Chocolate Covered Strawberry | Great Notion Brewing

Average: 3.71 | pDev: 14.02%
Needs more ratings to obtain a BA Score.

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 5

Notes: Rotating availibility.
N/A
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 5
2.75/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I'm a big fan of double stack, and thought peanut brother was intriguing (and yummy) as well. However, the latest two adjunct stouts put out by GN have just not been very good (IMHO). Hope to never encounter another glass of this (or Blueberry Pancakes) again.

The beer pours a blackish brown color, with pretty good head retention and light lacing. On the nose, this actually smells pretty good, as I pick up considerable dark chocolate, light vanilla and coffee, and noticeable strawberry. There's a slight medicinal aroma to the strawberry, which unfortunately was a harbinger of what was to come on the palate.

On the palate, the medicinal strawberry flavor seemed to really clash with the chocolate and underlying base beer. Fortunately, I only got a 5 ounce taster pour, as I didn't make it through half the glass before I just gave up. The cloying sweetness and medicinal flavor just seemed to get worse and worse with each sip. Mouthfeel was fairly full, but there was a noticeable drop off of flavor and consistency on the finish. Alcohol was fairly noticeable as well, as is often the case with these sweet, medicinal tasting, adjunct laden stouts.

Yuck! I thought as the beer warmed maybe things would improve, but if anything the sweet medicinal flavor just became more and more prominent and noticeable. So glad I did not get more than a taster glass of this.

One final comment. To their credit, GN is not afraid to experiment with recipe ingredients, and it's lead to some spectacular successes in the past, as well as some colossal failures (like this beer). While I found this beer disgusting, that won't stop me from trying new beers from GN. When successful, they really hit it out of the park, and for that reason I'll always keep on coming back to try new beer from GN.

Chocolate Covered Strawberry from Great Notion Brewing