Samuel Adams Bonfire Blonde | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Bonfire BlondeSamuel Adams Bonfire Blonde
3.41/5
Okay
Samuel Adams Bonfire BlondeSamuel Adams Bonfire Blonde

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Smoked Beer

Availability: Fall

If you love smoky beers, Bonfire Blonde is as good as it gets, with a rich vein of smoke running from the first sip to the last. This pale gold, medium bodied ale is balanced by Samuel Adams ale yeast and our favorite Mittelfrueh hop for a tart taste and finish.

Added by LambicPentameter on 04-20-2016

Reviews by RJLarse:
2.98/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Part of a winter sampler 12-pack. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a shiny gold color, clear with a thin white head.

Smell is smoky, like a smoked salmon.

Taste is also smokey, a liquid smoke flavor, with a little fruity hop bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium, a little heavy for a blonde ale IMO, with a dry smokey finish.

Overall, not a beer I would have again.

1.12/5  rDev -67.2%

Literally made an account just to say how awful this beer was. I bought the Sam Adams variety pack expected some different beers. This is the first and only beer I've ever poured down the sink after taking a drink. It's blonde in appearance and it tastes like drinking a campfire, and leaves that nasty flavor lingering in your mouth. I made a game out of the second one in the pack passing it to my friends and seeing if they could swallow it without grimacing. Maybe I'm just not a smokey beer kinda guy, but I've had a lot of beers and unless smokey beer is your thing, I wouldn't waste your time with this one.

1.88/5  rDev -44.9%

I tried this beer with several other people and we all came to the conclusion that it is like drinking a bonfire, I can appreciate the craftsmanship but it isn't for me.

2.47/5  rDev -27.6%

This is my first review. This beer honestly grows on you. I can see why some people may hate it but I can also see why some people love it. It's honestly an acquired taste. Has a ton of smokey flavor so it may not be a beer you're looking for. However I can appreciate a beer this style once in a while as a change of pace. Pour it into a glass and you'll thank me later.

1.12/5  rDev -67.2%

This beer is disgusting. It tastes like eating an old pulled pork sandwich. It was extremely hard to drink and the fake smoke flavor is overwhelming. Overall, not an enjoyable beer. I generally enjoy most of what Sam Adams puts out, but this is by far the worst I've ever tasted.

2.43/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a clear golden color with half a finger of loose white bubbles. Retention and lacing are minimal.

Smell is smoke, bready malts, lemon and hop spice.

Taste is gross. Heavy smoked flavor, tart lemon similar to that of a gose, slight hop spiciness, and no malt presence. Absolutely disgusting.

Feel is very light, smooth and very under carbonated.

Overall no, just no. I love a smoked stout/porter, but the tart lemon and smoke do not go together at all in this beer. Cannot believe a company as large as Sam Adams could possibly let this get thru QC.

1.6/5  rDev -53.1%

Like someone else, I created an account just for this beer. I'm 40 years old, and this is the absolute worst-tasting beer I've ever had. It's so bad that I had to look it up online to see what others had said. I think it tastes like a campfire...if you scooped up a few spoonfulls of pissed-on ash from it the morning after and swirled it around in the bottle, then smoked a cigarette or 2 and tipped all of that ash in too. Stir it up so you don't feel any grit, and you have this beer.
Like someone else, it's the only beer (besides maybe a Mickey's) that I've just poured down the drain after forcing myself to drink half of it.
I've liked every single other Sam Adams beer I've ever tried, so this one is truly strange to me.

2.26/5  rDev -33.7%

It's hard to review a beer like this because it's so completely unique that I imagine there will be some people who absolutely love it. Generally though I'd say it's no more than a novelty and not a very tasty one at that.

The taste is really the only thing about this beer that's worth commenting on. The look and feel are very much like any other Sam Adams beer, so refer to those and you'll have it. The aroma gives a little hint of what's to come, but nothing could have prepared me for the powerful burst of campfire flavor the that hit me as soon as I took my first sip.

