Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

La Mouska | Brasserie d'Oc

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by CrellMoset on 12-17-2008

Reviews by bayinghound:
4.42/5  rDev +43.5%

I actually quite enjoyed this, though I probably couldn't drink it without food. When I had it, it was at a beer dinner. It was somewhat fruity, I think this would appeal to people who aren't into hops. I don't remember it being all that malty, the muscat was there for sure. I haven't seen this around too much in stores, a handful of stores in my area carry it. I only know of one distributor in Virginia who carries it.

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%

Bottle from 2013, been in the cellar for nearly a year.

Vigorous pour, had to catch it before it erupted, foam settled down quickly.
Orangey look with small bubbles streaming upwards.
Not much aroma faint fruity waftings.
Taste is excellent, with a peach note, not too carbonated, actually a bit flat but smooth and sweet.
Pleasantly surprised, wasn't expecting great things but this is good, reminds me of a lighter Scaldis Peche (a peach triple, delicious).

2.94/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

This was my least favourite beer from the three i had. It tastes and feels like a radler...

Beer bottle (33 cl.), tasted in 2008.

Appearance : yellow color, with white foamy head (not persistent.
Smell : Musky and floral aromas.
Taste and mouthfeel : fruity flavours, with alcohol presence (Muscat).
Drinkability : an average beer flavored with Muscat de Frontignan.

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.24/5  rDev +5.2%

33 cL bottle courtesy of dkachur - thanks! Brewed with Muscat de Frontignan (2%), whatever that means. Split two ways, with my portion poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden color with loads of active carbonation, a fast-fading, off-white head, and tons of yeast that settles out pretty quickly, forming a nice splatter pattern all over the bottom of the glass. Doesn't leave much lacing or film - very sedentary looking.

Aroma: Pungently sweet and fruity. It's obviously the Muscats, though it's reminiscent of and evokes a lot of other fruity notes, pineapple among the most prominent of them. It's not terribly complex, though it is pleasant, a little tart, tannin-esque, too.

Taste: Very bizarre. The fruit note is almost funky, deeply sweet, with lots of heavier sugars. Tons of earthy tannin notes, woody, florally, apples, pears, slight spice - white pepper, perhaps. It's an interesting combination, though a little offputting in its uniqueness. Almost white chocolatey in places.

Mouthfeel: Big and bubbly and thin. Not terribly impressive.

Drinkability: This is one strange beer, with tons of odd, not easily recognizable, funky flavors. I'm glad I gave it a shot, but I can't see myself going for it again.

La Mouska from Brasserie d'Oc