Founders Crazpberry Sawce | Founders Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Added by StoutHunter on 11-29-2013

3.55/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the tap at the Blue & Grey Pub in Gettysburg, PA. The aroma is very sweet with raspberries. The appearance is a very nice red color with with a small pinkish head. The taste was a very sweet fruit flavor of cranberry and raspberry followed by a slight tart bite, very nice. Overall, a really good fruit beer that looks exceptional.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a a couple pours from a growler of Founders Crazpberry Sawce that my buddy picked up from Founders. Founders can makes some Solid Fruit Beers so i'm interested to see how this one turns out, so let see how it goes. Poured from a fresh growler into a tulip.

A- It poured a nice dark red color that was almost burgundy and it took on more of a brighter hue when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of reddish pink lacing that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a nice tart aroma with some raspberry and cranberry aromas coming through with the cranberry seeming to stick out the most. There's pretty much no malty aromas in this beer, the fruit dominates it. This beer had a nice aroma, there's no hiding that this is a fruit beer.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a really high amount of tartness that I can feel in the back of my tongue and cheeks, it's pretty overwhelming at first and it's followed by some nice raspberry and Cranberry flavors with the Cranberry still sticking out the most at first but towards the end comes some Raspberry flavors that combined with some bready malt flavors remind of Rubaeus. On the finish the tartness still lingers and there's a fruit and cranberry like aftertaste. This was a fine tasting beer, but I thought the tartness was a little too high for my liking,

M- Not the smoothest, clean, a little sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was fine and it worked well with this beer, but I wish it was smoother.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a fine example of a fruit beer since I thought they did a good job of showcasing the fruit flavors, but I thought the tartness got a little out of control which is probably from the Cranberrys. It's easily the tartest beer I have ever had, no contest. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it was super tart and acidic which was a good recipe for heart burn so I would limit my self to one glass, but I think in small portions it would make for a great dessert beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma. I thought it was nice and fruity with the right amount of tartness to it. What I liked the least was the high amount of tartness in the taste, i think toning it down a little would help this beer out and make it more drinkable. I might order a small glass of this, but I don't think I would buy a growler of it and I would recommend it to anyone who likes really tart fruit beers. All in all i enjoyed this beer, but in small quantitys, i usually like tart beers and ciders, but this one pushed the tartness to the extreme and it proved to be too much for even me to handle, I think if the tartness was toned down some it would be a pretty good beer and I wouldn't mind seeing it in four packs as a seasonal or specialty release. Nice work guys, I'm enjoying these new and innovative beers.

Founders Crazpberry Sawce from Founders Brewing Company