Robert Saison

Gots
SCORE
n/a
Robert SaisonRobert Saison
Notes: Brewed for the 2019 Festival of Farmhouse Ales this Belgian-style saison is highly carbonated, fruity, spicy, and often bottle conditioned.
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 9 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.07/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is Russian River to a T. It’s just damn smooth like Judy Garland walking down the yellow brick road. Yeah, this one is like Gene Wilder doing a somersault. I won’t call it the supreme leader of Saisons, but again, it’s just balanced, smooth, and good. Which I could say that about myself after a bender, but hell, we can’t win them all!

4.62/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I really enjoyed this on tap at Toronado SD. Beautiful golden straw color with a fluffy white head that laces the glass.

The smell is peppery with a complex zesty yeast character.

Tastes great! Refreshing and complex! Floral notes, peppery, with a nice dry finish. I’d get this any time I see it.

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The bottle opens with a loud “pop!” and the beer gushed forth, slowly enough that I could catch it in my glass. There’s foam, lots of foam, and it lingers for a while. Looks lovely, although I’m rethinking my decision to use a Teku for glassware.
The nose is a lovely mix of white pepper, coriander, some barnyard funk, and bloomy rind. Boldly effervescent, with a crisp finish. Lots of peppercorn and coriander on the palate. An all-around delicious saison. Should not expect anything less from Russian River!

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Lucky me. I get to write the first review of my namesake which, making me even luckier, is in my favorite style.
Robert may be as close to DuPont's high standard as any American micro has gotten.

Bought at Russian River's new plant and brewpub in a package with Jannemie, a saison bottle conditioned with Brett.
Robert has appetizing Looks and Smells are mostly malt striving to be fruit. Robert's yeast further drives this fruit in the Taste and introduces hops that are close to balanced. But, the hops finish prominent. Nonetheless, Robert went well with pizza and probably would prove to be a better saison with a greater variety of foods than Jannemie.

All said, I will have Robert again if I can find it. While it was planned as a one-off and entered into a saison contest, I hope Russian River brings Robert back. A masterful saison.

Robert Saison from Russian River Brewing Company