Soleil Sour IPA

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes: Our Sour Farmhouse Ale, reimagined as a Sour IPA! Brewed with raw wheat, malted oat, milk sugar, pineapple, marigold flowers and rose petals — hopped with Citra and Mosaic powder.
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 27 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Gajo74 from New York

4.06/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a clear dark yellow color coming out of the can. Looks slightly cloudy in the glass with visible carbonation. A finger nail length frothy head retains well.

Tropical fruit aromas evoke notes of pineapple, mango, papaya and passion fruit. Citrusy touches of orange and lime, peach, lightly peppery spices, grass, blend with the sweet aroma emanating from the lactose.

Opens with a lactose sweetness that pairs well with the tart fruit flavors. A bready malt backbone supports fruity flavors of pineapple, mango, passion fruit, peach, lime and candied orange. Not particularly herbal, instead, there is a light peppery spice. There is little to no perceptible bitterness. The finish is lightly tart, semi dry and with a touch of earthy hops flavors.

Medium bodied with a somewhat doughy and chewy malt feel. Mostly smooth with a moderate carbonation.

I’m not a big fan of lactose in IPAs, however, it works with the tart flavors. I like what Hudson Valley Brewery does with sour IPAs.

Mar 01, 2021
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hudson Valley Brewery "Soleil"
16 fl. oz. can. Freshness dating is illegible.

Notes via stream of consciousness: Uh-Oh, here we have another lactose beer. I can't always taste it, we'll see, but I'm certainly not fond of it. It's poured a cloudy golden body beneath a finger's width of white foam. The head is holding well which is great for a sour beer. The aroma is mainly floral, gently sweetish, and a bit mineralish or chalky. There's a bit of citrus to it as well but I can't really pick out any specific fruit. If pressed I guess I'd say orange, but there's more going on as well. It's not a bold aroma but it's pleasant, and the floral character is a refreshing change. I don't think I've had a beer with such a floral note since something from the Plan Bee Farm Brewery which happens to be, if I'm not mistaken, not really that far from the Hudson Valley Brewery. On to the flavor, it's surprisingly sweet. I don't find it that tart at all, although there clearly is some acidity to it, and it comes across like a Sweet Tart candy. It has that kind of nondescript fruitiness that a lot of candies do as well. Again, if pressed I might say apple, pear, orange, lemon, pineapple, guava, and mango. I like it! It's a really refreshing, juicy beer. What's the strength on this? 6%! Geez, I wasn't expecting that. I thought it was going to be lower, like 4.8%. So let's finish up. Number one, the lactose isn't bothering me at all. I'm not finding it. The floral and fruity character is really nice, and soft and smooth and charming. Along with the balance of sweet and tart it really works. It's medium-light in body, and gently crisp. I get some mouthfeel from extra proteins, and I think I'm tasting oats and wheat but it's sometimes hard to tell. Wait, let me scroll down and see if there's a description right in front of me - damn! there certainly is (I missed that on the last beer I reviewed from them). Raw wheat and malted oats, that's a little bit backwards from the usual isn't it? What else is in there? Rose petals and marigolds; I would have never guessed that, I didn't even know marigolds had an aroma. So, overall I think this is a really unique, refreshing, and well rounded beer that's well worth trying.
Review #7,160

Jan 17, 2021
ChipChaight from New York

3.89/5  rDev -8.7%

Can from the brewery in Beacon, NY. Pours a hazy orange with two fingers of fluffy white head, decent lacing, smell is sweet and sour with floral honey, pineapple, rose petal, white wine must, hints of cotton candy, papaya, guava, passionfruit, and orange juice concentrate, taste is pineapple juice, floral honey, rose hips, tart orange sorbet, hints of marshmallow and guava, mildly bitter sourness remains on the palate, feel is medium to full bodied, smooth carbonation. A vegetal sour pineapple slushee.

Dec 26, 2020
cosmicevan from New York

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Yet another one from rowmark...an officer AND a gentleman. Thank you sweet love.

This one pours more dense and deeper orange juice yellow...frothy chunky lace. Nose is simply magic. The pineapple and flowers intertwine so nicely I was blown away on first sniff. Much more of a muddled thing on the taste with the hops rolling heavy leaving no prisoners. Pineapple is still yuuuuuge and the flowers remain as well but the hops really are the showcase with everything else serving the song to drive uniqueness into this unreal hopping combo. Killer. Enjoyed this one more than the internalreflection but apples and onions so there's that.

Apr 21, 2018