Saison Tournante - Barrel Fermentation I
The Virginia Beer Company

Saison Tournante - Barrel Fermentation ISaison Tournante - Barrel Fermentation I
Beer Geek Stats

Rated:
Jan 27, 2017
Added:
Jan 04, 2017
Barrel Fermentation I is the first release in a series of uniquely barrel-fermented recipes.

This golden Saison is the result of an exclusively rustic primary fermentation - skipping the stainless steel vessels in favor of fermenting for five months in 2009 Hungarian oak red wine barrels!

Upon transfer from the kettle, four known yeast strains were then added directly to the barrels: a traditional Saison; a "wild" Belgian strain of Saccharomyces; and two strains of Brettanomyces (one Belgian + one Virginian).

Exceptionally dry while retaining a full body thanks to the additions of flaked oats and malted spelt. Nelson Sauvin hops lend a white wine character that balances well with the mild Brett fruity funkiness and oak.

Grain Bill: Bohemian Pilsner, Spelt, and Flaked Oats.
Hops: Nelson Sauvin.
Aging: Williamsburg Winery 2009 Hungarian oak red wine barrels.
Recent ratings and reviews.
Reviewed by 11-52_4hops from Virginia

4.02/5  rDev 0%
I am not a huge Saison drinker, so I might not be the right person to review this style, but since there isn't anything else up here lets give t a shot. After seeing VA Beer Company on BA's list of hot new breweries for 2016, I arranged to get a few different styles from these guys to see what the noise was about.

From a 32 oz crowler that was filled about 6 days ago. Lightly clouded golden color with large bubble carbonation, lots of action in the head. Definitely some Belgian yeast on the nose. Initial taste reminds me of a Belgian Pale, but a definite dryness and champagne flavors that I associate more with a Tripel like Tripel Karmeliet (without the clove and banana). The real interesting trait is a bit of bitter oak on the back end I assume is from the red wine barrels - not overwhelming, but enough to catch your attention. I am a little disappointed to not really be able to get any of the brett funk as suggested in the commercial description. The high carbonation and dryness brings a super crisp and clean mouth feel.

Overall, I love the idea and the exploration that continues to push American craft brewing in new directions. This is a well crafted-beer that brings something new to the table. My apologies to the Saison and Belgian purists. I look forward to reading your thoughts on this one as well.
Jan 27, 2017