Your Top 250 Letdowns

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, Jun 14, 2018.

1. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,194) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

For those lucky enough to get the opportunity to sample beers off the elusive top 250 list, which beers did you think weren't quite worthy of their ranking placement.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/top/

mikeinportc likes this.
  2. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,194) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

For me:
    1) Morning Delight #10. Had such high expectations for this one, was a decent beer, but it fell short of that lofty ranking IMO. At least 5-6 other big stouts in the top 50 (on quick glance) that I would rate better. Probably numerous more if I spent time scrolling throught the full top 250.
    2) #36 Zombie Dust - Again, decent IPA and enjoyed it but just not at that lofty spot on world rankings. Realize (like Heady and Pliney), alot of the loft came from ratings from yester-year before the NEIPA national competition and the higher bar we have now.
    3) #49 Hunaphu's Imperial Stout - I guess rarity may play a factor on this one. Wasn't that impressed at all.
    4) #123 Speedway Stout Vietnamese Coffee - Absolutely loved standard Speedway, so when I stumbled upon this highly rated variant, I expected something even better. Didn't live up to the original IMO. Another rarity ranking.
    5) #168 Fuzzy Baby Ducks - Very, very average IPA. No idea why its on this chart.
    6) #249 Jackie O's Oro Negro - Nearly same rating as Jackie O's Bourbon Barrel Black Maple, but I found the BBBM substantially better for similar style brew.

skiking70, mkh012 and Junior like this.
  3. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,087) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Premium Member Beer Trader

All due respect, I don’t believe this thread adheres to the #RespectBeer credo this website espouses, and I heartily endorse. You’re essentially asking BA’s to tell a bunch of BA’s that they don’t know what they’re talking about.

PS: I had Mornin’ Delight at the brewery a couple of years ago (after a draw of Scorpius Morchella when it was brewery only - what a beer nerd day that was) and it was exquisite.

In
    My
    Humble
    Opinion

4. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Zealot (503) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Beer Trader

However, there's A LOT of threads that are straight shitting on beer and beer producers, most notably big beer.

Also, you don't need to tell other BA's to do that, they do it already, often.

MikeP64, DaverCS and Junior like this.
  5. MightyTrustKrusher

MightyTrustKrusher Initiate (139) Nov 5, 2014 New Jersey

I don't think implying that some beers that are highly regarded maybe aren't as good as their reputation suggests could be considered disrespectful to all but the most overly sensitive out there.

6. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Defender (645) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Beer Trader

Boneyard Hop Venom. It was here in town last night on tap and I made a special trip to try it. Not sure if because Vegas is hotter than hell right now and I was cranky from work but I just did not enjoy it. Felt it was a tad malty and slightly boozy compared to other great double ipas that I have tried. Still was happy to see a top 250 beer make it to Vegas.

MonkeyBread and bubseymour like this.
  7. readyski

readyski Aspirant (250) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

While I thought it was quite tasty, CBS didn't live up to the intense hype it received. Probably due to ease of access when it finally dropped all around me. Still aging one and will revisit in a year or so. I thought KBS did live up to its (lesser) hype, and I actually like that one more.

Vidblain, FLBeerGuy, flaskman and 4 others like this.
  8. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,090) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania

I've reviewed 44 currently in the Top 250 and enjoyed trying every one of them. The lowest I rated was a respectable 3.76.

I thought the pepper addition was very artfully done, but that beyond that, it didnt really stand out for me from all the other delicious Imperial Stouts available these days.

9. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,087) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana

BCBS gets a lotta love here.

And I'm not sure what denigrating beers in the Top 250 gains anyone on a board that celebrates beer, but I certainly could be wrong.

cindyjeffsmith likes this.
  10. SerialInebriate

SerialInebriate Devotee (468) May 16, 2004 Montana
    Premium Member

11. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (689) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I have had 11 beers from the list w/ a score. There are another 10 or so I have had and not scored.

The only beer I can say I was really disappointed with was Bodhi. Had it at the source and was really excited to have it and it just did not live up to its hype. Good beer but I did not finish my pour. I gave it to a friend. Maybe it was the day , time, last meal or many other things. I will try it again when in Ohio if I see it and see how I think it is.

The other beers on the list I had were very good and would have over and over again but even supplication , one of my favorite beers, I would no longer go out of the way for.

