110K+OT Batch #2 - I.R.I.S. | Cigar City Brewing

110K+OT Batch #2 - I.R.I.S.110K+OT Batch #2 - I.R.I.S.
4.08/5
Exceptional
110K+OT Batch #2 - I.R.I.S.110K+OT Batch #2 - I.R.I.S.

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by cjgator3 on 05-12-2009

4.08/5  rDev 0%

didn't expect to see this beer at a share - many of the flavors were still there - the nose was good too. it was just a little off and thin for a RIS and some oxidation was present (I blame age, not the stout.) I would of like to of tried this back when it was released.

4.02/5  rDev -1.5%

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I did let this one cellar longer than I should, but the bottle ain't bad. Still carbonated with a half finger head on initial pour. Dry chocolate Flavors with a viscosity that lingers in the back of the mouth.

Drink it already.

Bottle 417/449

3.47/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle 221/449. Pours one shade shy of black with no head; just a tight band around the edges. Nose is chocolatey and boozy with some clear elements of oxidation present. Taste is ashy, oxidized and reveals soy sauce, black licorice and baker's chocolate. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a mild carbonation and a slightly watery texture. Overall - this beer is past its prime.

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Finally getting a chance to open the 110k batch 2!! I can't recall who was kind enough to trade this to me but I'll go through and update this at a later date. Thanks!,

Looks like the traditional CCB stout. Not quite as thick, but a nice head (after 4 years even!) and some decent lacing.

Smell is pretty much Cocoa powder. Nice chocolate and roast aroma.

Taste is very nice. Smooth and easy to drink. Thinner than their modern stouts, this has a nice chocolate taste with some roasty, smoky flavor and a hint of raspberry!

Love this beer! Four years old and drinking great! Probably not many of these left but if you can get one

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

3.55/5  rDev -13%

Appearance: Pours a midnight black with very little head; the well-tanned foam fades quickly, leaving just a ringlet behind in a matter of seconds; it does dot the side of the chalice, leaving quite an impression

Smell: The cedar leaves quite an impression, complementing the charred, dark fruit, licorice and chocolate elements

Taste: As with the aroma, the cedar dominates the flavor profile from start to finish; there is a great stout underneath, with dark chocolate, licorice, molasses and dark fruit flavors but the cedar is so dominant that it is hard to find the stout for the cedar

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low to moderate carbonation

Overall: Perhaps it is the age, perhaps it is the cedar but I just don't care for what this beer has become; guess it is another one I should have pulled from the cellar at an earlier stage in its development

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks a TON to pete for hitting this long time want of mine! Consumed on 8/8.

a - poured the typical cigar city black with the thin tan head. coats the glass and just stunning. leaves some spotty lacing.

s - a bit oxidized and has a hint of wet dog, but still lots of roast. some chocolate. as the brew warmed it got a bit spicey too.

t - WOW. chewy. kind of like hunah, but a bit spicier and without any cinnammon. very roasty. peppery.

m - thick and a bit spicey.

o - overall, this would've been a good one to try fresh, but super glad to get to try it even now. seems to have held up. what a great tick as this was one of my first wants when i first discovered cigar city. great flavor and definitely like a hunah jr. in fact, i would guess that this was a test batch of either a variation on hunah or searching out the perfect hunah recipe. stout with spices...it just works.

110K+OT Batch #2 - I.R.I.S. from Cigar City Brewing