Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Brooklyner-Schneider Hopfen-Weisse | Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery
New York, United States
brooklynbrewery.com

Style: Weizenbock

Brooklyn version. This brew is the result of the long friendship of Brooklyn brewmaster Garrett Oliver and Schneider brewmaster Hans-Peter Drexler. Garrett had always admired the delicate balance of flavors in Schneider Weisse, while Hans-Peter had long enjoyed the effusive hop character of Brooklyn East India Pale Ale and BLAST! Garrett's concept for the collaboration was that each brewmaster would brew essentially the same pale, hoppy weissbock in the other's brewery, but with different hopping to reflect the local hop flavor.

Dry-hopped w/ American Amarillo and Palisade.

Added by Todd on 09-18-2007

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Found it aging in my basement. Amazing beer and hope I didn't wait too long. Honey doesn't overwhelm the nose or the fell but is still a welcome addition. Overall, I feel that it was still in its peak and has great sweet notes but still bitter. 10 years too late? Don't think so.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Listed in the 1001... and I'd love to have it again. It is too bad it is no longer brewed.

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.29/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I poured my Hopfen-Weiss into a tall glass and it transformed the base to a warm amber with hues of pure honey with orange highlights. A big foamy white head provides a stark contrast with very good retention. The nose is dominated by a rich, pleasant, tangerine citrus freshness that is as unique as it is intoxicating. There is no hint of alcohol, but maybe a hint of banana and ripe cantaloupe. The initial sip is a whole host of flavors ranging from honey sweetness up front that is quickly overcome by a balanced drying bitterness that lingers long on the palette.

Right from the outset the beer seems more polished than I remembered. I had been carrying this one around for possibly 5 years prior to opening, and it apparently aged well. As I slowly consume this one in my snow covered back yard in MD, I start to notice a touch of clove spiciness prior to drying out to a distinctive bitterness. The initial full mouthfeel is carried off deftly by a moderate carbonation before handing over the baton to the bittering hops. The 8.2% abv is well hidden.

I think I remember this beer as being a little harsh on the finish when it was younger, but time has turned this one into a masterpiece. As I gladly take in a cold, sunny, quiet afternoon, this beer is the perfect compliment. I notice the random tight lacing that forms on the bottom half of my glass. I was fairly confident that a collaboration between one of the best Bavarian brewers, and an icon in American Craft brewing, would put out a great beer, but this beer (in its aged state) well exceeded my expectations.

I had initially poured this beer at a temperature of around 45 degrees, and between the backyard and the house it probably never got warmer than 50 F. But as it warms the dry finish has a creamy component that somehow reminds me of an old fashion soda fountain egg cream (for all you NYC beer-dos). Even as it warms, the Noble hops serve to mask the beer's bigness. The yeasty spiciness becomes more pronounced toward the bottom of the bottle despite my effort to leave the "Noagerl" behind. But this doesn't, in any way, detract from the beer and nicely brings it back closer to its Bavarian roots.

Sure hope I find another one of these in my stash...

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev +1%

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Review from notes. Bottle probably aged for a few months.

Poured a deep tangerine/sienna hue (or perhaps a cloudy amber??) with a huge fluffy off white head. Big citrus notes with big bananas and hint of clove. Earthy overtones as well and a light honey tinge too. Very tasty, the sweet banana comes up first, then spice, then earthy and citrusy finish. Very nice. I like this.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%