Leapin' Leprechaun Ale | Weston Brewing Company & O'Malley's Pub

Availability: Spring

Added by hwwty4 on 02-23-2009

Reviews: 18 | Ratings: 33
4.09/5  rDev +71.8%

Poor? Really? We shall see.

Pours from the can a tall golden glow with a ripe, fluffy head of 4 fingers. SRM = 3, opacity 20%. Weizen glass is the serving medium, and it leaves lace and specs here and there. So far, looking good.

Aromas of bananas, cloves, clover leaf (haha), baked golden malts, and rye. Nose is delectable and smelling like a winner to me.

Flavor is bready, with hints of banana and clove and bubble gum, and a nice malt finish with a juicy hoppy bite. Off flavors include chalk and ash, but those are so far off in the distance it's barely worth mentioning.

Feel is creamy and substantial, with a polite carbonation propping up this piece. Finish is semi-dry yet still wet and quenching. Invites another sip. And another.

Overall? Get yer sticks out of yer asses. If this is getting a "poor" overall score on BA and something like Stone's Arrogant Bastard is getting "outstanding", something is wrong. I'd swap both of those titles instantaneously. Nice work, WESTON!

2.19/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Slightly hazy straw yellow. White head that recedes rapidly. No lacing.

Aroma: Cereal grains, syrupy sweetness, metallic notes.

Taste: Starts with a sweet, syrupy body that's almost chewy with sweetness. Grains and malts fill out the rest of the taste, barely.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Overall: Why any brewer would release an American Blonde Ale as a St. Patrick's Day beer is beyond me. This doesn't taste like a beer from a microbrewery, the sticky sweetness is overboard.

2.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Clear, pale yellow to straw with a slight head that immediately dissipates.

Smells of wet hay and raw dough.

Grassy and somewhat uninspired, this is a run-of-the-mill beer. Well balanced with a light finish.

Light body and watery texture.

Easy to consume. There is no distinguishing character and this is similar to mass-appeal beers produced in St. Louis. I suspect this is for people who enjoy macro lagers, but still want to be a little different.

This beer can use some work. Regardless, I am thankful for the opportunity to have tried it.

1.54/5  rDev -35.3%

I bought a six pack of this beer last weekend. I had visited the Weston Brewery last October and liked what I drank there, so I felt that this would be good too. Apparently I only bought the festive box it came in because I was sorely disappointed.

Out of the bottle I could not pour the beer and get a head over a quarter of an inch. -Red flag. The appearance is of a light blonde, which being a stout man is a bad sign. To me the beer smelled of cream corn with a zest of lemon peel. The taste I could not pinpoint. It reminded me a lot of Annheiser's Shock Top, just not as good. Maybe Weston's flavor is at the bar where it is much fresher and on tap. This beer ended with a metallic twang. I don't think I will buy another 6 pack of Weston brew again.

2.9/5  rDev +21.8%

There was not much of anything to this beer. The body was a nice hay color with a lot of carbonation and that was about it. For all that carbonation to the body there was virtually no head even after I gave it a hard pour. There was a little island of white bubbles in the middle and that was that. It had a bit of an off grainy and vegetable aroma. The flavor was better. It was mainly corny with some mild bitterness. It had a thin mouthfeel with a strange after taste.

2.31/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured out a clear, golden yellow color with no head to speak of. No lacing either.

S - Weird musty/grassy aroma. Not good.

T - Tasted of sweet caramel with a grassy bitter hop bite. Much improved from the aroma.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A light bodied ale that is easy drinking.

D - When am I going to learn to stop buying Weston brews! At least I only bought one.

1.99/5  rDev -16.4%

Yellow and slightly hazy, smooth rising bubbles, ok head, ok lacing.

Smells a bit skunky and earthy, yet grainy and a little wheaty. Mostly not very good in this dept.

Taste is a bit of citrus, plenty of wheat, a smidge of malt and a touch of hops. Takes so-so a little too far.

Mostly light, reminding me (unsurprisingly) of a wheat beer. Smooth carbonation and little aftertaste.

Drinks so-so at best. I've had better.

2.1/5  rDev -11.8%

I really wanted to like this beer since it is brewed in the area. Alas, I just couldn't do it.

Appearance: Light amber, very little head with minimal lacing. The appearance doesn't kill it, but it doesn't help and makes one worry a bit.

Aroma: Upon smelling it one could tell it was beer. Beyond that there was little to recommend it. The smell reminded me of stale mega-lager. There might be some hop aroma if imagination kicks in, but nothing that added to the anticipation.

Taste: There was a bit of hop-bitterness but not anything that was good. Just enough hint to suggest they tried. Not enough maltiness to make up for it. Could it be a pretend kolsh?

Moutfeel: Thin, a little cloying, forgetable

Drinkability: Lawnmower beer. Unfortunately it's February.

I honestly came at it with an open mind, but it disappointed at every turn. I didn't pour it out, so if you're really thirsty...

1.65/5  rDev -30.7%

The first time I tried the Leprechaun, we had some friends from out of town come in. We were hanging out on the deck during this unusually warm February weather. I had already gone through a number of beers of various styles. I figured I might as well give it a shot. After one sip I tossed the remainder of the beer off the deck. It was cloyingly sweet like some malt liquors. In fact there was a Mickey's Wide Mouth I had later that night that tasted better.

