Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hop E Soul | Franklin's Restaurant, Brewery & General Store

franklinsbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by drabmuh on 10-18-2010

3.72/5  rDev -2.6%

I tried this beer from a growler; yet another beer shared with me by Deuane. I would describe the body of Hop e Soul as "muddy orange" in color, with a tan head that has good retention and leaves spotty lacing.

The aroma is pleasant orange peel hop bitterness mixes with a spicy, seedy rye character. The two are melded together so well in the aroma that I had finished half of the beer before I realized that what I was smelling was the combination of the two. Underneath those two comes some sweet malts, but just a bit.

Once again, the combination of spicy rye and bitter citrus flavors from the hops work well together, but this time in addition to orange peel there is a little bit of grapefruit and a resinous flavor from the hops. The caramel malt comes through next, and the finish has some hop bitterness, but also a bunch of spicy rye flavors again.

The mouthfeel definitely reflects the dominating combo of spice and bitterness; the body is medium in heft and the finish is a bit dry.

Not a bad beer at all. Good use of malted rye and the alchol is well-hidden.

3.97/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to drabmuh for sending me a growler of this. From one of the few places in my "general area" I have yet to visit.

A-Hazy, deep muddle orange tinted copper with a thin, light tan head that held on a left small flecks of foam.

S-Spicy, earthy, orange zest bitterness up front with a healthy caramel malt sweetness in the background offering up balance.

T-A nice combination of sharp, orange rind bitterness, caramel malt sweetness and a zesty, spicy finish thanks to the rye malt addition. This one is bold and flavourful and it works nicely.

M-Medium bodied, sharp, crisp and biting with a drying finish. Hop bitterness and rye spiciness are long lingering.

D-Good stuff. I was told this "wasn't too bad" when in reality I find this rye DIPA to be quite good. The spicy and hoppy aspects have been melded together well with just enough malt sweetness to add balance. At 8.7% ABV though this one deserves respect.

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

From 11/13/10 notes. Thanks to nimbleprop for sharing a growler of this.

a - Pours a nice amber-mahogany color with two inches of off white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, caramel malts, and fruity malts.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, plus fruit malts. Also getting more piney hops which I enjoy and did not get in the smell much.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty good IPA from Franklin's. Lots of nice citrus hops in the smell and taste. Not sure what the ABV is but felt like it was pretty easy to drink a few of. Would definitely try again.

3.64/5  rDev -4.7%

Growler shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

It's always exciting to try a new IPA / DIPA.

A: The beer appears a hazy orange hue. There is very little head to speak of and virtually no lace at all. It's immediately apparent that this beer is under-carbonated.

S: Surprisingly pleasant aroma with a great hop character vaguely reminiscent of Pliny.

T: A nice tasting beer with a delicious hoppy flavor. Severely under-carbonated. I would be very curious to try this again when it has proper carbonation. I have been informed that this beer has the same problem on draft. This growler was mere hours old, so this is certainly not a growler issue.

M: Again, severely under-carbonated to the point that this flaw adversely affects every aspect of the beer.

D: This beer has great potential. If Franklin's fixes the carbonation issues, I will re-review and re-score.

4.09/5  rDev +7.1%

New double IPA from Franklin's new brewer Mike. Another good one in the series IMO. I had this one draft and in a growler the other night, this review is for the on draft version.

Beer is amber and mildly hazy and forms a really lazy head of small and medium bubbles. Head is thin and short lived, beer is nearly flat it seems. I hope this is because it was put on recently and hasn't had a chance to carb up. Seems very undercarbonated, this is pretty much my only complaint about this beer.

Aroma is nice, CTZ hops if I'm not mistaken, very hoppy, mildly malty, smells good.

Beer is medium in body with little to know carbonation in the mouth. The beer is aggressively hoppy wtih a chewy earthiness and piny hop presence. This beer reminded me slightly of Pliny the Elder but its not quite there. I think the carbonation levels would improve this beer greatly. Another good IPA from Franklins.

Hop E Soul from Franklin's Restaurant, Brewery & General Store