Beer is beer for be at this point and I can enjoy a top ranked beer or some beer most think is swill.

To me its more about the company I keep when I have a beer than the beer in my glass/can/bottle or plastic cup.

Most wanted on the list......Fou Foune

Best beer I've had from the list.....fresh Pseudo Sue

Enjoy

12. Junior

Junior Disciple (375) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I think this is a great topic. There are two for me:

1. No Rules. Easily the most disappointing on the list. It wouldn’t my my personal top 250. Closer to the bottom 5.

2. Hunapu’s. While decent, the pepper was just too overpowering for my taste.

All of the others that I’ve had (28 in total) have been fantastic and would love to have in the fridge/cellar at any time.

Vidblain, BeerseAnyone and GuyFawkes like this.
  13. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (291) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Julius is a joke of an IPA. Shakey training wheels on the ride to actual good neipa. CBS is riding high off of old glory, same with KBS. Many are there based on rarity alone. Ive had a bunch and the list as a whole is just fodder for secondary sales and the trade circus. Cool to pull out at a share but beyond that, useless.

14. Junior

Junior Disciple (375) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

No offense, but your comment would carry a little credence if you had reviewed or rated a single beer here. If you don’t like any of the top 250, what do you like?

15. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (1,870) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Member

I'm let down more often by beers on the Top 250 list than the Beers of Fame list.

16. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,022) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

Those that belong on the list, but lower in rank IMHO;
    • CBS
    • Bourbon Paradise
    Those that I think don't belong on the list;
    • Black Note

17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,165) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Pseudosue and morning delight were huge let downs for me. Bcbcs is pretty dated, as is bcbs.

mkh012 and rozzom like this.
  18. lanedlr

lanedlr Disciple (325) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I had Hoped Venom in Bend last week and it was utterly unremarkable and I can't believe it's in the Top 250.

warrendietrich2001 likes this.
  19. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,394) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Easily Black Tuesday. My brother and I couldn’t finish the 750

Vidblain, Sabtos and Benish like this.
  20. Benish

Benish Savant (991) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Black Tuesday. Not a good beer, nowhere worth being in the top 250. Such a boozy hot mess, quite difficult to drink. But I'm sure many will disagree with me.

Sabtos likes this.
  21. Benish

Benish Savant (991) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

You beat me to it!

WesMantooth likes this.
  22. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,587) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Awful beer fresh. Transcendent beer with about 3-4 years on it.

I'm not a member of the "age everything" club, but those 15%+ Bruery beers actually age quite nicely IMHO.

Vidblain, GetTheYayo, montman and 2 others like this.
  23. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,403) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

Julius was very underwhelming for me - solid NE style IPA, just nothing like what I expected given the hype.

Surly Abrasive - Aptly named - just a completely unbalanced beer that I did not enjoy. Its exactly what it claims to be and does that well, just not my cup off tea.

No Rules: Sounded soooo good, needed insulin after drinking it.

Barrel Aged Bomb sometimes the non-barrel aged beer is just much much better.

24. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,211) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

I love Abrasive and I think Julius is very good maybe a bit overrated

Vidblain, ovaltine and FBarber like this.
  25. Untitled04

Untitled04 Initiate (123) Jan 31, 2016 Korea (South)
    Beer Trader

Have had 201 out of 250. Real simple for me.

1. Every Trillium IPA that's not some form of Congress Street or Fort Point.
    2. Last Buffalo in the Park
    3. And everything else depends on batch. i.e. morning delight b2 is excellent, b3 drainpour, b4 meh. baa '14 is god like, baa '16 is almost god-like, baa'17 drainpour.

26. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,341) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Im a blasphemer and do not care for Enjoy By. It tastes like potent onions. I also dont think Breakfast Stout is that great but the label reminds me of Korn so thats cool.

But of those ive had, Green, KBS, Focal Banger etc.....i enjoy.

Vidblain, SFACRKnight and FBarber like this.
  27. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (291) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Not worried about my comment carrying credence based on that silly criteria. There is life beyond this website and how you want to try to shape the forum heirarchy to discredit my post is unimportant. An opinion was asked for and I gave mine. I didn't say I didn't like any of the beers on the list I have had. How they make that list and what that actually means is what I spoke to.

28. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (219) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I opened this expecting "How isn't Hamm's on the list? It's like totally rad" and "Tree House is for normies, they don't make a true NEIPA". 1 for 2 at least!

Daveshek28 likes this.
  29. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (683) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I feel like this list is totally out of whack due to the NE IPA hypetrain over the last few years. I'm guilty of overrating some of these beers and am now much more critical.

Rating beer is hard for a variety of reasons.

30. Billybobbrush

Billybobbrush Initiate (110) Aug 9, 2017 Illinois

Zombie Dust is a Pale Ale, not an IPA

31. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,505) Aug 17, 2013 Germany
    Beer Trader

I have tried 78 from the list, and the two most disappointing for me were from the same brewery. I just didn't think Maple Bacon Coffee Porter or Morning Wood were anywhere near as good as the hype surrounding them suggests. For me, they weren't even close to many beers that aren't in the 250. Of course, every one is different!

Mvsmvs92 and FLBeerGuy like this.
  32. SinjaminBentek

SinjaminBentek Savant (983) May 14, 2014 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

So having tried every beer on the Top 250. I'd rather share what I've learned in the process. As opposed to telling you which beers didn't meet expectations I prefer instead to tell you which brewers are producing/blending an incrediblely high quality product consistently.

These are the breweries I reccomend:

Side Project
    Hill Farmstead
    Cantillon
    Drie Fonteinen
    J. Wakefield
    Angry Chair
    de Garde
    Great Notion
    Sante Adairius
    Jester King
    Casey
    Weldwerks
    Cerebral
    Barrel Culture
    Barrel Theory
    Other Half
    Tree House
    Trillium
    Pulpit Rock
    Boiler Brewing
    The Answer
    Monkish
    Toppling Goliath (Stouts)
    3 Floyd's (Stouts)
    Bottle Logic (Stouts)
    More (Stouts)

Cheers!

mikeinportc, rmpic82 and Harrison8 like this.
  33. Billybobbrush

Billybobbrush Initiate (110) Aug 9, 2017 Illinois

I preferred Haze and Green much more that Julius. Still a well made beer.

spersichilli, Junior and FBarber like this.
  34. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,462) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri

Missouri's own Madagascar came up as a disappointment to me.

Finally landed a bottle of it and served it up one special evening. It tasted like spiced cola with a hit of bourbon to me. It was thin and weak. I ended up ordering it on tap a few weeks later and thought the tap version was amazing and worthy of some of the hype. Don't know if I got a bum bottle, but I thought it didn't deserve a whisper of the hype it has gotten during that initial drink.

35. Harrison8

This marked the beginning of my disappointment in Prairie. I thought BA Bomb was okay, and was subsequently disappointed in both their Pirate versions. Disappointing is not welcome when I'm paying a dollar per ounce.

Bourbon Paradise and Vanilla Noir redeemed them quite a bit in my eyes.

36. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,369) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey

You're doing it wrong.

On threads like this you're supposed to declare that your singular experience, where either your perceptions or the sample could have been off, supercedes everything everyone has ever said about that beer. :wink:

37. Harrison8

Apologizes.

I had a good beer and it sux - you all are wrong.

Better? :grin:

I guess this is a good opportunity for me to say I have another BA Bomb in my fridge. I'll open it at some point and see if my first experience with it was off. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to land another Pirate variant, so that impression may last indefinitely.

38. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (514) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa

The big one for me is Founders Breakfast Stout.

I like stouts, but this one just never does it for me. It's okay, but I've bought 6-packs over the years, and 1 or 2 of them end up sitting for a while.

Now, I've had it on tap at a good beer bar, and it was pretty darn good. Not sure what's up with that.

Scott17Taylor and Daveshek28 like this.
  39. Beaconheath

Beaconheath Initiate (122) Oct 10, 2013 South Dakota

I ran a few quick searches on the top 250. Every one of the top twelve featured an ABV between 8% and 15%. The list as a whole included something like 80 IPAs. Not a single hit for "pilsner," "lager," or "bitter." Conclusion: The list reveals a good deal about the reviewing community's tastes; it tells us nothing at all about the best beers in the world.

Mvsmvs92, FLBeerGuy, bmugan and 5 others like this.
  40. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,403) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

The beers of fame list is much better for that particular topic.