Founders / Sun King - Riding The Rails Hoppy Lager
Founders Brewing Company

Founders / Sun King - Riding The Rails Hoppy LagerFounders / Sun King - Riding The Rails Hoppy Lager
Beer Geek Stats:

n/a
Notes:
4.34/5  rDev 0%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

CAN you believe what @jkblr sent me for inclusion in New Beer Sunday (Week 717)?!? I had some legwork ahead of me for this one, including taking & resizing a pic before adding it with all of its specs.

From the CAN: "A Sun King Brewery and Founders Brewing Co. Collaboration". It comes CANplete with their respective state maps and stars indicating where each is located. The handcar on the label is passing a crossing sign marking the crossroads of Indiana & Michigan! As a railroad buff, this one speaks to me on many levels.

I Crack!ed open the vent on this gem & beCAN a moderate Glug into the awaiting glass. It rewarded my gentleness by puffing upwards, forming just under three fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention, leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was a gorgeous Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity, prompting a visit from The Gelt Gang of Midas, Mammon & Croesus, all desirous of a taste. Nose was not as hoppy as the name would indicate, but it was very clean-smelling, adjunct free with a strong bready maltiness & a light grassiness. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but certainly big for a Lager. The taste was actually quite citrusy, kind of a lemon-grapefruit hybrid! I CANnot tell you why I did not pick it up on the nose, but I definitely got it on my palate. What a bracing start to the day! Finish was crisp, clean & dry. It would be absolutely thirst-quenching on a hot, humid Summer's day & it was no slouch on this chilly late-Fall morning. Leave it to the Midwesterners to knock a home run. Muy Bueno!

Founders / Sun King - Riding The Rails Hoppy Lager from Founders Brewing Company