only 10 have ABVs below 4.0%.

Clearly it's the next frontier for craft beer if only because it's the land nobody's visited yet. I've had quite a few sub-5.0% brews that are fantastic, but there's so few options under 4.0% that I generally don't try looking for them. What about the English Dark Mild? Some day the brewing world is going to tap into that style, and when it does, I hope some of the brewers go as low as they can with the ABV (BA.com's style page says 2-6% ABV is its range).

Of what I've tried under 4.0%, Blue Owl's Little Boss is now a staple in my rotation, and, as others have pointed out, Lindeman's is tasty. Jester King's Kvass was a pleasant surprise:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24018/257449/?ba=Premo88#review

16. BWood

BWood Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2015 California

Great beer

Premo88 likes this.
  17. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I had a terrific English Mild a few years ago at Bull City Burgers in Durham a few years ago. Nicely bitter, a ton of flavor right at 3.8 abv, tap only. I'd bet if the BA world got a hold of this beer it would score in the mid 90s or so, it was that good.

surfcaster and Premo88 like this.
  18. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,776) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut

I'm a fan of low abv beers, particularly those styles that are traditionally lower in alcohol. I would be drinking much more Brawler if it were readily available.

LuskusDelph and socon67 like this.
  19. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Grand Pooh-Bah (4,820) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There are plenty of terrible (especially ipas) "session"/ low alcohol beers out there, but there are a few that I do really enjoy. I don't drink to get drunk anymore (though it still seems to happen sometimes :flushed:), and more often than not, I don't even want to get a buzz. Especially when out and about. I drink beer because I love the flavor. Any time of day, with any meal. I drink it like I do root beer, or a glass of lemonade. I have found myself thrning away a lot of 6% + stuff recently so I love the idea of more low ABV beers, as long as they taste good. Don't just dry hop water for the sake of making a low alcohol beer. Here are a few that I really enjoy, and was shocked to find out the alcohol content on some of them.

New Glarus Serendipity - 4%
    Lindemans Peche - 2.5%
    Sixpoint Jammer - 4.2%
    Bells Oatsmobile - 4.3%
    Brewdog Dead Pony Club - 3.8%

20. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Maven (1,307) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

My favorite Low ABV beer "by far" is Bissell Brothers Baby Genius, at 4.0%. Wish it was available year round...

Lonborgski and mrmattosgood like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.