Luminous 01

From:
Great Notion Brewing

Oregon, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Luminous 01Luminous 01
Notes: Luminous is a series of hazy, Sour IPAs with malted oats and our house yeast strain. This first batch (Luminous 01) was fermented with Apricot and dry hopped with Enigma, Citra, and Motueka. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 8
3.38/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

From a 3/2 canned crowler

It is an unfiltered/cloudy gold beer. There was a substantial amount of fairly frothy white foam on top initially, and it started to fizzle out into nothing pretty quickly. After the second pour, it was clear that it needed agitated more. There was a ton of chunky sediment in the bottom. Enough so that I strained it into another glass. It was a much more hazy/turbid beer the second half.

There is definitely a citrus note to it. It’s an interesting fruit aroma that I have been sniffing over and over trying to pin down. I think it’s pineapple and lemon like with a little orange. It has a little sourness to it and a subtle dank hoppiness.

First taste is fairly tart, slightly puckering sour. Green apple Jolly Rancher like flavor and bite. Then it screams Gose with some saltines. There is a decent amount of citrus in the form of lemon, pineapple, and even mango maybe, but the sour overtone drowns it a bit.

I still swear this has an above normal hop profile. I get some of that dank that grassy green and the spicy mango. I may be confusing the slick resin feel with the salinity though. Otherwise, there is a lingering grain and coriander flavor with a touch of lactic acid.

It is soft bodied outside of the crisp bite up front.

I drank this one blind and it came across as a hoppy Gose to me. I am standing by that. I enjoyed it a lot, but it is not a typical ipa, and I rated it according to style otherwise.

Luminous 01 from Great Notion Brewing