Bublik

From:
Grimm Artisanal Ales

New York, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
BublikBublik
Notes: This 2.2% kvass-style ale is the product of a playful collaboration with our Moscow friends at Zagovor Brewery. Using Shelsky’s Bagels legendary pumpernickel bagels and plump Thompson raisins, we brewed this low ABV, tart probiotic beverage that is best described as “liquid bread.” Perfect for the height of summer, Bublik packs a flavorful punch in the most refreshing, sessionable way possible. Rich, spicy notes of fresh-baked rye bread on the nose lead to a savory sweet swirl of molasses and dark dried fruits. The finish is all tang that crackles pleasantly on the tongue.
Victory_Sabre1973 from Minnesota

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a blind review consumed on 10-28-19. I've never had a beer from this style before, so I had no idea what to expect, and my review is probably not the best in the world.

This beer pours a dark red/brown color. 2 finger off white head. The head retention is decent. No lacing on the glass as the head dissipates.
The nose is kind of a wild fruity aroma. A sour, or wild ale? Somewhat funky.
Taste - This is a sour of some kind, at least it's going in that direction to me. There's a tartness to it.
This is quite bubbly. The carbonation lingers in my throat. The tartness lingers in my throat.
Interesting beer. I'd say a wild ale or sour, but I am liking it.

Oct 30, 2019
Jacobier10 from New Jersey

3.96/5  rDev +5.3%

On-tap @ Grimm Artisanal Ales in Brooklyn, NY.

"This 2.2% kvass-style ale is the product of a playful collaboration with our Moscow friends at Zagovor Brewery. Using Shelsky’s Bagels legendary pumpernickel bagels and plump Thompson raisins, we brewed this low ABV, tart probiotic beverage that is best described as “liquid bread.”'

My first Kvass! Saw this on the tap list and had to give it a shot.

Light brown/amber in color with little to no head. Sweet caramel malt aroma with raisin or dark fruit notes. Very tart and bread flavor, which sounds like an odd combo but it actually works. A little bit of spice on the back end. The low ABV keeps it easy drinking and refreshing. Very unique and tasty, I would definitely have it again.

Oct 03, 2019
alexsergio from New York

3.54/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Only my second kvass, so not even sure how to rate to style. I love almost everything that Grimm does. Not this one. I admire the effort to put out a beer in this style. Just not for me.

Sep 23, 2019