Apricot Wheat | Ithaca Beer Company

Apricot WheatApricot Wheat

Ithaca Beer Company
New York, United States

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Our smooth wheat beer is light in color and body…perfect for those looking for a lighter taste. The combination of wheat and barley gives Apricot Wheat a different malt character than our other ales. The hint of apricot gives this beer a pleasant nose and fruity finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2001

Reviews: 267 | Ratings: 840
4.27/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz. bottle dated 07/20/16

Pours a highly carbed slightly hazy gold with no head to speak of. Smells like fresh apricot jam. Tastes like apricot juice, some wheat, bready malt, with earthy minty grassy pine. Feels light bodied with moderate high carbonation. Overall a nice apricot wheat ale.

4.38/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Ithaca Beer Co. Apricot Wheat Ale 4.9% abv.
look: It is certainly a golden color with a slight haze to it, but I can see my fingers, so it's already not up to par with other wheat beers I have had. In my book if you can't see your hand than I like the look. Maybe they went for the crystal type of wheat beer on this one. There is a pretty substantial fluffy white head at first, but it dissapears to a small ring with not much lacing at all.
Smell: Just a nice sweet apricot smell here.
Taste: It has a nice taste, but it doesn't really taste like a typical wheat beer at all. You don't taste the coriander, clove, lemon, or those wheat beer spices. Since they brew it with barley and wheat you get a combination of those flavors and a very faint apricot taste at the beginning and the end with a dry finish.
Feel: The feel is very light. It has the mouth of a lager, or a pilsner.
Overall: Apricot is one of my favorite fruits and a favorite for beer flavors. I have had other beers that had apricot character to them, but had a bit of a thicker mouth feel. I also like wheat beers with more cloudy chunks from being unfiltered with wheat malts. I can see that they were not trying to go for that with this one, so it's not like they tried that and failed. It is not what I expected, but I ended up liking it in the end. It is lighter, but very nice. That being said I would like to find a beer that was heavier on the apricot.

4.46/5  rDev +37.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Solid summer beer. Decent flavor. Everything about this is very decent. Nice peachy apricot aroma. Light refreshing and nothing that's too much or too little. Good stuff here.

4.11/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's good. Not great. I like it but I don't know I would buy a case for the house. It's a good safe beer, tad on the sweet side so if you like a sweeter beer you might like this more then me. If it's one of the only beers I like on tap I'd order it again but it's lower on the totem pole.

3.35/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

First had this in Springfield, MA back in Sept 2011...referring to my notes, I wrote "Sweet!" - I remember having a few sitting around fam's table thinking...this is a chick's beer for sure...but I'll keep drinking it until someone makes fun of me :) nice fruity consistent taste...good amber color...nice litte haze when poured along with a decent head on the beer when poured correctly.

4.04/5  rDev +24.3%

Overall I think this is a great wheat beer. The look had a yellowy straw color with slight haze. When you smell it I only smell apricot but subtly. There is no smell or taste of artificialness. When sipping I get a crisp tropical taste initially then I taste wheat with no residual fruit lingering. This is a perfect beer for a day outside. I'm not sure why the ratings are so low. I put a keg of this on at my bar and sold it in three days. I will definitely have it again next year.

4.2/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured 12oz bottle into glass. 4.9% abv

Appearance- Pours a bright gold with a two finger white head. Very Hazy.

Smell- Apricot overules. Wheaty grain

Taste- A wheat base for the malt with a high amount of grainy flavor builds to strong yet not overpowering apricot fresh fruit flavors. The apricot Is carried through to a smooth clean finish with a touch of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Thin to medium in body with active carbonation.

Overall- A great ftruit beer with an appropriate name....lots of wheat and lots of apricot. Great balance makes for a fine and flavorful beer.

3.77/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

10/11....hazy golden copper, light white foam. Apple cider looking. Strong fruity nose, apricot for sure. A touch woodsy. Sweet apple apricot flavor, blended into a wheaty background. Rind like bitter back. Nice fruit beer.

