Green Mind 2018

From:
Bunker Brewing Co.

Maine, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
4.29/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pint can poured into tulip at cold cellar temp

Pours a very hazy, creamy burned orange color, completely opaque, and a finger of foamy white head that's slowly settling, leaving some lacing

Nose is citrusy hops - Meyer lemon and tangerine, and Mineolas much more than grapefruit. Sweet Meyer lemon is big. I'm getting some sour peach, and some grapey/berry notes. I'm actually picking up on some very interesting yeast character. Like this Belgian Farmhouse/saison thing going on. This is quite the nose. It's incredibly complex, and like no other IPA/APA I've ever smelled. Stunning.

Palate is a flash of sweet malted barley, which is then blitzed away by dank over fruity hop dryness. This one has a very interesting hop profile. I definitely get that Meyer lemon first. It's not just vague lemon. It's specifically Meyer lemon. Oily and sweet dark lemon. I'm also getting the tangerine notes too. But wait...there's...is this Brett? There is a wild funky tartness in here as well. There is a subtle, though serious wild yeast character in the background right before the finish, that reminds me of some really good wild ales/sours I've had. I haven't gotten this in an APA/IPA before. This is lovely. It's quite subtle, but it's instantly recognizable to anyone who's familiar with wild ales.
The bitterness is on the very back end of the finish. It builds, drying this up tremendously, but then fades away, leaving little to no astringency.

Feel is medium, with a light crispness about it. It's quite drinkable, but I'd like to savor it, because it has some serious depth and character. It finishes chalky dry. Carbonation level is on the high side of medium. It's definitely pretty bubbly, but I like my beer bubbly.

Overall, this is my first example from Bunker, and I am very, very impressed. I have to say this is perhaps the finest example of the style that I have found (subjective). I'm a huge fan of wild/sour ales, and this has that little something special that appeals to me in the way those funky ales do. This ticks every box for me for an American pale ale, and even adds it's own pre-ticked boxes. I love this. Will buy again. Highly recommend.

Green Mind 2018 from Bunker Brewing Co.