Craft Lager

Apr 01, 2019
SCORE
n/a
Craft LagerCraft Lager
Notes: What do you do when you turn 35? If you’re Ontario’s first craft brewery, you make a special beer! To brew Waterloo Craft Lager, we use Pacific Northwest legendary hops, predominantly 2-Row Canadian barley malt and just enough roasted malt for a rich colour and distinctive flavour. The resulting golden lager is refreshing and easy to drink, with a great balance of bitter and sweet. Cheers to 35 years!

Recent ratings and reviews.

Rated: 3.83 by Spark420

Jun 30, 2022
Reviewed by Tony787 from Canada (ON)

3.68/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
I bought this can of beer at the lcbo for 2.50 good price for craft beer pouring the Bour it said at the top of the can .
The taste was ok and easy to drink with a nice finger head when poured.
Good price would probably buy again.
Cheers
Jul 15, 2020
Reviewed by Blasterson from Canada (ON)

3.43/5  rDev -3.1%
My first review! I mostly drink euro lagers and pilseners, so this review is slightly biased by that predilection.

I've had Waterloo's dark lager before, which is actually the beer that got me into drinking beer, tho I have long since moved on.

Poured from a tall boy into a pint glass. Nice foamy head. Pale golden colour. Smell is pacific hops. Upon first sip I was surprised by how hop-forward it was, which I am unused to from my lagers. Malt presence mostly found in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is typical of lagers.

Overall, this beer is serviceable and definitely quite flavourful. At the time of drinking it was exactly what I was craving, and I hadn't expected it to fill that void so perfectly. It won't become my go-to beer anytime soon, but is nice for a change of pace.
Jun 05, 2020

Rated: 3.33 by CRObighit2 from Canada (ON)

Oct 01, 2019
Reviewed by thehyperduck from Canada (ON)

3.51/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
473 mL can from the LCBO; dated Jun 27 2019 and served well chilled. I haven't seen their Pilsner around in a while, which is making me wonder if this is meant to be a permanent replacement? Devoting tank space to two year-round craft lagers (in addition to however many brands of sub-prime Red Baron-type lagers they've already got on the market) seems questionable, but what the hell do I know about the business of brewing.

Pours a bright, clear golden-yellow colour, giving rise to just over a finger of soapy, frothy white head that has largely dissipated within two minutes' time. A fair bit of messy, sticky lacing is flung about in the process, with a modest collar of foam also sticking around; yep, looks like a pale lager to me. Hints of lemon are apparent on the nose, backed by some floral, grassy hops and a grainy, slightly doughy pale malt note - it's actually rather reminiscent of their Pilsner.

Good enough to get the job done - this is a true craft lager, with no signs of corners being cut with corn. Clean, grainy pale malts with a touch of biscuity, doughy sweetness sum up most of the flavour profile, with some grassy, floral notes tying things up at the finish. Light in body, with moderate carbonation levels that supply a little bit of crispness to the mouth; easy-drinking, refreshing, and fairly smooth. Quite possibly the best Brick/Waterloo-made pale lager I've ever tried.

Final Grade: 3.51, a B grade. Nothing wrong with this one - Waterloo's Craft Lager is a serviceable American lager, one that is unlikely to be confused with the crappy macro adjunct competition. Another point in its favour is the price tag: it's not easy to beat $2.50/can these days, with most local craft lagers priced in the vicinity of $3/per (if not higher). At the end of the day, I do prefer German pilseners and helles lagers over this sort of thing, but that's just personal preference - I wouldn't turn this beer down, and in fact it might be worth keeping a few stocked in the back of the fridge, to offer to acquaintances that aren't interested in 'fancy' beers.
Sep 10, 2019

Rated: 2.91 by matt_hill from Canada (ON)

Jul 17, 2019
Reviewed by Pmicdee from Canada (ON)

4.1/5  rDev +15.8%
In my humble opinion this is one of the best lagers on the market these days. I typically enjoy Waterloo beers and this is no exception. The colour of apple juice, frothy head with small bubbles rising up. Quite flavourful for a lager. A bit sweet and no bitterness. Smooth going down the hatch
Oct 25 2022