This time I am approaching this with a fresh palate. A 12 oz bottle poured into a Smithwick's pub glass. There is a thin, 1/4 inch white head that quickly disappears. No lacing at all. Body color is clear pale straw yellow, matching the color of most macro lagers.

Smell is a sweet corn adjunct aroma. Grainy with just a hint of grass. Taste has a mildly rancid corn flavor. Clearing the palate has not improved the flavor, it's just making it more tolerable. There is a slight peppery finish that I was not able to notice the first time, however that is no saving grace. The flavors are still thin yet sweet.

The mouthfeel is watery, very thin body. I think Weston was going for drinkability for St. Patrick's Day celebrations. I suppose if a crowd was drunk enough they would be able to pound these down. Sadly this is going to go down as another "Miss" for Weston. It is really too bad, because I really want these guys to succeed.

2.61/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of russpowell. Thanks Russ, I think. lol

No bottling date or best by date.

It pours, yeah, blonde with a good 1 finger head of foam and looks to be pretty good with the lacing.

The smell is grainy and I can smell some corn so it's very much like an American Adjunct Lager in that regard.

Some grain and corn in the taste as well with a slight bitterness near the finish where the flavour really drops off and becomes very watery. Come on guys, just because it's a nice low 4.5% abv doesn't mean it has to have as little flavour as this!

Light bodied, medium carbonation, very thin mouth feel and for a low flavoured, low alcohol brew, it has low drinkability. My oh my.

3.02/5  rDev +26.9%

Picked this up as part a mixed sixer, still probably a risk given this "brewery"

Pours an effervescent gold with a thumb of pearl colored head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Cereal notes & slight grassyness

T: Slight biscuitty malt flavor mixes with cereal & grassy hops up front. Some metallic flavors trickle through as this warms along slight lemony hops & sweet cereal as this warms, slight cloying sweetness surfaces as well. Finishes semi-crisp & with cereal sweetness, & grassyness very forgettable I must say...

MF: Light bodied, crisp, fairly firm carbonation

Drinks slow, not a drain pour, but not one I really ever want to have again, ever

1.5/5  rDev -37%

Worst beer I've ever had. Bought it just to try something Irish-related 'round St. Patrick's day

Poured fizzy pale yellow with just a thin rim of head. No entertaining bubbly show (stream o' bubbles flow up from the bottom) like I expect in lighter beers.

Smelled like sweet corn and a whiff of grain alcohol.

Very watery and carbonated feel.

Taste was fermented creamed corn and light sweet malt. Were only adjuncts used to make this?

Couldn't pawn the rest of the six onto my buds, think they still have it in their fridge.

3.3/5  rDev +38.7%

A - There may be something wrong with this bottle of beer. When I poured it I got a good six inches of head an no body. The head is pure and bright white. The body that is now forming slowly appears in clear yellow. One thing I will say is that the head retention is strong.

S - It has a slight cider aroma with a finishing tinge of soap.

T - Slight citrus on top of a light malty base. There's a bit of a bitter finish with a slightly sour edge. For a blonde ale it has a bit more flavor than one would imagine.

M - The feel is slightly coarse with a huge amount of carbon dioxide present. The feel of this brew is its best characteristic.

~ This beer for some reason is getting a really bad rap here on BA. I urge you to give it a try and really think about the beer and don't compare this beer to anything except other blonde ales. Cheers.

1.7/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours with very little head. Color is a light yellow. Aroma is almost non-existent. Reminds my of a light pilsner that was watered down. If the goal was to brew a neutral-flavored ultra-light beer they succeeded.

While not bad enough to pour down the drain, I won't drink the other five bottles. Maybe my kid will take the remainder. It might taste okay after a 12-pack of something else.

1.06/5  rDev -55.5%

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy, very pale, straw-colored body. No head whatsoever.

Smell: Out-and-out diacetyl. It's almost comical. Almost.

Taste: Essentially a pure butter flavor. With no malts or hops to try and help obscure it, that's all this is.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium-low carbonation. Grotesquely slick mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Incredibly awful. This is one of the worst brewing jobs I have ever encountered. Avoid at all costs!

From a twelve ounce brown bottle - Pours a whitish Fresca-like color with slight haze. Absolutely unattractive. Smells like 5th grade art class...if you ate paste back then. First sip is as bad as the aroma. Not worthy of any more keystrokes. Avoid this so called beer.

2.43/5  rDev +2.1%

A hazy straw colored brew with a quick disappearing white head that does leave a bit of lacing behind as it retreats.

The aroma is lightly sweet grain with a hint of grassiness and somewhat reminiscent of fresh sweet corn.

The taste is also vaguely like fresh (uncooked) sweet corn with a slightly dry, grassy finish and an odd mineral note.

Light bodied, somewhat watery mouthfeel. I'm not at all sure what this all has to do with St. Patty's day or the Irish, but the label is interesting.

1.58/5  rDev -33.6%

Thanks to the beer guy at Royal Liquors for giving me this gem of a beer as a joke. This is the first Weston brew they've carried in a while because they promised Weston promised it wasn't infected.

I poured a 12oz bottle into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a crystal clear straw with a small head that left no lacing at all. The aroma is a bit canned corn with a odd sweetness that must come from the malt. The flavor reminds me of canned corn and coarsely ground grains steeped in mineral water. The mouthfeel is light and a bit dry. Unfortunately this is another beer in the long line of sub par beers that Weston has put out. It's really unfortunate.

Leapin' Leprechaun Ale from Weston Brewing Company & O'Malley's Pub