Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Winter Madness | 3 Stars Brewing Company

Reviews by Swift989:

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

My brother brought over a growler full of this beer, freshly pulled from the cask. The brewery calls it a winter warmer, not entirely sure that I agree with that though.

Poured directly from the growler into a snifter. Carbonation is barely present as opening the growler released almost no pressure. Pours a hazy mahogany color, light penetrates the beer the whole way through. No head whatsoever.

Nose is full of raisins, dates, molasses, a good bit of booziness (relatively indistinct) and some underlying chocolate. I was told that this batch was conditioned with juniper berries, I don't get much of any juniper in the nose, just a faint hint at best.

This beer excels in taste above all else. It tastes of rich malts giving lots of dark fruits, molasses and caramelized sugar. There's some booze in there, but it's very complimentary to the raisin and date flavors. The sweetness fades pleasantly, giving way to lingering juniper. There is a little bit of nutmeg underlying throughout.

A large body is good for a beer of this alcohol content. It drinks like a beer with far less alcohol. It has almost no carbonation. Although normally I'd consider these to be negatives, it really works with this beer.

Overall, this is a really complex beer. I find each sip greets me with a slightly different tasting experience. I suspect being cask conditioned really helped this one and had it been kegged, it would be way hotter and probably unpleasant. Despite the alcohol content, I could see having a few glasses of this. Definitely a welcome surprise for my thanksgiving dinner.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

Growler shared by Travlr. Thanks Gene!

The beer appears a hazy mahogany hue with a small head. The aroma brings dark fruits, booze, toffee, caramels, brown sugar, dates, raisins. The flavor is complex, albeit a bit sweet and boozy. Though I don't gravitate toward this style often, I found this rather enjoyable, and even went back for a second small pour. Medium bodied with lingering notes of chewy caramels. Fairly low carbonation. A solid beer.

Winter Madness from 3 Stars Brewing Company