Leapin' Leprechaun Ale | Weston Brewing Company & O'Malley's Pub

Availability: Spring

Added by hwwty4 on 02-23-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.09/5  rDev +71.8%

Poor? Really? We shall see.

Pours from the can a tall golden glow with a ripe, fluffy head of 4 fingers. SRM = 3, opacity 20%. Weizen glass is the serving medium, and it leaves lace and specs here and there. So far, looking good.

Aromas of bananas, cloves, clover leaf (haha), baked golden malts, and rye. Nose is delectable and smelling like a winner to me.

Flavor is bready, with hints of banana and clove and bubble gum, and a nice malt finish with a juicy hoppy bite. Off flavors include chalk and ash, but those are so far off in the distance it's barely worth mentioning.

Feel is creamy and substantial, with a polite carbonation propping up this piece. Finish is semi-dry yet still wet and quenching. Invites another sip. And another.

Overall? Get yer sticks out of yer asses. If this is getting a "poor" overall score on BA and something like Stone's Arrogant Bastard is getting "outstanding", something is wrong. I'd swap both of those titles instantaneously. Nice work, WESTON!

3.39/5  rDev +42.4%

1.5/5  rDev -37%

2.25/5  rDev -5.5%

2.75/5  rDev +15.5%

3.5/5  rDev +47.1%

2.19/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Slightly hazy straw yellow. White head that recedes rapidly. No lacing.

Aroma: Cereal grains, syrupy sweetness, metallic notes.

Taste: Starts with a sweet, syrupy body that's almost chewy with sweetness. Grains and malts fill out the rest of the taste, barely.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Overall: Why any brewer would release an American Blonde Ale as a St. Patrick's Day beer is beyond me. This doesn't taste like a beer from a microbrewery, the sticky sweetness is overboard.

2.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Clear, pale yellow to straw with a slight head that immediately dissipates.

Smells of wet hay and raw dough.

Grassy and somewhat uninspired, this is a run-of-the-mill beer. Well balanced with a light finish.

Light body and watery texture.

Easy to consume. There is no distinguishing character and this is similar to mass-appeal beers produced in St. Louis. I suspect this is for people who enjoy macro lagers, but still want to be a little different.

This beer can use some work. Regardless, I am thankful for the opportunity to have tried it.

3.5/5  rDev +47.1%

1.54/5  rDev -35.3%

I bought a six pack of this beer last weekend. I had visited the Weston Brewery last October and liked what I drank there, so I felt that this would be good too. Apparently I only bought the festive box it came in because I was sorely disappointed.

Out of the bottle I could not pour the beer and get a head over a quarter of an inch. -Red flag. The appearance is of a light blonde, which being a stout man is a bad sign. To me the beer smelled of cream corn with a zest of lemon peel. The taste I could not pinpoint. It reminded me a lot of Annheiser's Shock Top, just not as good. Maybe Weston's flavor is at the bar where it is much fresher and on tap. This beer ended with a metallic twang. I don't think I will buy another 6 pack of Weston brew again.

2.9/5  rDev +21.8%

There was not much of anything to this beer. The body was a nice hay color with a lot of carbonation and that was about it. For all that carbonation to the body there was virtually no head even after I gave it a hard pour. There was a little island of white bubbles in the middle and that was that. It had a bit of an off grainy and vegetable aroma. The flavor was better. It was mainly corny with some mild bitterness. It had a thin mouthfeel with a strange after taste.

2.31/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured out a clear, golden yellow color with no head to speak of. No lacing either.

S - Weird musty/grassy aroma. Not good.

T - Tasted of sweet caramel with a grassy bitter hop bite. Much improved from the aroma.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A light bodied ale that is easy drinking.

D - When am I going to learn to stop buying Weston brews! At least I only bought one.

1.99/5  rDev -16.4%

Yellow and slightly hazy, smooth rising bubbles, ok head, ok lacing.

Smells a bit skunky and earthy, yet grainy and a little wheaty. Mostly not very good in this dept.

Taste is a bit of citrus, plenty of wheat, a smidge of malt and a touch of hops. Takes so-so a little too far.

Mostly light, reminding me (unsurprisingly) of a wheat beer. Smooth carbonation and little aftertaste.

Drinks so-so at best. I've had better.

2.1/5  rDev -11.8%

I really wanted to like this beer since it is brewed in the area. Alas, I just couldn't do it.

Appearance: Light amber, very little head with minimal lacing. The appearance doesn't kill it, but it doesn't help and makes one worry a bit.

Aroma: Upon smelling it one could tell it was beer. Beyond that there was little to recommend it. The smell reminded me of stale mega-lager. There might be some hop aroma if imagination kicks in, but nothing that added to the anticipation.

Taste: There was a bit of hop-bitterness but not anything that was good. Just enough hint to suggest they tried. Not enough maltiness to make up for it. Could it be a pretend kolsh?

Moutfeel: Thin, a little cloying, forgetable

Drinkability: Lawnmower beer. Unfortunately it's February.

I honestly came at it with an open mind, but it disappointed at every turn. I didn't pour it out, so if you're really thirsty...

1.65/5  rDev -30.7%

The first time I tried the Leprechaun, we had some friends from out of town come in. We were hanging out on the deck during this unusually warm February weather. I had already gone through a number of beers of various styles. I figured I might as well give it a shot. After one sip I tossed the remainder of the beer off the deck. It was cloyingly sweet like some malt liquors. In fact there was a Mickey's Wide Mouth I had later that night that tasted better.

This time I am approaching this with a fresh palate. A 12 oz bottle poured into a Smithwick's pub glass. There is a thin, 1/4 inch white head that quickly disappears. No lacing at all. Body color is clear pale straw yellow, matching the color of most macro lagers.

Smell is a sweet corn adjunct aroma. Grainy with just a hint of grass. Taste has a mildly rancid corn flavor. Clearing the palate has not improved the flavor, it's just making it more tolerable. There is a slight peppery finish that I was not able to notice the first time, however that is no saving grace. The flavors are still thin yet sweet.

The mouthfeel is watery, very thin body. I think Weston was going for drinkability for St. Patrick's Day celebrations. I suppose if a crowd was drunk enough they would be able to pound these down. Sadly this is going to go down as another "Miss" for Weston. It is really too bad, because I really want these guys to succeed.

2.61/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of russpowell. Thanks Russ, I think. lol

No bottling date or best by date.

It pours, yeah, blonde with a good 1 finger head of foam and looks to be pretty good with the lacing.

The smell is grainy and I can smell some corn so it's very much like an American Adjunct Lager in that regard.

Some grain and corn in the taste as well with a slight bitterness near the finish where the flavour really drops off and becomes very watery. Come on guys, just because it's a nice low 4.5% abv doesn't mean it has to have as little flavour as this!

Light bodied, medium carbonation, very thin mouth feel and for a low flavoured, low alcohol brew, it has low drinkability. My oh my.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast