Apical Dominance

Very Good
Notes:
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 17
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This India pale lager pours clear with a bright white cap of foam. Big juicy citrusy hop aroma on the nose, and dominates the palate as well with some pineapple, followed by what seems like sage? It's such a curious mix that's drinkable and intriguing enough to sip slowly.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Since it's missing from the beer description:

"Apical Dominance is the phenomenon where the strongest central stem of a plant, or in this case a hop bine, becomes dominant over the other stems. This beer is a lager brewed with one of our favorite new experimental hop varieties, HBC-692, which contributes notes of pink grapefruit and sage."

Came out of years of hibernation for this review. Had it in a bottle poured into a goblet. This beer made me go "What?! Wait... (looks at the bottle) whoa." The hop flavor was something I'd never tasted before and kinda shocked me at first, which is why I had to look at the bottle. It really does have that herbal/pink grapefruit character, which can also come off as a little vegetal, and a little bubble gummy, but with a bitterness that keeps it from going over the edge of sweetness. Smell is pretty grapefruity.

Look is benign...straw yellow, strong lacing, good head. Mouthfeel is light.

But man this thing is whacky but delicious. Only thing is I probably wouldn't drink more than one in a session because the taste is so different.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sweet hell, BA, this one is lit like your little brother after his first puff of bubble kush. I mean gd, BA, this one is more interesting than that one time your boy did ecstasy in Albania. First and foremost, you look it up and down like it’s a normal Lager: it’s crisp, straw yellow, and clean looking. The scent on this thing is kinda subdued, Miranda Kerr after a spray of Narcisco Rodriguez this is not. But the taste. The taste... What in the Sam hill? It has the crispness of a regular lager, but it also packs a perfectly placed dollop of fresh fruit that is more on point than than dumbo shooting a bulls eye. I say get it, my minions. Get it good!

4.94/5  rDev +17.6%

Best beer I have ever had. Went to Russian River with a friend who is a Pliney fiend. Bartender recommended I try this, and I loved it. Never had a beer I have liked more. Im not a sophisiticated guy who can describe well. A more common one I would liken it to is Breaking Bud. But Apical is those sort of flavors, but stronger. Another that is the same flavors that is easy to come by is Luponic Distortion. So...you will never try this unless you go the brewery...but if you go there...TRY THIS!

First time I have ever posted here. Made an account just to post this. lol

Apical Dominance from Russian River Brewing Company