Czech Style Pils

Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Czech Style PilsCzech Style Pils
Notes: Our Czech Pils is brewed with Saaz hops which have a spicy bitterness with a floral flavor and aroma. Drinks smooth and crisp with a clean malty palate and a slight hint of grass.

Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 16 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
HoppingMadMonk from New Jersey

3.81/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Medium bodied,above average carbonation . Aroma was malt, yeast, hop bitterness,cereal and moldy floral taste followed nose, mild hop bitterness and was more sweet than the aroma hinted at. Overall it was a decent attempt at the style and the differences from what I expect from the style is what made this enjoyable

Aug 05, 2018
BlackBeerPirate from Illinois

3.46/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Taste: crisp biscuit notes, fresh wheat citrus, finish has a slight grapefruit sour finish. Slight herbal sweetbread nose. Honey color, hazy, with white head with some delicate lace. Medium/Lite body.

Apr 28, 2017
dacrza1 from New Jersey

3.62/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

DATE: February 25, 2017... OCCASION: Celebrating Will's 10th birthday and the Blue/Gold dinner with a "Pivo of the Year" winner... GLASSWARE: Ommegang Hennepin pokal... pours a hazy, dense golden body that produces sparse, outsized bubbles... white lacing forms characters--Hebrew? Arabic?--in intriguing scripts and spirals... malt forward, with sweet biscuit, Saaz spiciness, and some floral notes... banana, herbs, and a 40-ounce bluntness... a medium-bodied, textured sip, one that is lively, sweet at the finish, and engaging throughout... flavor profile is as expected, with the malt making its finish malty and sweet... its spiciness creates nuance--most pilsners don't make this bold a claim at 4.8%--and I didn't expect Big Muddy to produce a Pivo of this quality... as part of a break pack mix, I might not see this around much, but I would definitely seek this out again, especially when it hits at 4.8%...

Feb 26, 2017
Suds from Missouri

3.9/5  rDev +4%

This brew is a golden color with a light white head. The aroma is typical Czech pils...floral, light bread, notable hops. The taste is soft, balanced, if not just tilted sweet. The body is firm and full and the finish has a pleasant hop character. Well made.

Feb 04, 2017
WoodBrew from Ohio

3.4/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

O bought a bottle of this off the single shelf at Binnys. It poured a hazy yellow with thin white head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent is non-descript. The taste is nicely balanced and easy to drink. There is bread base and crisp hop. The Mouthfeel is lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall it's a good beer.

Dec 21, 2016
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.46/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

No reviews?!? And no pic, either, until I took care of it. Jeez, Louise, it's only been on here for well nigh two years! I am working to eradicate my bottle backlog, plus I am on a Lager kick currently, so this fits right in.

From the bottle: "The Great St. Louis Czech Beer Festival 2014 Pivo of the Year".

I had no idea that such an event existed! I might enjoy attending someday. In the meantime, things kick off with the Pop! of the cap. Speaking of a cap, that was precisely what appeared when I employed an aggro pour. I got a two-plus finger cap of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention! Color was a gorgeous Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity, prompting yet another visit from The Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon. It looked like liquid sunshine in my glass! Nose was redolent with Saaz hops and boy, if you are going to call your brew a "Czech Style Pils", that had better be what my sniffer gets on the first try. Mouthfeel was medium, but soft, gentle & caressing on my tongue. Czech me if I am wrong, but I think that the Czech Republic is renowned for having hard water, where this was very soft. I just Czeched - this is definitely the case in Prague. It is a minor point, but one that bears noting for purists. The taste was phenomenal! It was very grassy and mown hay-like with a light biscuit maltiness underneath the immediate and unrelenting hops. Finish was as dry as the Zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara Desert. This was just the way I like my Pilsners - Czech style & not afraid to pile in the Saaz hops. I keep reading/hearing about a coming American hops shortage which may force brewers to branch out and use new hops and/or try brewing new types of beers & I hope that Czech-style Pilsners are among them.

Oct 24, 2016
zeff80 from Missouri

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle. Poured out a crystal clear, straw-yellow color with a small, cream colored head of foam. It smelled of toasted caramel, grains and grassy notes. Sweet caramel and toffee with a minimal hop bite.

Aug 12, 2016