Backwoods Brigade | Frey's Brewing Company

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by RandomExile on 10-28-2013

Reviews by RandomExile:
3.17/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy orange, rich dense persistent head, significant stratified lacing
S: Not sure what to make of it ... this farmhouse ale genuinely smells like a farmyard: pungent fertilized earth. Maybe appealing from a naturalistic standpoint?
T: Did not see this coming. It's like a smokey herbal tea. I've had a strong Argentine tea called mate`, and that's the best comparison I have, but smoked, with farm earth. Rated a 3.5 because once I adjusted my expectations and viewed it as a smoked-tea beer, I enjoyed it. If you like Rausch beers, there's a note here you'll appreciate, but you have to want the strong herbal presence as well.
M: Lighter-bodied, smooth
O: Ok, this was weird. I wound up liking it, but I really had to think through it. Still not remotely impressed by the nose, but the beer-tea hybrid wound up working for me.

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%