Kriek

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
KriekKriek
Notes: The base of this lambic-style beer (60% pilsner malt; 40% unmalted wheat; aged hops; and cooled overnight in our coolship to capture wild florae) was brewed in the Spring 2016.

It then matured in barrels until August 2017, when it was racked over 2,300 pounds of Balaton cherries from the Leelanau Peninsula in Northern Michigan, which is also notable for its wine production. Approximately 100 pounds of cherries went into each barrel selected for the beer.

After waiting another year as the beer and cherries did their thing, we’re incredibly excited to finally release it, our second bottle release, and our first spontaneous beer.
Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 18 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
michaelsmith11 from Illinois

3.79/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I don't think I've ever had anything quite like this before. This is really described as a Lambic - Kriek. It's definitely a little bit lighter than I thought it would be. A little sour but really more tart. I think the cherries bring the tartness to the forefront. Very dry finish. Interesting beer.

Apr 24, 2021
NeutroMan from Illinois

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

500mL bottle (undated, as far as I can tell, but purchased approximately two months prior to this review) into a tulip glass.

A: Deep ruby color. Somewhat vigorous pour yielded a eggshell head that completely vanished almost immediately. Good amount of carbonation bubbling up from the bottom.

S: Montmorency cherries and dark brown sugar.

T: A puckering sour slap that I was not expecting given the aroma! Subsequent sips seemed to mellow out a bit more, maybe I just had to acclimate myself. Still, perhaps a tad too acetic with the cider vinegar and chlorine tones.

M: Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation.

O: A very wild kriek that perhaps needs to be civilized just a bit.

Apr 01, 2021
TMoney2591 from Illinois

2.97/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Revolution Every-Day Hero glass from an aluminum growler filled at Beer on the Wall - Arlington Heights.

I remember the bottles being a bit too expensive for me when I visited the brewery, so I was jazzed to see I could get a fill alongside my bi-weekly order. This stuff pours a mostly-clear garnet-ruby topped by a half-finger at best of off-white foam. The nose comprises tart black cherry, light vinegar, and a tinge of red grape. The taste holds notes of raspberry vinaigrette, light tart cherry, and a wiff of funk. It's a wildly chaotic flavor, one that has more in common with household cleaners than a cherry-based lambic-style beer. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry, sticky finish. Overall, though I know Dovetail's wild and barrel program is pretty damn solid, this beer did not work for me at all. It's far too acetic to be enjoyable, and the cherry character is pushed all the way into the background, somehow. Not my thing, kids. (I see that past iterations have been better, so perhaps I'll try to get my hands on one of the older bottlings for comparison.)

Mar 01, 2021
Stevedore from Oregon

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

Fairly decent cherry skin, good cherry presence with a mild oak and touch of leather. Lighter medium bodied, good carbonation, solid drinker with a nice cherry skin presence. It has a bit of perfume to it, that comes with a lot of heavy cherry wilds. It has a decent complexity although it has a bit less of oomph to it than I would expect compared to the Belgians.

May 16, 2019
REVZEB from Illinois

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Gorgeous ruby red clear body with a few clear bubbles here and there. Smell is spot on, huge sour cherry with hints of sweetness, rich and complex oak, barrel funk, wild flower, brett, some funk belgian yeast, some lacto, and some vinous qualities. Taste brings in same elements but has some muddling in the middle of flavors, starts and finishes crisp and clean in an amazing fashion. Sour cherry clearly the center of it all. This is clearly well made, body and feel are exactly what I want in a lambic, sour oak and fruit pucker, slight crystalized sweetness, and finishing with a pucker and some dryness. Goes great with a cheese board

Apr 17, 2019
Bmunge from Illinois

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I was very excited to try this beer. I was intrigued when the brewery opened and have patiently waited for their spontaneously fermented lambic to be ready. This is truly a lovely beer.

It pours a lovely cherry red with a slight ring of pink foam around the edge. The nose is of cherries, wine, wood, strawberry, vanilla, and Brett funk. The initial taste is tart but not overly lactic tart like many American wilds succumb to. The Brett presence is subtle and the dry sweetness of the cherries balances the tartness well. The finish, while initially bright and crisp, develops into some interesting minerality which is a bit shocking to the palette but also adds character to the brew. It’s a slightly salty, magnesium flavor.

Overall I couldn’t be more impressed with Dovetails first offering of fruited lambic. There are parts of this beer that remind me of 3F Oude Kriek which is a personal favorite. I can’t wait to see what they do with other fruit.

Jul 17, 2018
emerge077 from Illinois

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

7/14/18 first batch:
Draft at the brewery, served in a small snifter.
Deep saturated crimson color, creamy head of pinkish white foam on top.
Aroma has some depth to it, natural acidic cherry and a light Brett funk.
Taste is moderately tart with rich Balaton cherry notes, and light oaky vanilla.

Crisp carbonation, it has a nice pucker and a bone dry finish.
Well made, and 100% spontaneous which lends some unique wild complexity.

Overall, a great authentic kriek using traditional, centuries old methods.
Exciting that this is finally available after 2.5 years of semi-patiently waiting!

July 2019:
Batch #2 draft side by side with 2018 bottle. Brett is very pronounced in the fresh draft, moderately sour with nice fruit presence. The vintage bottle has aged nicely with added almond and vanilla complexity from the cherry pits. 2018 vintage bottle aged very well and scores a 4.35. Thanks Aaron!

2020 bottle **WARNING**:
Noticeable acetic acid and chlorine notes, quite a bit harsher and not as good as previous years. Stick with the original 2018 bottling (large 'D' logo, as pictured here).

Jun 12, 2018