Saison Du BUFF | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Plans call for Saison du BUFF to be a 6% alc/vol Saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This beer will be brewed three times, once at each brewery using the same recipe.

Added by SaCkErZ9 on 08-05-2010

Reviews: 444 | Ratings: 1,606
4.23/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Saison Du Buff pours a golden color, with a small, barley lacing head. Big creamy aroma, lots of spice. Taste is also very creamy, lots of spice, lots of thyme and sage, mixes very well, with a slight bitter finish. Good body and feel. Overall, a pretty complex Saison, but great flavors.

3.26/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into Bell's Hopslam Tulip. No bottling/freshness date.

L: Clear yellow, a touch lighter than your typical Saison. Nice big fluffy head, two fingers of off-white. Good lacing.

S: Very typical Saison aroma, very funky and fruity and spicy. Some herbs, mainly sage and rosemary, with touches of the parsley and thyme. Doesn't smell that inviting to be honest.

T: Okay, this might be an off putting analogy but this tastes like a cold carbonated alcoholic herbal tea. I think they hit the mark of what Dogfish/Victory/Stone wanted but not what consumers wanted. It's not a good Saison. Sure it pushes the boundaries of typical beer but it just doesn't taste good. It's not particularly bad and I will finish it but I will never drink it again, even if someone offered it up. It has no fruit taste or yeasty funk in the flavor.

F: Light, crisp. Semi-dry.

O: Not a fan.

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

04/11/2017

Bottle to goblet; after a long day walking the Philadelphia zoo; listening to various versions of Scarborough Fair on YouTube as I imbibe.

LOOK: light yellow, healthy white creamy head.
AROMA: grassy, spicy, sage and rosemary are most pronounced of that famous quartet. Farmhouse ale type esters are mixed in, but not overpowering as they sometimes are. Pleasantly fragrant.
TASTE: esters, peach, apple; there is a tartness in the end that I don't love. Still a tasty beer.
FEEL: Creamy and somewhat light, but it builds on you and this needs to be a sipper or you'll get over powered.

Good Collaboration from three great breweries.

4.79/5  rDev +25.4%

It was a cool and crisp February evening, a wisping wind tickled by chest as the sun began to set in the distance. I took a seat in the green and brown grass of the meadow that lay before me. There was a dark brown bottle that lay afoot in the distance, it had called me, it had introduced to me it's likeness.

I was drawn in like a moth to the light, like Romeo to his lover. It had spoken to me, and as I was delighted to meet it. It had said "My name is Saison Du Buff, drink me - indulge yourself with my essence". As I took a sip of the bottle the soft glow of the sunset has glimmered before my eyes, the cold and bubbly liquid had entered me, and invigorated my very soul.

I had come to know it, and it now knew me, and its subtle notes of thyme and coriander had enlivened me and brought me into an intimate evening dance. It's light hoppiness but stark and swift touch of malt had taken to the era of jazz and I personally met Miles Davis in his spiritual form.

As I had finished the drink, with the subtle touch of the foaminess of the last drop it had gently and pleasantly returned me back home. It was the end of the evening, and the sun gave its last breath of radiance before it had gone under. Returned I was, but indeed, I was now a different man.

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz. bottle, bottled 06/10/2014 printed on the bottleneck. Aged 2 years and one month. "Ale brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, & thyme". I have typically been unimpressed with the Stone and Victory versions of this beer I've had in the past.

Poured into a Duvel tulip snifter.

A - Pours a nice golden orange body, lots of sediment visible in the glass, with around two fingers of frothy white head that lingers as a ring and leaves some okay lacing. The beer is still fresh and perfectly carbonated. Looks nice.

S - Notes of the dry herbal spices is obvious, with a touch of basil / lemongrass type aroma in there also. Subtle notes of orange / citrus rind, and perhaps a touch fumey with alcohol. Smells okay.

T - Taste follows the nose: crisp saison yeast, notes of cream, lemongrass, orange / citrus rind, basil, thyme, herbal spice rack. The yeast seems to have really smoothed things out, it tastes very creamy & Belgian-y, almost more like a tripel or a dubbel. Much more notes of lemongrass & citrus in this one also than I remember from previous versions.

M - The feel is smooth, crisp, creamy, lightly citrusy. Carbonation has held up very well, if i didn't know any better, i'd think this was released within the past year.

Overall, I'd call it decent, but i wouldn't call it great. Better than the 2015 vintage i had from Victory, and the 2016 brewed by Stone, so perhaps a couple years of age helps smooth this one out.

Dogfish Head Saison Du Buff (2014) -----3.5/5

2.14/5  rDev -44%

I love Saisons and so I grabbed this quickly as part of a mixpack without reading the specific herbs they used.
I don't like a lot of Rosemary, Sage and Thyme when used in cooking, so as expected, this was something I could not finish after giving it several sips to at least try it. The herb flavors are just too overwhelming IMO. My low smell/taste/overall score is a more a personal rating against the additions as some find these added flavors to be a good thing..

4.69/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Stone Bottling
12 oz Brown Glass
Bottled 2/18/2016
6.8% Alc/vol

A really nice, zippy farmhouse, obviously mischievously hopped for the style, but is kind of off-balance with its sheer vigor. Very nicely farmy, masterly belgique-twisted, an adventurous take that shines with an experienced confidence.. Even though something weird is going on here, it's still better than 99.99% of all other beers out there, seriously! Though, candidly, and ultimately regrettably, it's not quiteeee what I would expect from a tripartite brewing force of near-royal magnitude, but hey, I guess it is sometimes harder to work together? Excellent, top-shelf-yeast game does come in with a quick, snappy carbonation, as well as a thundering alcohol presence throughout the sip, yielding a very fine, satisfying drink. Again, the rowdy, indulgent explosions of the peppered-in parsley, sage, rosemary, and lemon-thyme really seem to be what's getting through to me from this beer, and I like it. Bold and successful. A big reason why i'm loving early April. Go drink one, and be merry

1.08/5  rDev -71.7%

Vile. Loathsome. Worst beer ever. Since this is a Dogfish Head and Stone collaboration, I was expecting something potable if not profound. But like many collaborations, Saison du Buff is the crap of both worlds. And the Rosemary! What kind of savage puts rosemary in beer? You might as well use lavender and bathe in it. Dirty bath water tastes better. Washed it down with Choc Lobster.

3.14/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12 oz 2012 bottle served in a lager glass.

Pours a yellow-gold color, lightly hazy, and with a huge creamy white head that goes over the top of the glass despite a rather gentle half-pour. Appears to have very fine, natural carbonation.

Aroma: funky, yeasty, hoppy, grassy, herbal aroma.

Taste is similar but even more herbal. with traces of the herb additives. Lightly tart; neither sweet nor bitter.

O: very interesting and very herbal, but refreshing.

3.62/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

No label information. Saison du Buff is brewed in the style of a Saison / Farmhouse Ale with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Collaborative recipe between Dogfish Head, Stone Brewing & Victory Brewing, with individual versions brewed and bottled at each brewery. This is the Dogfish Head version, available in individual 12 oz. bottles and on rotating draft.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a tulip glass.

(Appearance) Pours an ample crisp foamy head of a pastel white color over a medium hazy golden yellow body with thin sediment and ample, lively carbonation. Retention is good and lacing is light and spotty. 3.75

(Smell) Malt notes of cracker malt with a delicate fruit yeast undertone, faint spice. I'm not picking up much on the Parsley, Sage, Rosemary nor Thyme in the aroma. Potency is moderate. 3.5

(Taste) Cracker wheat and biscuit malts with juicy fruit yeast notes, potent herbal spice flavors, not sure which flavors come through more than others, but the herbal flavor altogether is very bold. Finishes dry with a lingering note of spice on the tail. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) Texture is silky, slick, briskly dry. Carbonation is high, generating a medium frothiness and a very crisp finish. Body is medium for the style, shy of medium overall. Balance is slightly herbal bitter and fruity tart over sweet. Alcohol presence is light and there are no off characters. 3.5

(Overall) The herbal spice characters enhance the fruitiness fairly well for an interesting hybrid effect. It's a pretty interesting blend of flavors. Not sure if this is a saison to be enjoyed in large quantities for everybody, but its not a regrettable buy for an individual bottle. 3.5

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery's
Saison du Buff
3.62/5.00

3.45/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I feel like I liked this a lot more when i was younger, but now it sort of comes across like lavender soap, with some light fresh Belgian phenol and banana ester, sharp and tart with hints of mint.

3.33/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed 6/7/12

L: Straw color with billowy white head.

A: Very herbal. I don’t know whether it’s the parsley, sage, rosemary, or thyme, but this thing just smells just like a spice rack only a hint of saison-character. Not loving it.

T: Saison-like dry spiciness with an herbal bitterness. Finishes fairly dry with a bitterness that is substantively different than that of hops, a bit abrasive and lingers for a long while. Not terrible, but it’s kind of medicinal and not too complex.

F: Fairly light mouthfeel with medium carbonation. A bit of warmth.

O: I appreciate what they’re trying to do: brewing a beer style characterized by its spiciness with spices, which sometimes works out quite well. But I really don’t love this beer at the end of the day. It’s just too herbal and medicinal.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours a hazy straw, with a small head. nose; light fragrant garden herb (sage/thyme?). taste; grass, lemon zest, yeast, sage and a soapy coriander/cilantro/parsley flavor. medium carbonation and mouthfeel. a fragrant, lemon-punctuated fresh-herb saison that isn't as yeasty as most.

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a hazed radiant orange colour, capped by a ring of white head and a bit of lace. Smell is certainly spice dominant, reminds me a bit of those pre seasoned pizza bases, parsley is easily detectable, underlying yeast and a light orange/lemon fruity aspect as well. Taste is much better than the nose, spice is pretty much secondary to a more traditional saison, yeasty and fruity with a grainy dry finish, some subtle spice in the aftertaste, but a nice dry fruitiness is the most present here. Medium carbonation, medium body, creamy feel. I was actually surprised by how good this was, reading the ingredients gave me some hesitations about this but it was quite enjoyable in every aspect with the exception of smell, this was nearly 10 months old when I bought it and was a pick by my wife as the last bottle I needed for a mix-6 pack and I'm glad she did because truth be told I wouldn't have picked this on my own.

2.87/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Had in a four pack I picked up in Delaware. I thought this was only a one time thing but I guess they keep brewing it. Fresh bottle date, nonetheless. Pours yellow, mostly clear, with a super fluffy head.

Smell is... Odd. I can't put my finger on it but there is a ton of spice and herbs here. Somewhat medicinal. Had one sip and I don't like this at all. So I let it warm up, still bad. Very medicinal in the herb choice, almost like a liquid Ricola cough drop. Drain pour.

Had another bottle a few days later, drain pour. Not good.

3.08/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 6/10/14 at 42 degrees into a flute
Aroma upon opening the bottle is overpoweringly nauseating but it quickly drops to a somewhat pleasant parsley odor.
Head large (10.5 cm, aggressive pour), white, frothy, diminishing to irregular frothy ring and partial frothy layer
Lacing fair – irregular islands and archipelagos of small to medium bubbled froth.
Body light yellow, hazy, effervescent
Flavor odd. Not picking up any of the yeast phenolics or fruity esters of a normal saison, just a vegetable taste, more like parsnip than parsley, no rosemary or sage, light peppery bite; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light, watery, carbonation watery

Appearance 4, Aroma 3.5, Flavor 2.5, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.25

3.57/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 year old bottle. Nice hazy, darkish orange in appearance. Get the rosemary and sage on the nose but not as in your face as I had hoped. Also a little citrusy. The flavors seemed muted, but definitely an herbal taste. Easy drinking but very carbonated...too much in my opinion. Overall a drinkable saison but nothing spectacular. I'd buy every year to see how they do it but wouldn't buy multiples.

3.74/5  rDev -2.1%

Bottled 06/19/14 Poured into a tulip glass.

L- Muted yellow, hazy, three finger white head, a few tiny particles.

S- Lemongrass, yeast, the herbs come through but not in an overwhelming way.

T- Similar to aroma, lemongrass, yeast, and some of the herbs, mostly rosemary and sage coming through. Little bit of hops on the finish.

F- Medium, nice high carbonation that is typical of the style.

O- This is like many Dogfish Had beers in that it takes a bit for your palate to warm up to the flavor combination but I think the herbs work well here. They are not over done and maybe the fact that it's almost a year old has something to do with that but the Saison yeast is still the main flavor of this beer. I really liked the carbonation level of this beer and really reminds me of Saison Dupont in it's look.

