Love Belgian Beer?

Twisted Pine Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Made with 6 chiles including Anaheim, Fresno, jalapeño, serrano, habenero, and ghost chile.

Added by Todd on 01-11-2011

Reviews: 175 | Ratings: 575
1.11/5  rDev -64.1%

Hey they warn you so if you drink it it's on you;)
It's really a hot sauce mixed with a little beer.
I'm a beer loving chili head so I finished the whole bottle.
You can use this to:
Make a great Michilada
Cooking anything you want to add heat to
Opening you sinuses when you are stuffed up

3.25/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This beer is hot. Amid the burn, I could not detect any beers quality. I loved the nose, as it smelled of fresh picked peppers. If you can't take heat, skip the beer and do not complain it is too hot. You are going to burn. After the novelty of trying the beer, I probably will not do it again

2.89/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

The label got a face lift. I was always curious to try this one but never did, until my girlfriend actually brought me one home. So now it's time to give it a shot.

It pours a pale blonde color, almost white out of the bottle. The head is 2 fingers but diminishes speedily leaving hilly lace.

Aromas of pepper seeds - red bell, jalapeno, serrano. Underneath that are musty malts and and bright grains.

Flavor - holy shit, this is hot. Like whoa hot. My entire collarbone/throat/neck are on fire. From one perspective it's impressive, from another, it's not really enjoyable. Nothing but heat can be sampled. Nothing. Just PEPPER and BURN. I feel I need to take another drink to quench the burn, but that's just going to be a vicious cycle. It's like drinking pepper oil.

Feel is light bodied, carbonated...um...feel........what else, fire? Nose is running, need a tissue...

I can respect this beer, but I drained most of it, even after I let my g/f try it. It was just too hot to enjoy. Hence my overall score. The heat is incredible on this, you'll break out in a sweat. If you drain most of it, you can't enjoy it, and enjoy it we did not.

4.02/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is not an everyday beer, but you feel like a nice kick in the face this fits the bill.

I understand the poor ratings, but if you don't like it HOT then what the hell are you doing?

Yes, this is hot. Very hot... And I put ghost pepper hot sauce on everything.

Frog in my throat is weird though :)

1.86/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden clear color with a very small head and no lacing. Scent is very much of hot peppers. The taste is too spicy. The ghost pepper is prevalent, but there is no let down in heat on the tongue and the back of the throat. Wife could not even drink more than 3 sips and this was her beer. I got two sips and quit. Just too much and no balance of heat to flavor.

1.32/5  rDev -57.3%

woooooo! This is a hot one, It will leave a burn in your throat. They weren't kidding about it being the ''hottest beer this side of hell''. It pretty much just tastes like pepper juice with little to no beer flavor. I tried it with 2 other people and we didn't make it past 1/4 of the beer. You're a champ if you finish one and a lunatic if you drink more than that at once.

2.08/5  rDev -32.7%

Hazy golden color. Head, what head?
Smell is medicated bandage and nothing else.
Taste is similar but restrained. Peppers are noticeable, light malt, nothing else.
Medium-ish body, lighter end for carbonation. Warms the tongue. Not for the faint of heart nor for those who don't like spicy. Overall, not really worth drinking.

1.44/5  rDev -53.4%

Golden color pours well, Slight peppery smell, weak mouth feel. Taste, well it reminds me of accidentally grabbing the spit can of Copenhagen without the mouth feel. I like chili Beers this beer is just nasty. All heat no acceptable flavor.

4.23/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer does exactly what is says it does! Initial malt profile, with pepper hitting2 seconds later and filling a mild burn from the throat to the nasal cavity! Well done! It could be a bit clearer, possibly a cold break, and for the amount of oils from the peppers the head retention wasn't bad. For anyone liking spicy foods this is a serious try!

2.78/5  rDev -10%

I Saw a chili beer made with the ghost pepper and, as lover of peppers, I had to try it. The golden color was about what I expected, and I grew excited upon smelling the what was predominately pepper, with just a hint of malt. I expected a flavorful beer with a good kick that. I was right about the kick which is hotter than the average person would normal accept, but I was disappointed with the flavor. There was little to no flavor that stuck out as beer. While it did taste strongly of peppers, there was no definition to it. I had to really focus on picking out the individual peppers and in the end barley noticed the hints of sweetness that you get from the habanero peppers in it. Mostly though it was like dried cayenne. I decide to grab a different beer and use the rest as a base for a marinade for my chicken fajitas. I don't think I'll ever buy it to drink, but I will buy it to try in some other recipes.

1.22/5  rDev -60.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Pours hazy gold, with one inch head that goes quickly. Smell is green vegetables. Taste is heat and liquid peppers. This is the hottest beer I have ever had. My mouth is burning. Reminds me of Cave Creek chili beer. I like a well balanced chili beer but this does not have much beer taste at all. If you like drinking straight hot sauce, this is your beer. Not for me at all.

1.06/5  rDev -65.7%

Tried this with some friends. I normally like spicy things but this was far too much.

L: Lighter than I expected, almost yellow.
S: It even smells hot - there's nothing else there except the spiciness/heat.
T: There's no beer taste whatsoever - it's completely overpowered by the chiles. I'm pretty sure I could have breathed fire after just a mouthful of this.
F: It's too hot to comfortably sip at all.
O: No. My friends were cooking chili and ended up putting it in there, where it will probably be better served versus ever drinking it again.

3.67/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, purchased as a single, for about $3.95 (can you say hype?)

Pours clouded dull lighter amber, with lots of sediment kinda stuff floating around. Minimal head, film, collar and no lacing.

Strong pepper on the sniff.

