Juicy Fruit | Great Notion Brewing

Great Notion Brewing
Oregon, United States
greatnotionpdx.com

Style: American IPA

Juicy Fruit is a collabo with Weldwerks Brewing out of Colorado. This flavorful hazy IPA is brewed with Mosaic and Galaxy and fermented with guava, passion fruit and pineapple. The taste is gonna move ya!

User Reviews & Ratings
3.93/5  rDev 0%

It seems like the only times I don't fully appreciate a beer from @greatnotionpdx is when the beer almost too closely represents what it's named after. For example, Orange Creamsicle was an amazingly hopped sticky thick DIPA, but the fact that it actually reminded me of an orange creamsicle is what ultimate turned me away from trying more; I would concede that the Double Stack Blueberry Muffin cuvée is arguably the best adjunct stout brewed on this side of the Pacific, but for the fact that I can't handle even minute amounts of sugar in pretty much anything I eat.

Great Notion's collaboration with Colorado hypebeasts Weldworks also falls under that same category. I don't normally chew gum, and if I do, I usually tend to stick to the mintier varieties because I can't quite stomach the taste of chiclet once it's devoid of flavor. Juicy Fruit truly takes up after its namesake in that it starts off in a burst of orange, lemon, and pineapple flavors, but they kinda fade away, leaving behind a gritty gummy aftertaste in your mouth.

Don't get me wrong, the beer is technically flawless on its merits: no discernable off-flavors, nice hop-derived aroma and bitterness, with a nice supporting malt backbone which keeps the flavors nicely in line without adding an undesirable sweetness into the mix. I don't know how they actually managed to capture that exact moment when the gum runs out of flavor and you realize you're chewing on rubbery mush, but all the flavors kind of turn sour as they fade out; maybe they were somehow able to incorporate acidulated malts into this?

Either way, I can't quite hate on this brew, but I probably won't be getting it again any time soon.

Juicy Fruit from Great Notion Brewing