Bungalow Rye ESB | House of Brews

3.68/5

House of Brews
Wisconsin, United States
houseofbrewsmadison.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Added by dhannes on 05-08-2012

3.9/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I was very impressed by this brew. Somewhat malty for an esb, and not as bitter as most, more peppery from the rye character, which is not overdone and blends nicely with specialty malt fruitiness and floral hops, which are in abundance. Just a well made, sessionable beer.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

3.96/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from tap into standard pint at local TexMex restaurant.

A=Amber red with off-white foam head that didn't last very long.

S=Detected hops and spiciness.

T=Initially told that this was an amber, until I visited the bartender who informed me of the rye and ESB...tasted like many ambers, except with more of a spice/hoppiness to it. Rye was detectable, but only barely so. I paired this with tacos, and, surprising, this complimented the food fairly well.

M=Low to moderate carbonation, and moderate body made this rather drinkable...could see as a session beer for some.

O=I would like to try this again once I know which foods it would be better with...there are others out there that I prefer a bit more however.

Bungalow Rye ESB from House of Brews