This shite is HOT...as a chili pepper head and enjoyer, this one is the real deal.. ...if you do not enjoy the aroma flavor and yes burn of copious amounts of capsaisin / chili pepper flavor and heat, stay away...but if you do..this one just may be for you....I found it tasty and enjoyable...I dont really feel like another one...one will do just fine....probably would be a nice and tasty addition to a pot of fiery chili...enjoy with caution!

3.81/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz. Bottle

Pours a nice slightly cloudy golden amber color, very nice carbonation, with a nice one-finger creamy off-white head, which leaves some sticky lacing. The nose is hoppy, with some nice malt notes, some pepper/spice notes. The taste is pretty good, hoppy, slight malt note, very spicy/hot for a beer. Medium body, with a slightly dry/bitter/hot finish. Overall, a very tasty/nice brew, surprised the shit out of me how hot/spicy this brew is, might be a little bit hotter than the Stone Crime, but a lot less ABV.

2.45/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This beer is almost an endurance challenge.just reeks of chiles which is what it says i suppose.this was too much for me,so spicy and gave me heartburn for an hour after 1 sip.a novelty beer.

3.06/5  rDev -1%

Reviewed from notes. Shared by Jeremy. An experience I never want to have again. Heat followed by more heat. Destroyed taste buds. A golden chili bomb.

3.94/5  rDev +27.5%

Yeah, the ratings are all over the place on this one. Is it a chile "beer"? The label says "malt beverage." Big, thin, foamy head that immediately dissipates, leaving no lacing. Aroma is peppers, not much else. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. But the taste is just as you'd expect: no perceptible beer flavors to speak of, just a long and lingering heat. Stay with it long enough and you begin to pick up some of the fruity hints of the habañero and ghost chilies. Not entirely unpleasant. It is what it claims to be, and that's OK by me.

3.65/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a Mason Jar, golden brew with no head, aroma was fresh peppers and not much else. With the first taste your mouth fires up with pepper heat...just like the label implies...it goes on to light up your throat. By the 3rd sip you might think DRAIN POUR...I never have done that and hope never to have to. No lace to be had but the heat get more acceptable as you drink on, you get a little beer taste when you have about 3 drinks left. Overall I think this does what is says on the label, it is a gimmick beer but fun to try. As a true Chili Beer it falls short because you can't really taste the beer but I rated it for the label...it's designed to shock the mouth...which it did.

3.61/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Notes from 1/28/15

A - One finger of fizzy, white head that quickly dissipates to nothing. Poor lacing and effectively no retention. Deep, clear golden body with plenty of visible carbonation.

S - Raw, vegetal chili pepper (jalapeño), some dried chills (cayenne). Sweet, fruity (apple) maltiness.

T - Sweet fruitiness that I can't nail down because it quickly moves to dry cayenne and earthy, vegetal, smokey spiciness (chipotle in adobo). Finish is linger spiciness that you'd get from a fresh jalepeno, membrane and seeds included. Fruitiness comes through again in the finish but not enough to balance out the burn.

M - MEdium carb. Body is tough to get ahold of because the pepper is tongue swelling hot. Obviously, a spicy, tongue burning finish.

O - Nice interplay between dried and fresh hot peppers. The fruity sweetness (maybe apple juice) balances nicely with the heat. I'm not sure how great the underlying beer is, but its a great, intensely hot beer. If you can handle a fresh jalapeño with seeds and membrane, you can handle and enjoy Ghost Face Killah.

3.64/5  rDev +17.8%

Kinda tasted like a crappy beer saved by ghost pepper. I enjoyed the heat till about half way through the bottle and had to recap it. It's getting an over 4 because I cooked my dogfish brats in the ghostface and it added nice kick. Good for cooking, not for drinking

2.17/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.25

Quick review. The only thing about this beer that moves me is the aroma, subtle & deep with multiple chile components playing together. Everything about the palate is defined by brutal spiciness - way to hot - devoid of any chile flavor in favor of brute force heat. To me, this barely reads as a beer. I can see this appealing to the hot wing challenge crowd, but beyond that I'm not sure that there could be much of a market for something so single-minded.

3.02/5  rDev -2.3%

This is a great beer to share. Because if you don't, no way in hell with it get finished. I was good for about an ounce, at best. Pure heat and pure torture if you want to drink it all.

1.15/5  rDev -62.8%

Ok, well it LOOKS like beer.

This was punishing to drink. Two sips and then down the drain. I suspect that the brewer had some VERY bad beer, and decided to cover the flavor with peppers. I hope they didn't waste good beer when making this.

3.59/5  rDev +16.2%

Well I have to try a beer that says it will kill my face!

Chill hazed golden amber beer.

The pepper isn't very subtle at all. Strong fruity and smoky hot pepper. Exceedingly spicy smelling. Smells like fresh roasted and peeled chile pepper.

Starts out sweet and smoky and it doesn't lie about this packing a punch. DEEP warming of the chest and not because of alcohol either. Quickly turns to mostly smoky flavors, think Mexican Rauchbier. Fruity after you acclimate to the heat.

Mouthfeel is a mouthful of Tabasco sauce!

Overall a Powerful chile beer but you had damn well be able to tolerate hot peppers!

12 oz bottle

No pour. - Straight from the bottle.

Little malt smell and spiciness.

You get a little malt and carbonation but the heat overwhelms it almost instantly.

Can't feel inside of your mouth to know what the body is like on this. It was wet?

Bought it on a dare. Passed it around at a party - it made it back to me with about 1/3 left. While it was being passed around - several exclamations like "OH MY GOD", "What the Hell is that?" "Water, water, water." I don't have any issues with heat - hot and spicy. But when it's so hot you can't taste anything else for 30 minutes it doesn't really serve a purpose. Buy one to cook with, maybe take a sip so you can so you did.

Probably great for a beer batter, simmering sausages or brats, and marinades.

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine Brewing Company