Apricot Wheat

Gots
SCORE
Okay
Apricot WheatApricot Wheat
Notes: Our smooth wheat beer is light in color and body…perfect for those looking for a lighter taste. The combination of wheat and barley gives Apricot Wheat a different malt character than our other ales. The hint of apricot gives this beer a pleasant nose and fruity finish.
Reviews: 281 | Ratings: 883 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
narc714

3.87/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had to get out for a while from this virus home-shut-in.
We got a huge take-out of Hurricane Wings Sweet Chile flavor and a six of Ithica Apricot Wheat.
So good together, like love & marriage.
The apricot has no artificial taste,, perfect carbonation.
Pleasant aroma
Drinkability is high.

Mar 22, 2020
rudiecantfail from Pennsylvania

3.38/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

L---Pours a mildly hazy golden color with a hint of orange. Nice, fluffy white head that dissipated to nothing rather quickly. Left no lacing. Shame about the head, that really hurt the appearance.

S---Strong apricot aroma. Pretty sweet. Some wheaty malt in there. Not too complex.

T---Follows the nose. Heavy on the apricots, although they taste more like some processed version of apricot than like the fresh fruit. Mild wheat taste as well.

F---Flat. Like all of the carbonation was in the rapidly disappearing head. Mid to light bodied, appropriate for a wheat beer.

O---It's okay, not good or great. It'd be a good one to have outside on a hot day. I won't get it again, though.

Aug 01, 2019
Beginner2 from Illinois

3.12/5  rDev -6%

Not a good Looking wit. Immediately Smells of apricot, but there is wheat in there. Tastes are the same. And yes, there is thin-ness for those who it really bothers.

IMHO without having done all the research, Ithaca is the end of the second generation; a great cash cow (Flower Power IPA);

Jan 21, 2019
RockHop from Massachusetts

4.02/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Guilty pleasure beer, summer beer, or beer to drink with my wife. It’s just a tasty well-crafted wheat beer, if you occasionally like a wheat beer. Nice orange hazy hue without a lot of carbonation. Some head but dissipates quickly. Some citrusy and mango notes, maybe cobbler. Flavor is right on with the apricot; not overly sweet or floral. This is not an IPA, but very well done for what it is.

Jan 10, 2019
ordybill from Georgia

3.33/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from the tap into a pint glass. The appearance is a slightly cloudy orange Amber color with a medium sized white head. The aroma is apricots and wheat. The taste follows the nose.

Apr 17, 2018
MikeWard from Pennsylvania

3.36/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle into a pint glass. freshness dating is not clear, my best guess for date is august 2017, but don't know if that's best by or bottled on.

looks pretty grim in the glass. murky, watery yellow tinged with orange body. head disappears quickly, even after some agitation. no lacing.

however, there is a nice aroma of apricots.

taste is very watery apricot juice. not much else happening here.

mouth is closer to thin than medium. finish is apricot lite.

overall, it's like watery apricot juice. glad i only picked up the single.

Feb 10, 2018
UPMD_Bill from Maryland

4.04/5  rDev +21.7%

Looks pale golden, only slight haze
Smells great - apricot clearly present on the nose
Taste is good - gets the right balance of apricot enough to be present without overdoing it. Still can taste a decent wheat beer underneath it with some biscuit malt and hints of banana. Not overly sweet.
Feels crisp and light
Overall not normally crazy with flavored wheat beers but this worked well.

Dec 29, 2017
Erikshegda1994 from Pennsylvania

L - light transparent orange gold with little to no head and no lacing

S - light sweet fruit smell (apricot)

T - extremely light with a little sweetness from the apricots and the crisp wheat finish

F - Extremely light bodied and heavily carbonated so it still fills you up

O - Great beer for what it is...had ppl over on a hot september night out side for a fire and these were a crowd favorite, not a beer you're going to stand in line for or trade for but its a nice, crisp, light and easy drinking beer that everyone will enjoy.