I mean this sincerely, this thing tastes like your are drinking a beer that has been soaking in campfire ashes for a week. It's quite a bold taste, and I couldn't make it through even one bottle of the stuff. I would avoid this one at all costs, unless you already know you like smokey-tasting beers.

4.19/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a rauchbier not a blonde...

Boston Beer came through on this one... years ago I was a fan of their original "bonfire" beer in the autumn. It was discontinued and it was years until I tried another rauchbier. Since then I've become a massive advocate of the style, with Schlenkerla being my Westverlen.

Upon opening this beer I was let down that I didn't get a heavy waft of smoke. The pour was uncharacteristic of the style, and indeed blonde in color with markable clarity and frothy white lacing.

The smell... was a let down. I smelled macro corn adjunct, faint smoke, and little german malt presence.

The taste was where they won me back. Though not as potent as some of the smoked beers I've enjoyed, it was equally as well done. The malt was almost certainly smoked over oak as it's extremely predominant in the taste. It was delicious, and meaty, with a heavy presence of malt and campfire smoke.

The feel was lighter than most per style, but not by much. I found myself wanting to drink this faster than it deserved to be as it was quaffable and easy on the palate for how harsh this style can often be.

Overall this beyond exceeded expectations. I would love for this to be released as an autumn seasonal outside of a variety pack. It would be a stellar sessionable beer for early autumn evenings around a backyard campfire or mid november nights around a hunting camp bonfire.

Kudos boston beer. Thanks for this one.

3.56/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a nonic pint glass.

Look: Clear golden body with a nicely retained white foamy head. Random splotches of lacing.

Aroma: Subdued sweet malts with hints of tart green apple covered in a layer of smoke.

Taste: Somewhat grassy with malt sweetness underneath a layer of smoke. Faint green apple tart in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, creamy.

Overall: It took awhile to realize the tart in the finish, and the smoke was always there. Nice for two beers, not something I'd want more of.

3.69/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not a huge fan of smokey beers but picked up the fall variety pack for a michigan up north vacation. This was actually not bad especially around a fire. It also helped that earlier in the day a drank a god aweful Corona extra so anything will taste better after that. Still not a bad offering.

I had to literally create account (like many others) to tell everyone how horrible this beer is. I'm not the pickiest of beer drinkers but I wanted to throw up after my first sip. I don't know how this beer made it to market. Horrible horrible horrible horrible. I don't know how else to describe it.

2.63/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz brown bottle, sample from the brewery.

Bright golden hue, great clarity with amazing lacing action on the glass. Smokiness in the nose with some herbal hop and grassy grain. Smooth and crisp, moderate sized body. Spicy hop is followed by a well placed smoky character that does not go too far, modest bitterness balances the clean grassy graininess. Suggestions of bread and wild flowers in the middle. Peppery smoky finish. A whole lot of flavor in this brew, wanting a whole lot more of this to drink right now.

4.1/5  rDev +20.2%

Pours clear, blonde in color with 1/3 inch head. Taste is a good dose of smoke over pilsener malt. I get a bunch of grass as well as light grain and slight toasted malt. Light bodied, smoky, with moderate carbonation. Makes for an excellent intro to smoked beers. A good, sessionable smoke beer. I would pick up another variety pack with this in there.

3.53/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.91/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.18/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.01/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.77/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clean golden, with fine off-white suds and only slight lace.

Aroma: Smoky malts, with some hops. Subtle but appealing.

Taste: Nice smoky flavor but light in body. Carbonation here seems high but this is a nicely drinkable and enjoyable smoked ale.

4.04/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.81/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Got the bonfire blonde from a mix 12pck from Kroger. It poured a clear golden with white head that left a spotty lace. The scent had biscuit. The taste was smoke and bread. The Mouthfeel is lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall it's ok.

Samuel Adams Bonfire Blonde from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)