Sponge Candy Stout

Very Good
Notes:
Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 51 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.32/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Harrison8 for this one from NBS BIF #8.5; Secret Santa. 22oz bottle wrapped in holiday paper with the only clue being 10% written on the paper. Here goes.

Poured into 14oz teku. Poured a solid black color, with less than ¼ inch of brown head that immediately dissipated and left no lacing. 3.5

Bourbon on the nose. Bigly bourbon-ness. Some oak, and a bit of base malts and slight roast. 3.25

Same on the tongue, booze dominant. Touches of oak and base beer. Maybe some coffee on the finish after a few sips. 3.25

The body was full, smooth, and even, but on the thin side for the Imperial Stout I think it is. If it’s a Porter it’s just right. If it’s a Baltic Porter (a mistake I made earlier this week), it’s a bit too full. The finish was semi-dry, yet there was a lingering sweetness that hung around a bit. Odd. 3.25

Overall, a pretty nice brew (whatever it is) worth trying if you get the chance. 3.5

Now for the unveiling: Resurgence Brewing Milk Sponge Candy Stout (Limited Batch 2018). From Buffalo NY, via KC MO, to Bellingham WA, for a native 315er to enjoy.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into one of my clear mugs, the appearance was a mostly dark black color with a thin finger's worth of eggshell white foamy head that slid off at a moderate pace. Some stringy lace ran here and there.
The aroma had the "sponge candy" sweetness up front and then a nice level roasty balancing sort of coffee bean, cocoa powder coming into it all.
The flavor was a nice balance between the roast and the sweetness. Light playful sponge candy aftertaste.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a decent sort of sipping quality about it. Carbonation felt fine. ABV felt appropriate.
Overall, pretty nice American Stout with that "Buffalo, New York" unique-ness as whoever thought about putting "sponge candy" in a beer - yes, leave that to a Buffalo brewery, I get it.

4.43/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apparently sponge candy is a thing in buffalo?

Great flavor profile. Complexity coming from all corners. Roasted tones. Candy sweetness. Thick malts. Nothing is overdone on this beer and everything is perfectly stated. Highly suggested.

Black black black with a nice brown head. Mouthfeel was great, nailed the carbonation. Sweet-ish without being a distraction. Def a desert beer or away from other distractions. Not overly thick, I suspect the Imperial version is. Bought a few Crowlers for Xmas presents...fantastic.

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to stillmatic2232 for dropping this 22 oz. bottle into a recent trade. I had to look up sponge candy because I like to know what I’m putting in my body. Although I do eat random stuff I find in the toaster oven. And the island. Usually not the floor, though. Split with my wife.

Pour: black. Mission: find someone stupid enough to make a non-black stout. Smells like almonds, molasses, beer. Not very exciting.

Imperial Sponge Candy Stout is like sipping on black acorn tea. Thick, despondent nuttiness infuses every corner of its being. Beneath the squirrel hoard is caramel covered in an indefinable sweetness which I presume to be the candy. Sharp roast & lightly toasted rye crust round out the experience. Full & nice to sip on, & changes quite radically from first sip (ACORNS!) to last (what the hell is this candy?).

Next time I’m anywhere near Buffalo, I need to find out what the real thing tastes like. This? Good.

If u like sponge candy u will love this stout. I'm a big stout fan and always compare what I'm drinkn to this. This always ends up being my favorite stout hands down

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

To be honest, I didn't expect to like this one, at all. I think sponge candy is gross, but I had to try this beer due to its undeniable uniqueness. Along the way, I actually liked the beer!

Pours a dark brown, almost black, with a small creamy head, and a good amount of lacing.

Smells sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. I'm not picking up actual sponge candy, but I can tell there's something different about the sweetness than the usual. There's chocolate and roasted malt as well.

This really does work, a really nice mix of sweet and bitter. There's caramel, and very sweet chocolate flavors, along with dark and bitter roasted malt notes, and some slight espresso bitterness. There's a smidgen of dark fruit flavor, too.

This one is medium to full bodied, good body, with a creamy, smooth mouthfeel, and a lower amount of carbonation.

This was nice, would love to see an imperial version of it.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Presentation: It was served on tap at Resurgence Brewing. The menu/chock board listed it’s abv at 6%. It also noted that this was batch #7 and it is made with real sponge candy.

Appearance: The body has a very dark brown, almost black color with lighter brown highlights at the edges of the glass. It is topped off with a small light tan head which settles slowly as I drink and leaves some slick lacing on the glass.

Smell: The aroma is just what I was expecting from the name of this beer. It smells just like sponge candy soaked in a stout beer with a nice chocolate and roasted malty character.

Taste / Palate: The first few sips I pick right up on the orange and chocolate flavors of the sponge candy. As I sip on and the beer warms more of the roasted maltiness comes out and takes over. It is mildly sweet overall with just a slight bitterness in the finish which seems to come more from dark roasted barley malt than from hops. The palate feels smooth and mildly carbonated but not heavy or cloying at all. It’s light heavyweight body makes it fairly easy drinking for a stout.

Sponge Candy Stout from Resurgence Brewing Company