Whiskers On Kittens

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Whiskers On KittensWhiskers On Kittens
Notes: A blonde sour ale made with a few of our favorite things. Sweet, floral and exploding with sour flavor, this ancient ale was made born in Venlo, named in Düsseldorf, adopted by Vienna and reenvissioned by our brewers to capture to essence of Austria. Bold, crisp and majestic as the Alps, this wild sour ale sings upon the hilltops.
Reviews: 9 | Ratings: 66
4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 2/27/2019. Pours slightly hazy medium golden yellow color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense and fluffy white head with solid retention, that reduces to a thin ring of lace. Light spotty lacing on the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big tart/sour lemon, lime, orange, peach, plum, pear, apricot, melon, red/green apple, white grape/wine, oak, hay, straw, floral, grass, wheat, cracker, and white bread; with lighter notes of oaken vanilla, peppercorn, leathery/musty/lacto funk, and yeast/oak earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of fruity/funky/acidic/spicy yeast, moderate oak, and pale/wheat malt notes; with big strength. Taste of big tart/sour lemon, lime, orange, peach, plum, pear, apricot, melon, red/green apple, white grape/wine, oak, hay, straw, floral, grass, wheat, cracker, and white bread; with lighter notes of oaken vanilla, peppercorn, leathery/musty/lacto funk, and yeast/oak earthiness. Light-moderate lactic tart/sourness, Brett tang, and light yeast/oak tannin spiciness on the finish. Lingering notes of tart lemon, lime, orange, peach, plum, pear, apricot, melon, red/green apple, white grape/wine, oak, hay, straw, floral, grass, wheat, cracker, white bread, light vanilla/pepper/funk, and yeast/oak earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Awesome complexity, robustness, and balance of fruity/funky/acidic/spicy yeast, moderate oak, and pale/wheat malt flavors; with an awesome malt/tart/sourness, and yeast/oak spiciness balance; with no puckering flavors after the finish. Fairly crisp/clean finishing. Light-moderate increasing dryness from lingering tart/sour/spiciness and carbonation. Medium-plus carbonation and light-medium body; with a very smooth, moderately bready/grainy/acidic/tangy, and fairly tannic balanced mouthfeel that is great. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 5.5%. Overall this is an awesome sour blonde ale. All around awesome complexity, robustness, and balance of fruity/funky/acidic/spicy yeast, moderate oak, and pale/wheat malt flavors; very smooth, crisp, clean, and refreshing to drink with the modestly acidic/tangy/tannic/drying finish; not overly lactic. Very flavorful and not watery for the ABV. Awesomely well rounded Brett/Bacteria complexity; with great oak presence, and pale/wheat malts against acidity. Minimal residual sweetness with crisp drying. A really enjoyable offering, and impressive style example.

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Thanks Dwayne.
This was poured into a tulip.
The appearance was a bronzed golden yellow color with a super quickly dissipating little white head. No lace.
The aroma had some apple cider vinegar punching at some lemon juice - slightly sour then some grassy hop notes and some woody sour features.
The flavor was moderately sour with an ample tart and sweet apple cider to acidic vinegary character. Acidic sour lemon to apple-like aftertaste, pretty quick.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied, maybe a touch under with a fair sipping quality about it. Carbonation felt mostly good, maybe a touch under. ABV seemed on par. Definitely a sour woody to green apple crisp finish.
Overall, good American wild ale, definitely more or less the old school sort of quality and not so fruit forward as many are these days. I'd have this again.

4.26/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I am CANtinuing New G7, I mean, D9, New Beer Summit, I mean, Sunday (Weak, I mean, Week 694) with this beer. It's going to be yuge!

From the bottle: "A blonde sour ale made with a few of our favorite things. Sweet, floral and exploding with sour flavor, this ancient ale was made born in Venlo, named in Düsseldorf, adopted by Vienna and reenvissioned by our brewers to capture to essence of Austria. Bold, crisp and majestic as the Alps, this wild sour ale sings upon the hilltops."

I Pop!ped the cap & started a slow, gentle pour since I have no idea what to expect from these Wild beers! I love getting wild, but at this hour, with a workday looming, nah. Once properly decanted, an in-glass swirl raised the briefest finger of fizzy, tawny head yet before fading to wisps, leaving no trace of its presence. Say, is there actual cat in this beer? Color was unquestionably solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Meow! 8=O I will be up front & say that as a hophead with GIRD, this is usually NOT my cuppa, but the nose was citrusy and even honey-like & I perked up like a cat when the CAN opener starts. Meow! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but not much beyond, either. The laser-quick effect of the claws on this was downright startling! Meow! It shot right into the back of my mouth as if a mouse were cowering back there & then unleashed on the hinges of my jaw, making my ears ring in agonized response. Oh, my, Whiskers! Be a nice kitty, whydoncha? Meow! No pucker, so this was not tart in any way, shape or form. Just sour. Whew. I am stunned that it goes at such a relatively low price point! I have had others of this ilk that made me regret my outlay, but here, I was down with it. The tastes ranged from melon/cantaloupe to lemon/grapefruit to vinegar to that sour smell that ashtrays used to give off the following morning as I chewed my arm off to quietly escape, deep in the throes of regret. Well, YMMV. Finish was gaspingly dry. Gack! Meow! I need some water & my inhaler. Y'know, I actually enjoy this sort of abuse.