Sep 25, 2017
Lone_Freighter from Vermont

3.99/5  rDev +20.2%

This was poured into a becher pint glass. The appearance was a soft semi-transparent glossy burnt orange color. Carbonation could be seen rising at a nice pace. No head nor lacing. The aroma took the sharp sweet wheat to peg down sweet apricot fruitiness. Sticky authenticity. The flavor played both parts of the apricot to the wheat nicely. Stayed sweet the whole time. Sly punch of the wheat hits the aftertaste and then gives appropriate wheat bite. Quick finish. On the palate, this one sat about a light to medium on the body with a crisp sweet touch on the tongue. Fantastic sessionability with a nice low carbonation. Overall, it’s damn crushable and good for what it is!

Jun 08, 2017
HoppingMadMonk from New Jersey

3.73/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Strong smell of dried apricot with perhaps a little wheat also.Taste was not as strong but the fruit was there. After it warmed up the wheat was much more obvious and the flavor changed and was a bit bitter. I think the only thing this beer needed to be great was more beer flavor. If I didn't let it warm up it would have been a little disappointing but I ended up enjoying

Jun 06, 2017
Vetbidder from Pennsylvania

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Looks like beer, smells like apricot juice. Can't really scent any wheat at all. It's like slightly sweet apricot juice. Low carbonation, zero bitterness. I feel like I'm not giving enough effort giving a 3.5 across the board and it's certainly drinkable, just not very exciting to me.

May 22, 2017
AverageJoeReviewers from New York

4.02/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L - Cloudy, Light Yellowish Gold. Slight head.
S - Perfumy Chapstick. Can't really recognize Apricots.
T - Fruity. Sweet. No Bite.
F - Little Carbonation. Extremely Smooth.
O - Very easy to drink. Summer time beer. Would definitely drink again.

Apr 03, 2017
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

3.77/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am continuing my latest horizontal as a part of the eradication of the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody with this one, followed by about six more Ithaca offerings.

From the bottle: Nada. I am not a fan of their no longer putting the ABV on the labels. I dig the minimalist look of the new labels, but less is not always more.

Following a Pop! of the top, I figured to get things underway with a heavy-handed pour. This resulted in two fingers of soapy, foamy, bone-white head with very limited retention. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5), causing the Gelt Gang to decline, preferring 24-carat clarity in their beer. Once more, the fruitiness was both evident and easily identifiable, in this case as apricot. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, kind of light, but nicely carbonated at least. The taste was all apricot and I am unsure what the wheat was meant to accomplish. It is a very pleasant fruit beer and probably more suited for the summer. Finish was semi-sweet, about what you might expect an apricot beer to taste like. It was not going to knock anyone's socks off, but that was not really the intention.

Jan 31, 2017
StoutElk_92 from Massachusetts

4.17/5  rDev +25.6%

12oz. bottle dated 07/20/16

Pours a highly carbed slightly hazy gold with no head to speak of. Smells like fresh apricot jam. Tastes like apricot juice, some wheat, bready malt, with earthy minty grassy pine. Feels light bodied with moderate high carbonation. Overall a nice apricot wheat ale.

Sep 11, 2016
Cnote_crafty_1 from Pennsylvania

4.38/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Ithaca Beer Co. Apricot Wheat Ale 4.9% abv.
look: It is certainly a golden color with a slight haze to it, but I can see my fingers, so it's already not up to par with other wheat beers I have had. In my book if you can't see your hand than I like the look. Maybe they went for the crystal type of wheat beer on this one. There is a pretty substantial fluffy white head at first, but it dissapears to a small ring with not much lacing at all.
Smell: Just a nice sweet apricot smell here.
Taste: It has a nice taste, but it doesn't really taste like a typical wheat beer at all. You don't taste the coriander, clove, lemon, or those wheat beer spices. Since they brew it with barley and wheat you get a combination of those flavors and a very faint apricot taste at the beginning and the end with a dry finish.
Feel: The feel is very light. It has the mouth of a lager, or a pilsner.
Overall: Apricot is one of my favorite fruits and a favorite for beer flavors. I have had other beers that had apricot character to them, but had a bit of a thicker mouth feel. I also like wheat beers with more cloudy chunks from being unfiltered with wheat malts. I can see that they were not trying to go for that with this one, so it's not like they tried that and failed. It is not what I expected, but I ended up liking it in the end. It is lighter, but very nice. That being said I would like to find a beer that was heavier on the apricot.

Aug 01, 2016
Antg8989 from New Jersey

4.46/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Solid summer beer. Decent flavor. Everything about this is very decent. Nice peachy apricot aroma. Light refreshing and nothing that's too much or too little. Good stuff here.

Jul 11, 2016
Thedude17 from New York

4.11/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It's good. Not great. I like it but I don't know if I would buy a case for the house. It's a good safe beer, tad on the sweet side so if you like a sweeter beer you might like this more then me. If it's one of the only beers I like on tap I'd order it again but it's lower on the totem pole.

Apr 19, 2016
PEESHALEODEJANARO from New York

3.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

First had this in Springfield, MA back in Sept 2011...referring to my notes, I wrote "Sweet!" - I remember having a few sitting around fam's table thinking...this is a chick's beer for sure...but I'll keep drinking it until someone makes fun of me :) nice fruity consistent taste...good amber color...nice litte haze when poured along with a decent head on the beer when poured correctly.

Jan 07, 2016
ajilllau from Florida

4.04/5  rDev +21.7%

Overall I think this is a great wheat beer. The look had a yellowy straw color with slight haze. When you smell it I only smell apricot but subtly. There is no smell or taste of artificialness. When sipping I get a crisp tropical taste initially then I taste wheat with no residual fruit lingering. This is a perfect beer for a day outside. I'm not sure why the ratings are so low. I put a keg of this on at my bar and sold it in three days. I will definitely have it again next year.

Dec 18, 2015
PA-hunter from Pennsylvania

4.2/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured 12oz bottle into glass. 4.9% abv

Appearance- Pours a bright gold with a two finger white head. Very Hazy.

Smell- Apricot overules. Wheaty grain

Taste- A wheat base for the malt with a high amount of grainy flavor builds to strong yet not overpowering apricot fresh fruit flavors. The apricot Is carried through to a smooth clean finish with a touch of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Thin to medium in body with active carbonation.

Overall- A great ftruit beer with an appropriate name....lots of wheat and lots of apricot. Great balance makes for a fine and flavorful beer.

Nov 28, 2015
KTCamm from New Jersey

3.77/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

10/11....hazy golden copper, light white foam. Apple cider looking. Strong fruity nose, apricot for sure. A touch woodsy. Sweet apple apricot flavor, blended into a wheaty background. Rind like bitter back. Nice fruit beer.

Oct 25, 2015
The_Kriek_Freak from Pennsylvania

3.58/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It pours with a lot of carbonation and a head made up of huge bubbles that dissipated very rapidly. The aroma is of apricot and some tart/sweet notes from the wheat. The flavor is very bland and overtaken by the apricot on the nose. Light body and highly carbonated.

Aug 23, 2015
Merticois from New Jersey

4.01/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - Pours a pretty golden color with a frothy 4 inch head which dissipated fairly quickly. The color almost reminds me of apple juice.

Scent - Smells of dried apricot and alcohol. I might be detecting a faint metallic scent as well.

Taste - The apricot flavor is fairly up front, I get a bit of apple in the flavor too. The metallic scent slightly carries over into the flavor but not so much as to make it unpleasant. A slight sweetness. The finish brings fourth the wheat beer flavor.

Mouthfeel - A little dryer than I would have liked. It has a medium body that does not linger terribly long on the tongue. The carbonation is not overdone, which is good because it would probably detract from this beers more subtle flavors.

Overall - It's light, slightly fruity and has a low ABV. It would be a nice summer beer or maybe beach beer while chilling. I like it but I don't love it. Still, I've never had an apricot beer before so I am pretty pleased with what I've found in this one.

Aug 08, 2015
MacMalt from New Jersey

3.56/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I first tried this on draught at a retaurant in Ithaca and really enjoyed it. When I tried it from the bottle I wasn't as pleased. It may have been a question of freshness. I liked the subtle apricot taste. I wouldn't make a steady diet of it but if I could have it on draught again I would.

May 25, 2015
TheHip-HopMobBarley from New York

4.57/5  rDev +37.7%

First discovered this beer at a NY TAP festival. It was my first fruit beer I would say, and has since lead me to try a few others. As I am not a fan of drinking alcohol while eating food (it's usually one or the other, aside from Buffalo wings and football spectator foods), I found this beer to be very drinkable in that instance. It competes well with juice and soda and is by far is my favorite peach/apricot inspired beer.

Feb 13, 2015