Fireberry

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Notes:
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 12 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Shipyard Brewing Co. "Fireberry"
12 fl. oz. can without production codes or freshness dating, sampled on 1 May 2018
$2.49 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

I've already reviewed their Maui Mango but most of that review already fits here so I'll just cut and paste it in here - So this is a beer brewed with tea? Yerba Mate and Fireberry Herbal Tea. Sounds interesting. The label also reads "Ale with natural flavors" so are they in addition to the tea, or what's already in the tea? I also see that this is Shipyard's "classic wheat ale". - So, OK, there are two tea versions of their classic wheat ale. Are there more? Let me check... It doesn't look like it but I'm not 100% positive. Anyway, the Maui Mango looked like a traditional golden wheat beer but this is a darker orange. Not that I've never seen a wheat beer with this kind of color, but it's just different. It's got a full head of creamy bright white foam on top but it appears to be dropping already; the same thing happened with the Maui Mango. On to the aroma... I'm reminded of a raspberry wheat. There's some tea in there as well, just coming across as a bit of something leafy, and I wouldn't know it was tea if I hadn't known it was already in there. The flavor offers more tea, actual tea-like flavor, wrapped in sweet malt and fruit. I looked up "fireberry" to see if it was a rel fruit, it isn't, it's just the name that Tiesta Tea gave their blend. It contains hibiscus, elderberries, currants, rooibos tea, sweet blackberry leaves, candied cranberries, (cranberry + sugar), rose hip, natural flavors, and rose petals. So there is are natural flavors in there, but I think there are also some natural flavors added to the beer itself; my guess would be raspberry. Overall I like it, and I'm interested to try the actual tea, but I'll ask the same question I previously asked about their Maui Mango - if this tastes so much like a raspberry wheat ale why bother with adding the tea? You could get very close to this without the tea, which has to be expensive. Or am I wrong and the tea is actually adding more than I can tell? Or is the minor difference really worth it. I don't know. Not unlike the Maui Mango it's fairly sweet with a limited bitterness but also some tartness that helps to round and balance it. Medium bodied and crisp. It makes a great summer beer. I'll say it's worth trying.
Review# 5,982

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A clear brass color with a small white head that disappeared quickly
Sweet fruit aroma, tea.
Taste followed the nose. Berries and tea.
This one is also too sweet for my taste.

3.81/5  rDev +1.1%

12 ounce can into pint glass, canned on 9/25/2017. Pours lightly hazy pinkish golden/orange color with a 2 finger dense and rocky off white head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of lightly tart cranberry, blackberry, raspberry, currant, hibiscus tea, wheat, cracker, white bread, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Nice aromas with good balance of berries, tea, and pale/wheat malt notes; with good strength. Taste of lightly tart cranberry, blackberry, raspberry, currant, hibiscus tea, wheat, cracker, white bread, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Very mild herbal/floral/grassy bitterness and berry tartness on the finish. Lingering notes of cranberry, blackberry, raspberry, currant, hibiscus tea, wheat, cracker, white bread, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice robustness and balance of berries, tea, and pale malt flavors; with a great malt/tart/bitterness balance, and zero astringent flavors after the finish. Moderately crisp/clean finishing. Lightly increasing dryness from bitter/tartness. Medium carbonation and light-medium body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy, lightly sticky, and slightly tangy mouthfeel that is great. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 4.3%. Overall this is a very nice American pale wheat ale. All around nice robustness and balance of berries, tea, and pale/whea malt flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink with the very mildly tart/bitter finish. Was expecting way more tea/berry presence, but it's actually very well restrained and pleasant. Very flavorful and not watery for the ABV. A very enjoyable offering, and spot on style example.

3.48/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a can of Shipyard's Fireberry last week for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. It's been a while since I've had beer from Shipyard and I'm curious to see how this one will turn out, so lets see how it goes. 2017 vintage. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a nice design to it and it's just a little eye catching. It poured a pretty cloudy darker orange color that didn't change when held to the light and it had about a fingers worth of slightly creamy and slightly fizzy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it didn't leave much lacing behind. This is a solid looking beer, but I wish it left some lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with a tea aroma being the first to show up and it impart some typical tea aromas that go right into a nice fruity and berry like aroma that make for an aroma that reminds me of a fruity tea with some grassy and earthy tea aromas coming through. Up next comes a slight bit of doughy yeast that leads into the malts which are on the light side and they impart some pale malt, light grainy, light wheat and sweet malt aromas. This beer has a nice aroma, but it could use some more balance, the tea seems to cover up most of the beer base.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it's just slightly more balanced and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the fruity tea being the first to show up and it imparts the exact same aspects that it did in the aroma and it's still the aspect that sticks out the most in this beer. Up next comes a slight bit of doughy yeast that goes into the malts which impart all the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time they show up just slightly more and that gives it just a little better balance. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with some sweetness taking it's place and it had a fruity, berry and earthy tea like aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but I still wish the base beer was a little more noticeable.

M- Smooth, a little prickly, a little refreshing, not overly sweet, very crisp, on the full side of being light bodied with a higher amount of carbonation. This beer has a pretty nice mouthfeel and it works well with it.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and it's a little bit above average for the style, it wasn't bad, especially for a tea beer, but I thought that it would be better if the base beer was at least noticeable. This beer had nice drinkability, I could drink a couple, but the taste would start to ware on me after that. What I like the most about this beer is the mouthfeel, it's pretty good and it's the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance,, i just found the fruity tea to be too overpowering. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I might not turn it down and I would on;y recommend it if your want a beer that dominated by fruit tea flavors. All in all I didn't mind this beer, but it's nothing that I would go out of my way to find. It's not a favorite Shipyard beer and it's pretty close to being an average example of the style. Decent job guys, but with a little more work on the balance and I think this could be a pretty nice beer.

2.98/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

A: Amber with a pinkish hue. Bubbly white head sputters out after a few minutes. No lacing.

S: Berry juice blend (mostly sweetened cranberry and raspberry?), hibiscus, and some light grassy/herbal notes. That's pretty much it.

T: Raspberry and cranberry juices bring a good dose of fruit-derived tartness with them. Yerba mate grassy bitterness rides up a bit on the mid. Tea comes forward middle to end. Tart/bitter finish.

M: Medium-light body. Carbonation is active and crisp.

O: Interesting. Quite a bit more dry and crisp than the Maui Mango comes off, mostly because of the tart rather than sweet fruits used. Still, the yerba in particular brings a foreign-feeling bitterness that just doesn't *quite* fit. With little malt or hop influence, things are compounded. While Maui Mango perhaps suffered a bit due to its sweetness, here the tartness lets the bitter yerba and tea flavors take over more than they should.

Fireberry from Shipyard Brewing Company