Deep Space

Barrel Aged - 12 months 21 days
Bottle Date 10/5/2018
Bottle # 163 out of 1080
ABV 15%

Pours pitch black with a 1 finger deep brown head. The retention is quite good for such a high ABV beer, and it dissipates into a beautiful foamy ring around the edge of the glass. The bubbles are so tiny and foamy. Just totally beautiful.
The nose is quite boozy. I can smell it when I opened up the bottle, and smell it typing this, even though it's a foot away from me. Up close I get a deep rich boozy barrel aroma. Some raisin, some slight sweetness. Just very well mixed together.
Taste - Oh, wow!!!! There's so much here, and I'm going to have a hard time describing it all. I will not be able to do justice to this beer. It starts off with a mellow, smooth dark raisin flavor, there's also a slight creamy taste up front. In the middle I get some chocolate. The finish to this beer has a slight smoke to it, which totally puts an exclamation point on this beer. As an after taste I also get a slight peanut butter flavor.
The body is thick and full, and slightly creamy. Minimal booze harshness. Some carbonation that tickles my palate.
Holy cow! This beer is out of this world, no pun intended. If you get the chance to try this beer I can not recommend it enough. You will not be disappointed.

4.52/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the Belle Meade version with Coffee & Vanilla. It was a nice balance between the usual overly roasted and overly sweet coffee stouts. Nice balance.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

There's a few different barrel agreed versions of Deep Space and I tried to average my opinions on the four versions I tasted- Belle Meade bourbon, Hillrock bourbon, tequila and rum aged. Personally, the Belle Meade and rum aged versions were the best. All are around 15%, so enjoy carefully.

No coffee, oak, vanilla, chili pepper, just the Deep Space stout aged in some type of spirit barrel. As thick and black as motor oil, the smell depends on the barrel but is typically mostly the spirit and not the beer. Smooth as fuck considering the ABV, not super heavy but definitely coats the tounge and is dry enough to make you want another sip right away.

Belle Meade and the rum aged versions blended flavors and mouth feel the best in my opinion. The Hillrock and tequila versions were good, just not as good as the other two.

I had the Belle Meade and tequila aged on tap at Barrelled Souls on 2/25/17 and the bottles I bought were bottled and waxed on 2/6/17(Hillford) and 1/27/17(rum) and both drank on 2/26/17.

4.31/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

32 oz howler poured into shaker pint filled on 5/25

A: jet black no light is penetrating this body the hed was a deep chocolate in color but it looked fizzy was very small and disapperared quickly. This could be due to being howler fill.

S: roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, licorce, and some light leather.

T: rich sweet chocolate, roasted malts, expresso, licorice, a little bit of a walnut aftertaste

M: Nice fuller body, but a touch thinner than I like my stouts. Carbonation is very low to nonexistent

O: This is a beautiful rich complex imperial stout with a staggering ABV of 13.8% that is very well hidden.

Deep Space from Barreled Souls Brewing Company