1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Unplugged Belgian Quadruple | New Glarus Brewing Company

Unplugged Belgian QuadrupleUnplugged Belgian Quadruple
4/5
Exceptional
Unplugged Belgian QuadrupleUnplugged Belgian Quadruple

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Belgian Quadrupel (Quad)

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

None provided.

Reviews by coldmeat23:
4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

4.67/5  rDev +16.8%

I remember nights I’ve spent at Delilah’s in Chicago drinking late 1990’s vintages of saisons from Brasserie de Blaugies well. I crave them. I relish them. I find the Moneuses to take on a gueze like funky character as they age that I just can’t get enough of. Here in this fresh beer, released just days ago by New Glarus, I have once again found that character.

To be honest, pouring this beer into a large snifter startled me. The label says quad, correct? I’m not used to light mahogany quads. A ¾ inch thick light khaki, almost off white head made a nice impression though. Eventually it settled to soapy skim with a 1/8 inch rim around the glass. Better yet, a quick swish of my snifter and the head revitalized to a solid ¼ inch. It’s certainly very pretty, if off for the style.

After admiring the look of this brew I take a whiff…again, this is no quad. I am immediately struck by the funk. I’m excited. Frankly I thrilled. Very few American brewers even attempt to create a brew like this. Even fewer brewers in the Midwest give it a go and in my opinion those who do fall far short of their brewing friends across the pond. Heck, even New Glarus who has made some interesting stabs at the funk in the past with their Sour Brown and Enigma has never gotten it this right. I am truly stunned by the aroma of this beer.

Aromatic barnyard notes of hay and lemon are accentuated by an intense nutmeg and clove spiciness. Sour powdery yeast hints at what is to come. My mouth begins watering. I’m almost drooling in anticipation of the funk to come.

I take a sip. Whoa, the spice is really intense. After giving it some thought, I think that it’s almost too much, a problem that will be rectified with age. I manage to take in some cherry notes someplace in the middle and then a wonderful sour yeast flavor washes over my tongue along with some assertive carbonation.

As the beer warms with my mouth and belly along with it, the alcohol almost manages to shine through in the flavor. Apple and pear come into play as well and what is that other spice I get…vanilla? Yep, just the slightest touch of vanilla can found in the finish…and then there is the funky sourness. Oh the Bret comes through so well in this beer. I can only dream about what it will do with age. There are bits of hay, lemon rind, and one hell of a sour bite that is dramatically accented by the micro carbonation.

Now that the beer has reached somewhere in the 60 degree range the head is completely gone. It begins looking more like a fine liquor and frankly, it’s feeling like it. This beer weighs in at a healthy 25 degree plato and the ABV must have ended up some where around 10%. One brew is having a noticeable effect on me.

Drinkability is high. Despite the strength I find that it goes down quite easily, too easily frankly. This beer could be dangerous.

Now that it’s approaching room temp, I am picking up on a whole host of boozy dark fruit. Sadly, the funk is mostly gone, overwhelmed by the strength of the booze, the barrel, and the fruit. A sour finish still ends things rather nicely.

Through and through an outstanding beer. BAs who enjoy the saisons of Hiver or a nice glass of gueze should find this beer as Ass kicking as I do. I’m in beer heaven. Pick up a case of this your self, or trade with a Wisconsin BA so that you can join me.

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

The pour is slightly heady moving to a skim of foam. It looks like a necklace for the goblet. The color is clear copper. The taste is of cinnamon but the smell is of cedar. I know barrels are usually of oak and I have smelled the pissiness of oak for many years. This is a cedar smell. Perhaps the urine and whiskey blend into cedar, but at this time, I don't care. Cedar works. I'm curious whether this beer would go well with cedar planked salmon.

