Hell Kitty Kitty | Whiner Beer Company

Added by superspak on 11-27-2017

3.94/5  rDev +3.4%

From the 12 oz can in a snifter via Savor Growl in a snifter from me and the
Little Lady's Columbus Brew Odyssey. This interesting BPA pours a hazed
orange tinged bronze with a nice head of white foam that settles to a thick ring,
thin subtle pool, and displays some rather nice clinging lacing. Nose of subtle
grapefruit, breaded malts, spicy hop notes, and sweet honey tinged malts.
Flavors exceed the nose with notes of cantaloupe (!?), grapefruit, spicy hops,
some pine touched resinous hops, pink grapefruit, and Belgian style candy malts
with herbal overtones with a touch of cracker and heavier notes of breaded malts.
Nice mouth feel; medium light body, medium light carbonation, and a nicely done
dry finish that with warmth gives rise to notes of white grapes.

Overall, a very nice little brew that was welcome after a long fay at work!

Cheers

3.3/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz can, thanks to my friend, Derek, for giving me a can to try. A very thick and creamy beige head slowly fades atop a slightly hazed copper colored ale. Fruity aroma with spicy & bready yeast. Orangey citrus, mango, caramel malt, spicy, bready, and fruity Belgian yeast for flavor. Medium body, ample carbonation, finishes semi-dry and somewhat harsh with a piney earthiness lingering. There's something about this I don't like; I can't place it but this beer didn't work in my opinion. Basically, I'm finding the flavors do not meld together very well.

3.77/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

MLY SECOND BEER I'VE HAD FROM WHINER - THEY SAY IT IS A BELGIUM - BUT DID NOT HAVE THE FULL BELGIUM FLAVOR - STILL A DESENT BEER

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I suppose this is what BPAs are becoming... particularly if a Belgian specialist like Whiner wants to grow in this hophead market. But being a traditionalist, I put this is the saison category.

That said, this is a decent beer.
Its main contribution is that it is OK to make a saison taste like grapefruit.
Judging Hell Kitty Kitty on its merits: It looks slightly above average; its Smell of grapefruit puts me off a little bit, but otherwise is OK; its initial Taste is fine, but grapefruit takes over the mid-palate; while it finishes too dry for food, it sits OK in the mouth and is overall refreshing. Have it again? Unlikely.

I share this observation for those who want to know how objective my rating is. Chicago's Southside Belgian brewer is Whiner, whose beers I've rated totals 7 . Chicago's Northside Belgian brewer is Off Color, whose beers I've rated totals 25. The Cubs just swept the Sox in the (pretend) subway World Series. You be the umpire.

10/10/18 Had again (despite saying I wouldn't). But I was right. Grapefruit rind does not go well with food.

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Although I'm no fan of whiners, I am a fan of Winer Beer. They make some fine products, and all the ones I've tried have been something I'd drink again (and I repurchased my previous three tastes this weekend).

This one opens dirty yellow with a little fine fizz. The aroma is a yeasty, malty smell that's clean and appetizing. The taste is dry, hoppy, and yeasty all well balanced so you can appreciate much nuance from the hops, yeast and malts. The aftertaste is bitter. This is a less Americanized take on the style that is fairly easy drinking.

Highly recommended.

3.56/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark bronze color. Completely clear and effervescent. Thine two finger white head dissipates leaving a residual thin layer of white foam along with some white foamy lacing.

Aroma has notes of smoked wheat malts, spicy pepper, smoked meat, orange, and grapefruit. A really interesting nose on this one that I just don't know what to do with.

Taste has some smoked wheat malts, grapefruit and orange. Between the hops and the yeast in this there is a strong spiciness that starts halfway through and then spikes towards the back end. As the beer warms you get more of the grapefruit, orange and pine from the hops on the finish. Some moderate lingering bitterness on the finish.

Feel is moderately bodied with mild carbonation. Semi-dry finish.

Overall this is a very weird riff on a Belgian Pale Ale - its not really to style. But on its own merits, its a solid beer. The spiciness is a bit much to my taste, but others may enjoy this.

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hell Kitty Kitty from Whiner Beer Company