Big Rock Craft Lager | Big Rock Brewery

Big Rock Craft LagerBig Rock Craft Lager

Average: 3.47 | pDev: 0%
Needs more ratings to obtain a BA Score.

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1

Notes: Year-round availibility.
N/A
Big Rock Craft LagerBig Rock Craft Lager
3.47/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

473 mL can from Superstore; best before Nov 9 2019 and served well chilled.

Pours bright and clear, with a golden-yellow coloured body that is initially capped off with nearly a finger of foamy white head. Dissipating within the next minute or two, it leaves behind a wide collar of creamy froth and a thin cap, as well as a modest band of lace; looking at it makes me thirsty. Clean, basic pale lager aroma - cereal grains, some bready malt sweetness, along with hints of grassy hay and weedy hops.

A serviceable American all-malt lager with absolutely no bells or whistles. Grainy malts and cereal sweetness comprise the bulk of the flavour profile, with hints of apples and a very meek suggestion of grassy hops towards the finish. Light malt sweetness lingers briefly past the finish, fading to off-dry in the aftertaste. Light-bodied, with a good, crisp bite from the carbonation and excellent drinkability, by far its strongest quality. I wasn't sure about this one at first, but it grew on me and I've concluded it's basically fine for what it is.

Final Grade: 3.47, a B-. Big Rock's Craft Lager is alright, but even that weak praise feels like an overstatement. Sure, I finished my can quickly enough, and wouldn't have minded another, but it's not something I feel a great desire to revisit. On the positive side, it's much better than the AGD I had a few days ago. Big Rock themselves have done better in the past - e.g. I think I'd take their Pilsner over this, but I also prefer pilseners over regular American lagers, so your mileage may vary.

Big Rock Craft Lager from Big Rock Brewery