The alcohol is present and the bret is too. I get slightly sour, boozy,spiced ale. Quad seems to me the designation of strength and complexity. This beer is strong and complex...It's also still in pieces...Pieces analyze well but are not beguiling. Like good Indian food, the spices are best when they blend to inscrutability. I like what I taste now, but I'm curious as to what it tastes like in the future. I'll have to return to WI to get more to find out.

3.26/5  rDev -18.5%

A-Rich orange/amber color with a 1/4 white head

S-Big barnyard aroma....this was unexpected..sour and "wild" smelling...a little oak as well.

T-Sweet flavored...some mild notes of cherries and oak...decent but again not what I expected...the longer I drink this the more pronounced the cherries and oak become...

M-Medium to full bodied...a little sticky sweet and little thinner than I expected

D-Not one of the better Unplugged beers in my opinion....not at all what I expected a NG quad to taste like. This is not a bad beer by any means but in no way compares to the top quads...a different take but this will be the only ones I purchase..

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

Crystal clear copper. Thin dirty whit head. Lace is minimal. Decent aroma. Some sour Brett character. Slight cherries. A little sweet malt. Flavor is pretty solid overall. As everybody else has stated, not your typical QUAD, but goo nonetheless. The alcohol is light and nicely integrated. For such a big beer, it's not too hot. Cherries are subdued. And more tart than sweet. But there is a sweet presence in this beer as well. More of a malt derived sweetness I believe. Brett lends just a titch of sourness to this beer. Bourbon barrel adds some sweetness, but again, it's not too powerful. Between the Brett, Bourbon Barrel and High Gravity, there is actually a nice integration of flavor. Good beer.

3.82/5  rDev -4.5%

12 oz. bottle tried 1 Apr 2008. Thanks to R&S for this one.

Medium tight yellowish head. Clear burnished copper color. Aroma is sweet and syrupy, some dates, bourbon, ethanol and raisins. Starts sweet and smoky with raisin and rum flavors. Some brown sugar and dates as well. Some sourdough flavor. Finishes dry and warming. Ethanol is not as strong as the aroma would indicate. Medium body.

Tasty, a bit different from other quads I've tried.

4/5  rDev 0%

Twilight auburn honey colored with a rising- and falling- ochre head.
The nose is full of burnt coconut, vanilla-caramel-hazelnut nougat, charred wood, and cherries. Aside from the Bretty yeast aromas of basements, this could basically pass for diluted Bourbon, if smelled quickly.
It enters with a vague wash of tropical and dark fruits (a la mangoes, starfruits, dates, plantains, plums, and papayas), then the barrel and Brett characteristics send them scurrying for the corners. Now it's all on that aroma omen: burnt coconut, vanilla-caramel-hazelnut nougat, charred wood, and cherries. Congruency is cool, I guess....even when it is jammed down your throat. Brett traits are more peppery than funky, and add coherency to the upcoming cinnamon booze bash closing. It finishes hot, but not shudderingly or jarringly so.
Thickened, nearly sticky body, given boost with some straggling CO2. This drinks well as a nightcap or digestif. I am sorry if this review nearly mimics my previous one for Unplugged Bourbon Barrel Bock, but it's intentional, as they are eeriely similar. This one is better overall, primarily because the texture, but it is also helped by the fact that it fits into a style with a lot more leeway.
Good overall, but the Unplugged lineup is getting a bit redundant. These don't taste like anything else, except each other.

4.67/5  rDev +16.8%

Stunning! Absolutely stunning! Unlike the dark and malty monsters you might expect from a beer labeled "Belgian Quadruple", New Glarus offers a clear, orange-copper ale that's thoroughly complex and unlike anything you'd ever expect. The Brettanomcyes hit me first, peeking through the honey-sweet malt of the nose like a tart apple that's been rotting in the orchard next to the barn. Beautiful! Then in the flavor I found lots of oak. Ah, how wonderful. What a great combination, Brett and drying oak. But there's also caramelsih malt, spiciness and mild alcohol, and more fruit (raisins, cherry, fig). Quite marvelous! But then, there it was in the finish, bourbon. Yep, bourbon! What an unusual and bizarre combination, and yet it works so completely well that I could never imagine it any other way. It goes from lightly funky and slightly tart, to raspy dry and spicy, and then dripping sweet with gooey vanilla before a varied fruit background. Did I say stunning? The spice and alcohol return in the dry finish along with some dark-skinned fruit. Kind of peppery in a way, but also drizzled with caramel... dry but sweetish... wacky! A most memorable brew! If you're a fan of Brett or Bourbon you'd better try to get some of this before it's gone.

