PsycHOPs

Notes: Formerly known as #013 PsycHOPs
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 16 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.71/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Intense bitterness at first but it tends to move a little fruity. Some orange Creme, grapefruit, tangerine ends the taste. Supported by a stiff barley, caramel and grainy malt. The bitterness is a bit resiny and stays on the palate after it's done.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle. Poured out a clear, golden amber color with a small, white head of foam. It smelled of pine, orange peel and toasted caramel. Sweet citrus up front with piney bitterness and a roasted malt finish.

3.57/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

2015-12-21
12oz bottle served in a tulip. Delivered to me by glorious mr-jj. Stamp on the neck is 10:50 2555 SP.

Pours hazy amber with a small head and low movign carbonation. Smell is a nondescript bitterness with just a hint of fruitiness.

Taste is aging (but not ancient) hops. You can still get a lot of the juicy character the nose suggested, but the deep nondescript bitterness dominates it. Moderate amount of honeysuckle. I'm not sure how old this beer, but I'd guess around a 100 days, if the julian date was 255. If so, this could be a very pretty beer if fresher.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and dry. Overall, not a bad beer as it is.

3.56/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter from a 12 oz bottle. Beer name has changed to PsycHOPs.

Color is clear copper with a fluffy white head. Lots of lacing. Smell is tropical fruit, pine and caramel. Taste is similar - lots of malt backbone. Reminds me of a Lagunitas beer with the strong malt, but without the unique hop profile. Mouthfeel is smooth with medium body and carbonation. Overall, a good DIPA, but a bit too malty for my personal tastes.

3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

This is a decent DIPA. It is a contender, but I find the smell and mouth feel are lacking. The balance between hops and malt isn't bad, but it wouldn't keep me from ordering something else for my second bottle to see if I could out do this. I find this is priced above other Wisc. Brewing Co. offerings which moves it above some other DIPAs that are clearly superior. Because of the higher price, it won't find a ride home from me very often. I like that Wisc. Brewing is reaching for something better, but for my money there is better. This MAY be the best of this variety from them as of 8/16/2015 that is to my taste, but the price was high by about $2+/6 pack.

4.2/5  rDev +10.8%

I am one for strong beers, so this one naturally got me going.
Hits you in the face with hops. Bitter at first but opens up to be quite fruity. Opens the sinuses. I gave this beer to some friends who don't drink IPAs, and they appreciated how much flavor there was to the beer. An absolute favorite.

PsycHOPs from Wisconsin Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 88 out of 100 with 16 ratings