4.01/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - Pours a pretty golden color with a frothy 4 inch head which dissipated fairly quickly. The color almost reminds me of apple juice.

Scent - Smells of dried apricot and alcohol. I might be detecting a faint metallic scent as well.

Taste - The apricot flavor is fairly up front, I get a bit of apple in the flavor too. The metallic scent slightly carries over into the flavor but not so much as to make it unpleasant. A slight sweetness. The finish brings fourth the wheat beer flavor.

Mouthfeel - A little dryer than I would have liked. It has a medium body that does not linger terribly long on the tongue. The carbonation is not overdone, which is good because it would probably detract from this beers more subtle flavors.

Overall - It's light, slightly fruity and has a low ABV. It would be a nice summer beer or maybe beach beer while chilling. I like it but I don't love it. Still, I've never had an apricot beer before so I am pretty pleased with what I've found in this one.

3.56/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I first tried this on draught at a retaurant in Ithaca and really enjoyed it. When I tried it from the bottle I wasn't as pleased. It may have been a question of freshness. I liked the subtle apricot taste. I wouldn't make a steady diet of it but if I could have it on draught again I would.

4.57/5  rDev +40.6%

First discovered this beer at a NY TAP festival. It was my first fruit beer I would say, and has since lead me to try a few others. As I am not a fan of drinking alcohol while eating food (it's usually one or the other, aside from Buffalo wings and football spectator foods), I found this beer to be very drinkable in that instance. It competes well with juice and soda and is by far is my favorite peach/apricot inspired beer.

3.36/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Ward 8
Pale orange color with a long lasting head. Overpowering apricot aroma and flavor. Kind of like a beer cooler, but it kind of worked.

3.35/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: [2.75] Mildly hazy straw color. The beer pours out with a small tight head. The head recedes quickly. The bottle has a notched month "FEB" - so I assume that is next month. I hate notches. No ABV listed.

S: [3.25] Strong wheat smell up front. Some mild fruity smells - nothing I'd call apricot.

T: [3.50] Very, very fruity. Much more than I expected from the nose. It brings it with the nice fruit flavor.

M: [3.50] The carbonation is right and the body is a little thin but okay.

O: [3.25] I don't know the ABV yet - but I am guessing 5.5%. I think this would be an excellent summer beer out on the dock. Really refreshing and a surprisingly nice fruit flavor. I will definitely get this again in the summer to share.

Pours a peach colored and slightly hazy liquid with very little and quickly disappearing head. The aroma does, as the name suggests, have a hint of apricot, however, not strong enough to my liking. The taste is light and fruity and low on hops. A refreshing beer but ultimately too bland for my tastes.

3.44/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: crystal clear; thin head that dissipated quickly leaving a ring around the edge of the glass; minimal lacing;

S: a nice, fresh apricot scent;

T: follows the nose with a bit of hop bitterness in the mid-palate before the apricot sweetness comes back for the finish;

M: light bodied; light carbonation; dry finish;

O: refreshing and a good thirst quencher; easy to drink; I generally don't like fruit beers, but on a hot day, this was an enjoyable diversion from my usual hop bombs;

2.67/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

Appearance: Slightly cloudy straw color with a very thin head that dissipates immediately (even with a fairly aggressive pour).

Smell: Flaked wheat and apricot. Neither is particularly strong - smells like it's going to be pretty lacking in the flavor department.

Taste: Aaaand, it's fairly lacking in the flavor department. Tastes like a standard flavorless American Wheat with a little bit of apricot extract. Needs a lot more apricot. Or a lot more of something else.

Mouthfeel: Thin, watery. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Ithica is capable of much better. I get that fruit wheat beers aren't generally targeted at the beer geek audience, but there just isn't any flavor in this.

