Super American Sparkler

Gots
SCORE
n/a
Super American SparklerSuper American Sparkler
Notes: Saison with blueberries and strawberries added
3.76/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I had gotten this CAN for The CANQuest (tm) through Tavour before we parted company & as it will be my 54th birthday today (M, 25 Febrewary 2019) by the time that I submit this review, I thought that it would be fitting for the occasion. I liked Tavour well enough, but between a massive backlog of beer here at Chez Woody & their local shipper's unwillingness to be flexible on delivery times, I gave up. YMMV.

From the CAN: "Saison with blueberries and strawberries added".

My two most favorite fruits are strawberries and blueberries, in that order. When I was a kid, the order was reversed, but as I have grown older, strawberries have moved to the forefront.

I Crack!ed the vent and beCAN a slow, gentle C-Line Glug into the awaiting glass. I was glad that I went slow, rather than aggro since it was given to some massive foaming action! It puffed up mightily to form three-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, pinkish-white (!) head that resembled freshly-spun cotton CANdy. The head also had great staying power, taking seemingly forever to fall and causing me to wait in CANticipation. While I heard Carly Simon singing, I took note of the beer's color - a hazy deep-Pink, bordering on Magenta (SRM = N/A)! I also took the opportunity to lean in for a sniff. The nose was an interesting blend of Saison funkiness and the admixture of the aforementioned fruits. As I got the last of the beer Glugged out of the CAN & into the glass, I CANtemplated these fruit adjuncts. My maternal uncle, the home vintner, once made a strawberry wine that tasted decent, but had a nose that would gag a maggot! I wonder if that is not a common thing with that fruit. The other thought was how blueberries often give alcohol a tartness, rather than being sweet. Hmm. At last, both the beer & I were ready! There was a load of sticky lacing, but the head had finally subsided. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was at once funky, fruity and tart! The Saison yeast had clearly done its funky job while the strawberries kept things sweet and mellow as the blueberries lent a puckering quality to the mix. I am not generally a huge fan of Saisons because I kind of cringe at their funkiness, but here, it was kept in check by the inclusion of the fruits. It put me in mind of a funky fruit smoothie! I hate to say it, but in the time since I added it in Septembeer 2018 & now, it seems to have improved mightily from what the previous reviewer describes. I was really feeling as though I made the right choice for a birthday beer. Finish was dry, lightly tart, slightly funky and frankly, better than a cake. I'll take a Sparkler over CANdles this year! YMMV.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

$ 4.98 (Including shipping)/16 oz can ($ 0.311/oz) from Tavour, Seattle, WA. Reviewed 9/17/18.
Undated can stored at 42 degrees and served at 55 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
Appearance – 3.5.
Body – Faded vermilion, hazily opaque. When held to the light, it becomes translucent.
Head – Large (Maximum 8.5 cm, center pour), off-white, very low density, average retention, diminishing to a three to seven mm lacy ring and a partial layer of bubbles ranging from tiny to large. Some isolated islands of lacing remain on the sides as the head retracts. The second pour produces a smaller, much denser, head.
Lacing – Fair. As the level drops, short lines of lacing consisting mostly of small bubbles are left behind.
First pour – Pink, hazy.
Aroma – 3 - Weak and slightly fruity with hints of strawberries..
Flavor – 3 - Begins tart, much more so than the average saison. There is neither fruitiness nor yeastiness present. It ends with a chemical flavor with a medium hang-time. There is distinctly NO blueberry and little to no strawberry. No malt, no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
Palate – 3 - Medium, watery, fizzy.
Impression and interpretation – 3 - Once again I bought a beer made with blueberries and once again I'm disappointed. Maybe blueberries just don't make a good beer. Or maybe the blueberries are really blueberry flavoring - I once made a blueberry beer using blueberry syrup and ended up with about the same nasty aftertaste. Overall, tastes bad, about the same as every other alleged blueberry-based beer I've ever had.

Super American Sparkler from Woodland Empire Ale Craft