Biere De Venus

From:
Deschutes Brewery

Oregon, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this beer awhile ago (hence my adding of the beer to BA), but have just gotten around to reviewing it, now that my vacation is over. Unfortunately, I didn't do any taste notes, and I was already a beer in (XXVII, mind you), but I recall quite well that this was a pretty underwhelming beer given what I expect from Deschutes. The beer is dark -- which I wasn't expecting -- and smells and tastes ... pretty "alright." It's not what I was expecting given the style. It's not as funky as I would expect. A little too toasty (like the other reviewer said) and not funky enough. A slight and strange (but welcome) grape kind of flavor is also there. This was a decent beer and pretty memorable, but at the same time, not something I'd urge others to try.

3.69/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I had this beer on-tap in a tulip at the Deschutes Bend brewpub.

Appearance: rich dark brown hue, perhaps darker than normal for the style.

Smell: lightly funky, toasty and grassy. Not bad for the style.

Taste: moderate funk with a dash of toastiness. Bitterness is low. Not bad for the style, if a bit toasty.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good carbonation and creaminess. Quite good.

Overall: despite the good texture of this beer, something in it rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps too bitey for the style? Hard to say. Good on paper, but not especially drinkable.

Biere De Venus from Deschutes Brewery