3.93/5  rDev -1.8%

I got this in a trade with orbitalrOx. Thanks Don!

This pours from red foil wrapped bottle a clear reddish gold with a huge and growing head of foam. It comes close to overflowing but stops just short.

The smell is dominated by clove and yeast with a good presence of dark fruit and some nice Brett. There's also some strong peppery notes going on here.

The taste is spicy with that pepper and clove starting off..that's followed by caramel malt that adds a lot of sweetness(could be some candy sugar there helping out too), oak & bourbon, vanilla, yeasty notes, and some bread, that's most notable in the finish, along with some fig and just a bit of the Brett that I noted in the smell. Sadly, I don't think the alcohol is hidden all that well as I get some in the taste, some during the swallow, and a lot of warming after the swallow. It's tasty for sure but I wouldn't want to take any more than small sips at a time.

It has a medium mouthfeel overall though at times it comes across to me as being almost syrupy, and the carbonation is medium light. The head retention is *very* good as is the lacing.

I'd say that *maybe* this "Quad" is trying to do too much and is a tad too complex for the style but..don't get me wrong. I like it and I'd drink it again. Btw, I think this one is 11%abv but I don't remember where I read that so some research on my part is in order. ;^)

3.88/5  rDev -3%

Appearance - pours a honey gold with good clarity. The little etchy thing in the Sam Adams glass keeps a steady parade of bubbles flowing. The head is meager though it holds at a thin cover nicely. A stray line of lace reaching up from a solid collar.

Aroma - smells sweet, a little musty, a little metallic. A fleeting fruity element keeps its distance and I can't place it. Subtle alcohol vapors invade late.

Taste - grains are kind of hidden. This has a bit of a wine feel to it, the oak is up front. Besides the barrel, the mustiness and alcohol are helping with that I think. A little metal early but the abv is driving that off smartly. For as open as the funky taste is, I think I mind it less among the other flavors. Some sour fruity notes after the swallow, again remiscent of wine. As it warms, more of the bourbon barrel characters begin to show. A beer, a wine, a whiskey...three drinks in one. Quite a quad.

Mouthfeel - very bubbly, makes for a stately experience. Body is just a little bigger than average, some light smoothness enhances a bigger beer feel.

Drinkability - usually not a style I take to, this evening finds me short that second bottle to prolong the session. Well done NG.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

C - Clear, dark amber with the a thin surface covering for the head that quickly dissipates.

A- Alcohol, fermenting cherries, fruit, oak, yeast, and feint apricot. It's also slightly medicinal.

M- Full-bodied

T- This is a sipper. It has a taste reminiscent of almost a cherry-like fruitiness. The yeast is apparent. Feint brandy-like flavor is followed by an oakiness from the aging. Alcohol is detected toward the back. It's very refined and warming.

D- I was pleasantly surprised with this latest Unplugged offering. This would make a great "winter warmer". As Spring nears, it's definitely worth seeking out a few bottles and laying them down for later this year. This is really well done for a Quad, and I'd have to say probably one of the more solid offerings in the Unplugged line.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. It had a nice solid copper color with some alcohol shimmer. It had a very small head that quickly dissipated. No lacing and minimal carb. The smell starts off great with the brett and cherries but gets dinged by the bourbon smell. The taste is pretty good with a good sour taste offset by some sweet malt. The alcohol shows up at first but tones down as you drink more - not sure if it fades or you just get numbed to it. Good mouthfeel. Overall, a pretty good beer but quads are an every so often style for me and the bourbon smell and taste limit this one further. Glad I tried it but won't be looking for more. (3.5, NA-OIE, ML, N)

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Very nice, solid copper color. Moderate amount of CO2 in there. Sweet and somewhat toffeeish aroma-yeasty and slighlty sulfury. Very clean and malty tasting. I am amazed at how "clean" the flavor comes off. Malty with a slight earthy and yeasty flavor. Mild bitterness. Not overly complex. Almost as smooth as any bock I have had. Good mouthfeel. Nice sweetness in the finish. The whole package here blows me away-everything about this beer is great. Dont know what the abv is but this is damn drinkable. Seems more like a lager then an ale but I'll take it.

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Lightly red and rosey orange with a soft glow and a good amount of carbonation percolating within. Smallish dense capping of off-white foam breathes for a bit before it fades to a soft skim and a few strecthes of inky stringed lacing.

Aroma is slightly tinted in a sour cherry realm, light and fruity sweet, a touch of tin within the alcoholic warmth is quite evident.

Taste is unique for a quad, a bit more fruity and light, then dark and malty with sweet candy. This has light fruity sweetness tied in with a quick punch of sourness which reaches into cherries, berries, pear, and apple. Rounds off nicely into the finish with a quiet build up of fruit skin dryness of green raisin, cherry, and pear. Uniquely heated with a complexing warmth to its nature. Kinda sherry-ish mixed with a white wine, mixed with a light lambic soured quality thats very easy to handle and not overbearing in any fashion. The malts play out well and keep a nice, sweet balance to measure off the soured tones. More like a fruit beer, but fitting within a Belgian quailty, no doubt.

Feel is light to medium in tone to begin, lightly pucking on sour, quick, crisp, but somehow has a malty character that builds from underneath making it a fun voyage on the palate as it flows into the middle and finish. As with the flavors, the balance is quite acceptable with an overall malty solitude that's noteably bold with a nice twist of sour and snap, crispness, and verve. The warmth is complexing and the dryness very light and pleasing.

A nice little drinker for sure;slips down right quick. Perhaps, and yes, quite unusually suited to be catagorized as a Quad. It has a unique character all of owns that somehow speaks to the name New Glarus.

3.89/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to NoLiberty for this...
Appears a copper, semi transparent with a small, white head theat fades into a tiny cap. Small speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of vanilla, brown sugar, light tartness, caramel, notes of cherries and raisins.
Taste is of the aromas but a definite drop from the excellent nose with the cherry note becoming more evident in the mix.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, lightly boozy, with a caramel sweet finish.

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours sparkling clear copper, with a spongy, off-white head.
The porous foam rose to two inches before slowly receding to a decent skim coat on the surface.
The nose has a bready malt base, followed by red grapes, juniper berries, and fuselish cloves.
The mouthfeel is on the sticky side of medium, fairly crisp, and tacky.
The pallet has a malt base with a fair amount of residuals, ripe fruit, gin-infused bubblegum, and warming alcohols.
Bitterness and all other hopping is minimal and balancing at best.
Finishes with some heat on the back of the tongue, and a wince of quanine.

A fairly straightforward Quad. Plenty quaffable, but restrained in nature.

3.77/5  rDev -5.8%

Decent carbonation brings about an inch of tan head. Body is a reddish honey amber in color. Head fades to just a skim in a couple of minutes. nose has hints of green apples, tart berries , and sweet malt laced notes in the backround. Enters the mouth and quickly wakes up the tongue with a bit of tart twang but that quickly yeilds to a spicey malty richness that is bold and almost peppery at times but not harsh. The dark fruit notes are there as well and linger on the tongue creating a rather thick mouthfeel. The tart feel calms as the beer warms and the complexity develops. Unique personality really brings out the drinkability of this brew.

3.42/5  rDev -14.5%

Bottle courtesy of Demcorhip: Poured a medium-to-dark brown color ale with a nice foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with hint of vanilla and bourbon coming out. Taste is quite sweet but avoid being exceedingly sweet which would have gross out this beer with some light vanilla and some alcohol. Body is not as full as I would have expected for the style. I find this style to be quite thought for the brewer with the high expectation resulting from the wonderful Trappist example of the style. I also thought that the barrel-aging didn’t work really well on that one and that bourbon taste I could have done without and the sweetness was not balance right.

2.91/5  rDev -27.3%

Seemed like there was a lot of fuss about this beer here in WI when it first came out, so it seems it's time I gave it a try. This brewery carries a lot of cache, but I remain unimpressed with most of their beers I've tried. This beer has a great appearance and good mouthfeel, and in my mind is true to style, but I didn't find the mix of flavors in the taste of the beer to be really to my liking.

Appearance of this beer is quite good. It is not as dark and murky as most other Belgian quads I've had. It is a deep and brilliant red color, and is clear and polished. Head is half a finger, and retreats quickly, except for a bit remaining in the middle of the surface. Aroma is sour and lightly oaky with considerable similarity to a merlot. The bottle body label mentions this beer was aged in oak lager tanks and bourbon barrel aged...which seems like a few extra stops. Flavor is very malty up front with considerable alcohol taste in the middle, followed by a significant amount of sourness. Not bad, and certainly in the style of a quad, but not great and not very drinkable. Carbonation is very fine, which leads to a good mouthfeel.

3.12/5  rDev -22%

Completely sediment free and brilliantly clear, a fair amount of carbonation causes a multitude of streaming carbonation bubbles to dash maddeningly to through this artificially clear, ruby hued brew. The head starts out about a fat one-finger thickness (a bit less than one would expect from the carbonation) and is a tan color. The aroma is quite spicy with substantial notes of clove, a touch of allspice and maybe even a hint of nutmeg. Spicy esters and higher alcohols add notes of white pepper, pickled Japanese ginger, ample nutmeg and cherry cough syrup. The aroma is quite sweet, and really quite cloying, somehow even simplistic, despite the added dimension of oak, bourbon, vanillin and brandy character. If I had to guess based solely on the aroma and heading of this brew, that this one has been overly filtered.

Wow, this drinks quite light for a beer of this strength; I was expecting it to have quite a bit more body and residual sweetness than it does. Bourbon character is noticeable as are flavors of vanillin, lightly spicy wood and buttery oak. The barrel character is actually not overwhelming, but still seems to be the most noticeable thing about the flavor. I can't help but still feel like this has been filtered quite tightly, lots of malt complexity & yeast character seems to be missing from this brew. Spice notes of nutmeg and clove, mix with brandy-like warming alcohol notes to form some light turpenes driven character.

Somehow, even though I was not expecting too much from this beer, this is really just a lackluster beer. With all of the complex potential something like a bourbon barrel aged quad should have, when missing the mark, I would have expected this to have been a complete train wreck of flavors. Instead it just seems a bit flabby and somehow lackluster; this is missing the depth of malt character & rich fruitiness that I would expect in a Quad, even a mediocre one. If this was actually filtered, I would be curious to try this unfiltered and bottle conditioned.

4.2/5  rDev +5%

A 12 oz foil-wrapped bottle courtesy of JeffKrenner at DLD 2007. I shared this with that incalcuable mooch Deuane.

A: The ale is a light amber color, golden orange with touches of cherry red. A small head from the pour didn't stick around long.

S: The nose has sour cherries running amok. They leave a tart sweetness that is lambic in nature.

T: The taste does not pull punches. Apple butter and tart cherries emerge from the first sip. The ale is not sour but the cherries go a long way in adding tartness. Touches of cinnamon add more sweetness and heat to the flavor. The finish to the ale burns a bit as it sits there.

M: The ale nicely showcases the tart cherries. The montmorency-like flavors are chewy and delicious. The tastebuds can't help but appreciate the flavor.

D: Too many New Glarus ales are too good. This is another solid offering that doesn't disappoint.

3.23/5  rDev -19.3%

Thanks to Drewbeerme for this most excellent extra. 12 ounce bottle. Reddish Bronze color. Fairly subtle nose. Collapsing mouthfeel with no creaminess, depth or weight. Nice flavor however, with hints of caramel, vanilla and nutmeg. A pretty good beer.

Another experiment from Dan and Carey...

A-Burnished, shiny copper body with nice rocky head. Little lacing. Much lighter than I expected for a quad?

S-Here comes the barnyard funk. Definate Brett presence. Big sour oakiness is also apparent. Not what I expected for a quad?

T-Sweetness followed by a semi-harsh alcohol twang. The bold oak and brett presence seems a bit out of place for this beer. I know people are going to be upset, but this is not a Belgian quadrupel in my eyes. I commend the effort, but I want a rich, hearty, full-bodied taste in a quad?

M-The sourness is predominant. Behind that is a thin body with an unbalanced sweetness. Odd for a quad?

D-I am sure that I am getting my point across on this one...not your typical quad. I picture quads as the cliche-termed "liquid bread" for a beer of this style. Not a bad beer by any means but it seems like the last few unplugged releases in terms of taste and characteristics.

I love that NG is using wild yeast strains, but they may be a little out of place in this beer.

4.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Glazed apricot with bronze-like undertones. The upper third of the snifter is occupied by ivory colored foam that is softly Rice Crispies snap-crackle-poppy. However, it manages to be whipped creamy and looks much better as it melts. Abstract patches of lace don't hang around forever, but look good nonetheless.

Has Unplugged Belgian Quadruple bitten off more than it can chew? A Belgian-style quad from New Glarus? Great. Aged in bourbon barrels? Even better. Brettanomyces? Not a good idea given the first two. In the end, the yeast covers up whatever aromas would have resulted from the malt and the barrel-aging. Note: warming improves things immensely.

There's a much more successful marriage of such seemingly disparate flavor elements on the palate. I'll say one thing, this is one of the most unique beers that I've had in many a moon. A bourbon barrel-aged wild quadrupel? Why the hell not? In Dan Carey's more than capable hands, anything has the potential to be good beer.

The quadrupel is easily able to stand up to the funkiness of the yeast. Flavors such as English toffee, brown sugar, sticky dates, tangy plums, candied cherries and candied orange peel are reminiscent of Christmas fruitcake, a comparison that often applies to beer of this style. The burnt sugar character of the bourbon, although not quite as prominent as it could be, isn't lost in the shuffle either.

Considering the 11.0% ABV, the alcohol is extremely well-masked. It provides a pleasant warming on the way down, a gentle numbing of the mouth and tongue, and an increasing sense of well-being. I've just noticed a blackberry brandy-like character... and tawny port wouldn't be that much of a stretch. Anyone who doesn't appreciate this beer's complexity doesn't have a properly functioning palate.

The mouthfeel is a little light for the style and the alcohol content. It's still very close to exceptional. A light stickiness on the finish and a perfect amount of carbonation (not much) is just what the doctor ordered.

Big surprise, Wisconsin's best brewery has hit the bull's eye again. Unplugged Belgian Quadruple is unique, fascinatingly complex, delicious and drinkable. Since that covers pretty much all the bases, what we have here is a grand slam. I would love to have another dozen bottles or so in the cellar.

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

This bottle was aged a year. It pours a cloudy pure yellow with minimal head. It has an eggy yeasty smell, and that is in the taste. Not complex and fruity, it is still an interesting fullmouthed Belg, with a salty and very high alcohol in aftertaste above all, a drop of the advertised nutmeg.

Unplugged Belgian Quadruple from New Glarus Brewing Company