3.92/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

- Blonde Sour Ale in Duvel glass. Titratable acidity = 825 mg/l. With tamed Micro-flora. Never Kettled.

A: A pristine bright orange, has a varied quick release of macro-bubbles. A sudsy, bread white head dissipates quickly by style, to a polished surface offering no window dressing.

S: Lightly tart oranges, with a fresh field of micro-floral scents. Clean with some lemon sourness, gentle strength, wish it had a bit more umph.

T: Big sourness of tart oranges and lemons gives some sour citrus of a generous proportions making up for a rather soft aromatic sense. Strong acidity, some sour fruitiness of white grapes and sour pineapple tropical highlights. Crisp palate with some saffron honey and micro floral wild yeastiness is very smooth.

M: Very crisp with a good bite and snap to it. Razor sharpness around the tongue with an active and bubbly coating on the tongue. Medium body, oily slick feel. Pucker up.

O: After a soft aromatic entry, the flavor did not disappoint with a big sourness factor on the open that made your eyes open, or squint, for that matter. Very good drink-ability, you will want to take your time with this one. Firm crispness and sourness by style, savor to the last sip.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tasted on tap in a snifter at the Pour Taproom in Charleston, SC. Nice burnished golden color with just a hint of haze. Decent head and tasting. Delicious aroma of green apple is tart but there is a cotton candy sweetness as well. The flavors are of fruit and low malt with a dominant (but not harsh) sourness. The sweetness from the aroma is not in the flavor. Silky carbonation and slight alcohol presence. This is a wonderful, nuanced wild ale, among the best I've had in the US or Belgium.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Overall very nice sour. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a flute. Bright, clear gold color on first pour followed by more hazy dull gold on other pours. Kind of a jolly rancher apple sourness and tartness dominate both the aroma and flavor. The main fruit is apple with maybe some citrus. The tartness/sourness is very pronounced, but not over the top. This is a very drinkable sour ale. Mouthfeel is rich and tart. Still goes down easily and is very refreshing. I would seek this one out again.

Thanks to Wil for this one!
Golden amber color, fizzling foam, spotty lace.
Apple, cranberry, crabapple, minerals in the aroma.
Tart and crisp, malic acid and crapapple notes. Puckering with a moderate tartness, not really sour.
Very slight oxdation, minor berry note.
Overall it's interesting stuff, fairly unique.

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

L - I love the way they describe their beers: "This Austrian style altbier follows one of the earliest Reinheitsgebot oaths: 'I will not brew a Tollbier!' We also added some raindrops & roses & let it spontaneously sour." Pours pure foam. Aw man, it's one of these beers... I poured as slowly as I good and got half head, half beer. I'll take it. Crystal clear gold in color with the loudest goddamn head you've ever heard. Thick and foamy and pretty much screaming at me as it melts away and caves in on itself. Pop rocks.

S - the tiniest touch of barnyard funk. Rich lemon and grassy, earthy undertones. Is that the rose? Slightly sweet, like laundry detergent. No wait, not the detergent but the fabric softener! Yeah, that's the stuff. Faint mildew... like the basement in that one overrun, half-rotted cabin on your family's property in Pennsylvania.

T - puckering sour punch! Lemon warheads with some citrusy fruits hanging out in the background. Some orange, some cherry, a lot of tang. Makes my lips tingle like some good ol' curry or preworkout. Has a bit of grape must on the finish. Damn, this makes me teeth hurt. Potent stuff!

F - overly aggressive. The foam did not lie. Wasn't sure what was more shocking upon my first sip: the tartness or blistering carbonation. Hot damn! Honestly not a fan because it makes the beer hard to drink. Best I can muster is a tiny sip, otherwise my mouth fills and overflows with foam. Take me out back and shoot me, pa, I got the rabies. Points for packing a punch though. That I can appreciate. Carbonation thankfully calms down a bit as the beer warms, allowing my face to be thoroughly sucked in by the flavors.

O - another aggressive brew from D9. These guys know their way around interesting flavors and certainly do not hold back. Not sure if they have a problem with carbonation or if I just let it sit in the bottle too long... I mean, it is a sour so I figured it could handle it. Bottled 10/26/2015. Not even a year old.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

I really enjoy this beer, I am just getting introduced into a few sours and this one really emphasizes the sour. There are strong citrus flavors that combine the sourness of lemon with an orange or grapefruit flavor. Not for everyone, but that's more for me. Only experienced on draft so far.

Whiskers On Kittens from D9 Brewing Company