Double Fudge Coconut Brownie | Great Notion Brewing

Great Notion Brewing
Oregon, United States
greatnotionpdx.com

Style: American Imperial Stout

Double Fudge Brownie is a rich and decadent Imperial Stout fermented with buckets of gooey brownie batter, conditioned on raw dark chocolate from Ecuador, and served thru a huge sack of toasted coconut.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 14
3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap. 12 oz serving from a tulip glass.
L: pours like motor oil, looks like motor oil. Little head, slight lacing on glass.
S: loads of chocolate, brownie batter aromas coming off this beer, even when chilled. As it comes to temp, it becomes even more fudgy. It’s sweet, confectioner chocolate rather than bitter. Coconut is not detectible, but molassess, toffee and dark fruits also come to mind.
T: as expected, very chocolate. Flavor does resemble a boozy brownie batter concoction. Coconut is lacking, but has nice settlement in the aftertaste. As I drink it, it becomes incredibly sweet. Molasses, roasted malt, and caramel also are flavors that come to mind. Boozy warmth as it goes down.
F: medium in body, but heavier in weight. You can tell the booze presence on the feel. Slick and oily texture. Low carbonation.
O: glad I was able to try it. Personally, this would be great in a flight as a 5 oz serving, but not more than that. I am very glad to have tried. Cheers!

4.28/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This one pours a very dark black color, with a small head, and basically no lacing.

This smells unbelievably chocolatey, fudgy, and decadent, with some light vanilla, roasted malt, dark chocolate, coffee, and a slight whiff of coconut.

I expected a bit more coconut here, but it's still incredibly chocolatey and delicious. It kind of tastes like a big dark chocolate bar with small little studs and flakes of coconut in it. There's a good amount of roasted malt here, and it's definitely not as sweet as I figured it would be. There's some light coffee-like flavors, too.

This is thick and creamy, with a decent level of drinkability. There's a lower level of carbonation.

Given how sweet and maple heavy Double Stack is, I expected this to be a wild coconut bomb. It's much more restrained and dry than I expected.

4.17/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Interesting Stout.

With this name I would expect a more sweet taste and aroma. To be honest I did not get any of the Coconut aroma or taste as mentioned in the name. Instead I get a lot of coffee and chocolate and wood.

Pours a really pitch black color with a rich brown head that lasts for a while.

Nice creamy mouthfeel with nice woody, coffee and chocolate taste with just the right bitterness for finish. A really solid Stout (without coconut in contrast to the name).

On tap at the brewpub yesterday.

The beer pours the expected blackish brown color with good head retention and lacing. The beer certainly looks nice enough. The aroma profile took me by surprise however, as what I picked up didn't seem to go with the name of this beer. I didn't pick up any coconut, but I did pick up considerable espresso. There was also a sweet roasty malt aroma, along with some light fudge and brownie aroma (I guess). Overall, the aroma isn't bad at all, it's just not what I was expecting. The flavor profile is more of the same, with something of a dry, roasty, light burnt toast flavor on the finish. Frankly, this beer wasn't as rich as I was expecting, and I wasn't a huge fan of the finish. Still a lot of nice flavors in this beer, and it did seem to open more as it sat in the glass, it just wasn't quite what I expected. Mouthfeel was fairly full, and alcohol was pretty well integrated into the flavor profile. I know I sometimes complain about the level of sweetness I get in Double Stack, but I think a little more sweetness and richness would help this beer.

In the end, I would call this a pretty good beer, but not a great one.

Double Fudge Coconut Brownie from Great Notion Brewing