Hitachino Nest Yuzu Saison

View: Beers
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 33 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Beginner2 from Illinois

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I got the last one on the shelf... and it seems well past its prime; possibly two years. Its large label looks like the original Saison du Japon, but its neck label says "Yuzu." And I've had a few yuzu and this seems like it is so. And I've had Kiuchi's original Saison; from which the yuzu rendition is based. Both have their strengths.

I agree with the reviewer's comment below that Kiuchi's Yuzu is more like a wit than a saison... in part because Kiuchi's original has wit qualities. Yuzu is fruity like a wit; and it is less bubbly and hoppy than a saison. But since Kiuchi may not be exporting Yuzu or its distributors may not be distributing this anymore, I'm going with what we got. Yuzu is a decent saison; but I doubt, for many reasons, that I will have another.

Oct 04, 2020
Barnoloid from Illinois

4.1/5  rDev +9%

I really like this saison - a refreshing, tart and lively ale that goes down a treat with Japanese food. The yuzu fruit and peppery yeasts mingle well together and make for a delightful and fun beer to drink.

May 23, 2017
mdfb79 from New York

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured a hazy yellow-brown color. Nice bananas, spice, pepper, cloves, and bready malts. A little over carbonated but otherwise tasty and easy to drink.

Sep 28, 2016
Greatheil from Rhode Island

More like a Japanese version of a Belgian white than a real saison. Not much hop presence, but not too fruity either. I'm not sure what spices they used but you can taste and smell the citrusy yuzu. Very thirst quenching, great summer brew.

Aug 12, 2014