3.89/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy pear color with a massive head and sediment on the bottom. Earthy, herbal, spicy, bready and fruity; particularly tropical fruits. Complex taste; fruits, bread, leafy, and alcohol. Predominant among these is the herbs and spices which makes this stand apart from other saisons. Also a hint of tobacco. Light mouthfeel, zesty carbonation and dry finish.
Overall I like this one even if it's not my favorite from dog fish head. The intense herb infusion tends to overpower and lose balance, however, I applaud DFH's continued efforts in taking it to the extreme.

2.85/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Golden color, surprisingly brilliantly clear. Pours a big white head, fluffy and with decent retention.

Slightly unpleasant minty aroma, definitely smells of a spice beer. No malt, no hops.

First flavor thought that came to mind for me was mouthwash. Slightly minty and sweet. Spices/yeast also provide a medicinal flavor early, amplifying the minty mouthwash sensation.

Fairly thin body and moderate high carbonation provides for a refreshing mouthfeel.

It looks good and feels good, but smells and tastes bad. I tend to love DFH's core "normal" beers, but often am disappointed by their goofier offerings. This falls under the latter category. Trying not to dwell on how much I wasted on a 4-pack of this swill.

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Look: Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle with massive amounts of thick and fluffy foam (4+ finger). The appearance is a crystal clear yellow and gold. The head sticks around for a long time before diminishing but never totally vanished. There were quite a few ‘bubble-streams’ shooting up from the bottom.

Smell: The first scent is of tart fruit with a strong yeasty and sour orange follow up.

Feel: This is a bit fuller in feel than expected but not quite reaching the medium level. There was not much effervescence on the tongue and it feels a bit slippery.

Taste: At first there is a rush of sourness and bitterness that fades into hops, lemon, orange, bread, and earthiness. There is a slight sourness throughout, but it doesn’t overpower the other flavors that dance around. There are other notes of pepper and 1 of everything from an herb garden.

Overall: I stay away from lighter and sour beers so I was a little nervous with this one. This was much better than I expected as there was not too much sourness and plenty of other flavors mixed in. I may just like Saisons if I can find similar ones to this one. I am quite pleased with the balance of this one and it has helped me get in touch with my sour side.

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Although this may not be my favorite beer, and I'll never buy it again, I appreciate it. I don't really care for saisons, but this was really well balanced. The herbs were all there and noticeable, but not overpowering like other herbal beers.

This went well with Italian grilled chicken on a Michigan spring day.

3.57/5  rDev -6.5%

At 15 bucks a case this is the best deal I've ever gotten on craft beer! Must have been a fire sale maybe out of code but it's drinking great. If your store got some of this fire sale I'd definately not hesitate. Well worth the 75 cents for a bottle

3.78/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

$2.49, 12oz bottle from Copper Vine dated 06/10/14, poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- 1-finger, fluffy, off-white head. The hazy, golden-orange body has some yeast floaties from a sloppy pour. The head settles in to a lingering foam and leaves nice, lacy webs on the glass.

S- Lemony and funky at first. Black pepper aroma comes through pretty strong as well. The spices mentioned on the label are there, just not so bold. I probably wouldn't have picked them out on my own.

T- Wow! It starts off with the classic saison flavor, yeasty funk, some lemon, and soft wheaty malts. Then, those cooking spices kick in. Pairing the rest with a Little Caesars hot-n-ready might be a good call. It definitely comes off as an Italian inspired sipper. Maybe a little heavy on the added spice. A sweetness returns in the finish.

M- Medium body and carbonation. A little long in the finish as it comes back to sweet.

O- An interesting take on a saison. Not quite my cuppa tea, but I respect what they were going after. Probably a one-and-done.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Brilliant gold with a light copper tint under a finely bubbled white foam collar that hugs the glass leaving a fine sheet of lace.
S: Citrus, fruit, light herb – first sniff very herby.
T: Some ripe fruit with a slight funk, herbs, a little vegetal. M: Smooth, medium body and carbonation.
O: Manages to pull off the Scarborough Fair herbs without being offensive.

Saison Du BUFF from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery