Cherry Vlad | Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by DefenCorps on 09-30-2013

3.91/5  rDev -5.3%

2016-10-01
Small wineglass pour at Slow Boat Tavern for Zwanze Day.

Pours slightly hazy pinkish, slightly pinkish creamy head. Smell is a little cherry and not much else.

This is a review for Live from the Barrel Cherry Vlad, as sampled at the Cascade Barrelhouse.

This pours a pink-red with a great cherry kick. It's tart, like all the cherry pies you ever wanted distilled into liquid form. Can't tell that it's 13-something percent abv. Absolutely fantastic.

3.77/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.56/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +9%

4.75/5  rDev +15%

4.64/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I had this on tap ... several times. Sure I'm a sucker for Vlad. The regular, the anti, so maybe I'm being a bit biased. Seems Cascade has been on a cherry fix for a while. However, this one I feel is fantastic. The thing is, this beer made me go wow! Why? Well for me if a beer can, at first sip make me go wtf, then after a minute .. then swallowing I taste something different then I'm impressed. Well this is that beer.

When I first swirled a bit in my glass, then took a few sniffs I got the typical vlad, sour, and bit of carbonated cherry. When drinking this guy, you get a blast of sour bitterness. Like a cherry wall of sour and bitter. But after swallowing you are left with the vlad greatness and cherry. That's really what it's like. I kept drinking and it was always the same. Even my wife said the same thing. I personally haven't had such a change of taste from a sour before. I've had probably 10 glasses of this stuff and it's been consistent all the way through.

Not sure this is for everyone, however from talking to the servers it's been selling really well. I hope that it keeps selling well and maybe they will bottle it. IMO the vlad is awesome, and adding the cherry to it makes it even better. I'm hoping we'll get a bottle of this because I'd be stocking up.

4.73/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Cascade. Pours a dark red murky color into a snifter glass. The nose has notes on cherry, dark fruit, bourbon, and funk. The taste is like a sour old fashion, not overwhelmingly bold on any front but the cherry. Very well balanced. I wish they would bottle this one. Absolutely fantastic.

2.71/5  rDev -34.4%

Cherry Vlad 2012, a blend of spiced blond quads barrel aged 13 mos in Heaven Hill Bourbon barrels with cherries. Served from the barrel at the Barrel Room yesterday

The cherries have really infused the beer with color, this looks nothing like regular Vlad. The nose is over the top with the blend of cherry and spice. This is unfortunately, a train wreck. Pungent clove, black pepper and basil, this is a spicy, boozy mess.

Cherry Vlad from Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub