Double Fudge Coconut Brownie

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Double Fudge Coconut BrownieDouble Fudge Coconut Brownie
Notes: Double Fudge Brownie is a rich and decadent Imperial Stout fermented with buckets of gooey brownie batter, conditioned on raw dark chocolate from Ecuador, and served thru a huge sack of toasted coconut.
Reviews: 9 | Ratings: 36 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Sabtos from Ohio

3.4/5  rDev -14.1%

8 ball black with a bubbly uneven tan head settling to a slick surface.

At first this has a nutty aroma that really is like those cheap Little Debbie fudge brownies with nuts. It's kind of an artificial, weird chocolateyness, but with an enticing nostalgia to it. However, the crisp body dives deeper into odd notes of semi-sticky cream cheese, as well as a lightly sharp astringency.

It's not as ostentatious as other flavored Great Notion stouts, but it's also just not very good.

Feb 07, 2020
ichorNet from Massachusetts

4.46/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Alright, so last night I had these guys' attempt at a New England IPA, so I guess it must be time to drink and review their attempt at the other hyped-up style du jour, the pastry stout. I unabashedly enjoy these when done correctly, and I trust these guys to do a good job. Other reviews seem to indicate that this is a superb beer overall, so I'm excited to give it a shot.

The pour is a deep, rich brown color with a thin, somewhat-weak head of khaki-colored bubbles building up to a half-finger in my glass. There's basically no light penetration on order here, and the beer is certainly without any kind of clarity, being an imperial stout. I'm not super impressed with what I'm seeing, though, overall. Very little lace and just about nothing in terms of legs. Hmm... I've had many a good stout that just look "alright" though, so this might be forgivable.

The nose here is just beautiful... a harmonious combination of chocolate and coconut with a slightly nutty and caramel-like undertone. Yes, this is definitely a big "pastry stout," but there's a lot going on here. The nuttiness can be broken down into having some undertones of hazelnut, candied pralines, and almond with a definite coconut backing aspect. I can pick up a little bit of dark fruit along with some light baking spice. Honestly, this is just really decadent and impressive. It smells a lot like brownie batter, which is quite on point for what they were going for.

The flavor profile is almost exactly what I expected from the smell, with big flavors of chocolate, booze, espresso, walnut, praline, and coconut with some light dark fruit notes and a nice helping of toffee in there as well. Damn, this is flavorful stuff. Hazelnut coffee and fudgy chocolate flavors are put up against some herbal hops and dense malty elements, with backing aspects of coconut cream and vanilla. This is just so decadent and delicious. Highly recommended.

The feel here is a typical "big stout" feel, for the most part, though I will say that it feels a bit more drinkable than others in its weight class, and it also feels a bit less strong than some others in the 10-13% range. The carbonation here is a little more detailed and well-developed than a lot of stouts like this, and the finish lasts for quite a while; especially the coconut... who would've thought? Great stuff. Recommended!

Feb 02, 2020
Holderness from Massachusetts

4.26/5  rDev +7.6%

L -- Deep black in the glass with a finger of sudsy brown head produced with moderate pour. Quickly dissipates
S -- Coconut, fudge, booze, bit of dried dark fruit
T -- The coconut and milk chocolate flavors work really well together here. Not much roastiness, which is nice
F -- Medium mouthfeel, medium carb. A bit thin for the style, but not too bad
O -- It's rare for this to happen, but I actually think this is slightly better than its BA score would indicate

86/100

Feb 01, 2020
TheSixthRing from California

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance - Pours black with cola brown edging. Tan, near finger width head that fizzes away fairly quickly, leaving a mostly barren surface with a razor thin ring around the edge of the glass. A few tiny spots make up the lacing.

Smell - Strong coconut and chocolate aroma. Hints of roast and alcohol.

Taste - Fudgy chocolate and coconut upfront, then caramel and slight roast comes in. A bit of booze on the finish.

Mouthfeel - Full-bodied with fair carbonation. Fairly creamy texture before a dry, warming finish.

Overall - Good imperial stout. Tasty, but also a bit rich, so nothing I would drink more than a pint of in one sitting.

Jan 21, 2020
Lingenbrau from Oregon

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I'm already nervous as I start to pour. I'm used to beers with a lack of carbonation (looking at you Hair of the Dog), but in this case it's just not as comfortable. Adjusting the hand with a bit more vigor, the pitch black and clean body manages to amass a minimal tanned foam above. Regardless to say, it disappears in a flash leaving no cap and zero lacing.

Initially, the aroma is very harsh. Alcohol with a chocolate blast. As I give it some time after walking away from it for a bit, I dive the nose back in to retrieve an obvious "fudgy" chocolate. Coffee and toasted coconut bits follow closely behind, but there's still a bit of that alcohol sting.

As was the first sniff, first sip was equally as harsh. Just a mess of booze and ambition. But, as I always tend to do, I gave it another chance. It became chocolatey, the coconut obvious. Roasty elements linger, but the booze is just too distracting.

It's rich and sweet and sticky. Honestly, it's a chore to get through each sip. The alcohol is relentless and unforgiving.

Let it be known that I am quite the big fan of Great Notion, but this just may be the worst beer I've had from this source. It's simply a mess of flavors with an intensity that is too difficult to endure.

Cheers.

Jan 05, 2020
TheBrewsky from California

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap. 12 oz serving from a tulip glass.
L: pours like motor oil, looks like motor oil. Little head, slight lacing on glass.
S: loads of chocolate, brownie batter aromas coming off this beer, even when chilled. As it comes to temp, it becomes even more fudgy. It’s sweet, confectioner chocolate rather than bitter. Coconut is not detectible, but molassess, toffee and dark fruits also come to mind.
T: as expected, very chocolate. Flavor does resemble a boozy brownie batter concoction. Coconut is lacking, but has nice settlement in the aftertaste. As I drink it, it becomes incredibly sweet. Molasses, roasted malt, and caramel also are flavors that come to mind. Boozy warmth as it goes down.
F: medium in body, but heavier in weight. You can tell the booze presence on the feel. Slick and oily texture. Low carbonation.
O: glad I was able to try it. Personally, this would be great in a flight as a 5 oz serving, but not more than that. I am very glad to have tried. Cheers!

Feb 10, 2019
GreesyFizeek from New York

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This one pours a very dark black color, with a small head, and basically no lacing.

This smells unbelievably chocolatey, fudgy, and decadent, with some light vanilla, roasted malt, dark chocolate, coffee, and a slight whiff of coconut.

I expected a bit more coconut here, but it's still incredibly chocolatey and delicious. It kind of tastes like a big dark chocolate bar with small little studs and flakes of coconut in it. There's a good amount of roasted malt here, and it's definitely not as sweet as I figured it would be. There's some light coffee-like flavors, too.

This is thick and creamy, with a decent level of drinkability. There's a lower level of carbonation.

Given how sweet and maple heavy Double Stack is, I expected this to be a wild coconut bomb. It's much more restrained and dry than I expected.

Dec 27, 2018
BeerGlassesCollector from Cyprus

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Interesting Stout.

With this name I would expect a more sweet taste and aroma. To be honest I did not get any of the Coconut aroma or taste as mentioned in the name. Instead I get a lot of coffee and chocolate and wood.

Pours a really pitch black color with a rich brown head that lasts for a while.

Nice creamy mouthfeel with nice woody, coffee and chocolate taste with just the right bitterness for finish. A really solid Stout (without coconut in contrast to the name).

Nov 29, 2018
John_M from Oregon

On tap at the brewpub yesterday.

The beer pours the expected blackish brown color with good head retention and lacing. The beer certainly looks nice enough. The aroma profile took me by surprise however, as what I picked up didn't seem to go with the name of this beer. I didn't pick up any coconut, but I did pick up considerable espresso. There was also a sweet roasty malt aroma, along with some light fudge and brownie aroma (I guess). Overall, the aroma isn't bad at all, it's just not what I was expecting. The flavor profile is more of the same, with something of a dry, roasty, light burnt toast flavor on the finish. Frankly, this beer wasn't as rich as I was expecting, and I wasn't a huge fan of the finish. Still a lot of nice flavors in this beer, and it did seem to open more as it sat in the glass, it just wasn't quite what I expected. Mouthfeel was fairly full, and alcohol was pretty well integrated into the flavor profile. I know I sometimes complain about the level of sweetness I get in Double Stack, but I think a little more sweetness and richness would help this beer.

In the end, I would call this a pretty good beer, but not a great one.

Oct 29, 2018