3.55/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A: lightly-hazy, sunshine yellow liquid.... fizzy head forms on the pour, bottoms out almost immediately... no lace

S: quite bold apricot - obviously extract... kinda smells like a car freshener or, better, a Jolly Rancher... bit of a wheaty undercurrent, perhaps some fruity esters woven in there as well

T: juicy-fruity, of course, though not terribly sweet - in fact, fairly dry - the fruit flavor is similar to mandarin oranges... buttery biscuit or pancake aftertaste... marginally bitter - the bitterness seems to take the guise of tannic fruit pulp

M: smooth, light-medium bodied up front... finishes quite light, soft, and dry

O: I'm not sure you'd want to drink this unless you don't like the taste of beer in the first place... I could see using this in cooking or accompanying a wide variety of summertime foods, namely barbequed chicken or shrimp, not to mention salads with vinaigrette, mandarin oranges and toasted, candied almonds

4.17/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A - Yellow with slight haze. Large, white, fizzy head that quickly dissipates. Significant rising bubbles remain well after pour.

S - Soft, slightly tart apricot. Clearly present but not overwhelming. Some slight malt sweetness.

T - Very nice, soft apricot flavor intermingled with wheaty malts that lingers slightly. Little to no hop character present.

F - Highly carbonated/fizzy.

O - This beer is excellent for what it is. It does not try to overwhelm your palate. It is very well-balanced and refreshing, especially on a summer's day.

4.24/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm a major sucker for fruit beer, so I had to try this one. It was my first time at a local bar, and I was waiting for my aunt and uncle to meet me after work, so I ordered this beer with my fries. It was sweet but not too much so- in other words, you could definitely still taste the beer in it. There was a perfect blend of sweetness and yet a tiny bite to it. It was very smooth and amazing when ice cold! If I came across it again I'd definitely go for a second taste.

2.67/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance - Pale yellow, might be a touch of orange. Hazy, nearly opaque. Very little head.

Smell - Very noticeable bright apricot aroma. Otherwise, vague pale malt.

Taste - Perhaps a little less distinctly than the aroma, but obviously apricot flavor highlights this beer. Otherwise, rather plain tasting pale malt.

Mouthfeel - Very light. Crisp.

Overall - I haven't tried many (if any) apricot beers. If nothing else, this beer demonstrates that the flavors can work together. Probably better, too.

3.46/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in to a weizen glass.

A- An aggressive pour reveals a hazy yellow body with a half inch white head that disappears quickly.

S- Syrupy apricot and that is all.

T- Straightforward flavors. Sweet apricot and wheat. Nothing less, nothing more.

M- Light feel and medium-light carbonation. I should be drinking these in the summer.

O- It's certainly refreshing. Good to quench a thirst.

3.82/5  rDev +17.5%

For me, this beer goes hand in hand with "insert your fav chillax summer activity name here". Probably wouldn't crave these in the cooler weather, but that's just me. But when the sun is out, this is one of the beers I want by the pool, in the cooler at the beach, etc.

Has a strong apricot smell and taste, without (in my opinion) being too fruity or sweet. It's just good sipping, goes down easy (hence stock up please) and I enjoyed having them.

4.16/5  rDev +28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I like this beer. I thinks it's dope. Ain't care what youse all thinks. Beer be tastin mighty fine to me. Peaze it. NahImSayin. building the street credit is what Robbie P says. Do what you gotta do. Get it... Kryzzl be liking it too. Das it gurl. Joel says f that bs.

3.14/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a light clear gold, white lacing for a head.

Smells of fresh apricots and honey.

Flavor of mildly sweet apricots with a light hop bite.

Watery body with light tingles of carbonation on the tongue.

An average fruit beer, smells good but tastes a little bland. This beer would be pretty good if it just had some more body and flavor.

3.56/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a tall pint glass.

A- Cloudy golden-orange color with a slim white head that left some lacing. It looks like apricot juice in the long run.

S- Apricots, there's no denying that. There's ale malt in the background and light floral aroma.
Not sweet, surprisingly.

T- The apricot flavor is what it's all about, yet it's not overpowering. A little floral taste along with just barely there wheat. Some malt sweetness, to me, which really is out of place in a wheat beer.

M- Under carbonated, but the apricot and sugars give it some body. It makes the 'beer' grade, I guess.

O- It's ok, missing something in the wheat category, though.

Apricot Wheat from Ithaca Beer Company