Jim-Jim's Farmhouse Ale

From:
Deschutes Brewery

Oregon, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
3.55/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Jim-Jim's is I believe Deschutes first go at a sour belgian. I was a bit confused, as this is more like a Flander's Red than a farmhouse/saison, in my opinion. But they call it a farmhouse, so that what i'll classify it as. meh.

Made with pilsner malt, munich, and oats, and good spicy noble hopping. Coriander, orange peel, and grains o' paradise. Then stuffed in Pinot Noir barrels and aged with wild (brett?) yeast.

Pours a reddish brown, almost rust color, with some loose water-bubbly head into a snifter.

Not really getting any of the barnyard/horseblanket brett funk thats typical of a farmhouse. Instead, big sour cherry, vinegar, and good musty fruit and grain. Slight bile acidity and graininess, fizzy with c02. Much more of a Flanders, like i said. Served a bit too cold for my liking as well, but warm hands took care of that.

As it warmed up, developed nicely.

Taste is complex. Unfortuatly a vinegar and salty brine is kind of forward, which is ashame, because there's a lot of fun stuff happening in this one too. THe grains of paradise, coriander, and hopping gives a nice peppery spice and good aftertaste, especially once this brew warms up.

I'm super happy that Deschutes is experimenting like this, and I really can't wait for The Dissident to come out. I'm hoping they keep coming out with obscure styles. I thought this beer to be very good and unique, but on the low-end of the other beers in this or similar styles.

Jim-Jim's Farmhouse Ale from Deschutes Brewery