Black Diamond Saison | Black Diamond Brewing Co.

3.7/5
Good

Black Diamond Brewing Co.
bdbrewing.com

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

3.87/5  rDev +4.6%

On tap at a local restaurant bar. Served in a standard pint glass.

Clean medium blonde-orange body with a small wispy off white head. Leaves some splotches of fleeting lacing on the sides of the glass.

Nose has some light fruity esters and a good share of spice. There's a subtle hint of the earthy Belgian yeast hanging around as well.

Tastes a good share spicier than it smelled. Can't shake the image of the ginger that comes with sushi, or the ginger tea you might be served at a Thai or Cambodian restaurant. Also something almost peppery in there. Hop presence is noticeable but secondary to the spice. The beer is still very fruity, albeit clean, overall.

This isn't my first go at this beer but I've been holding off on a review for awhile. The first time I tried it was at the Lafayette Art & Wine festival and it was a Godsend on that hot day. Very refreshing and drinkable.

I really enjoy this one and I'm tempted to give it even higher ratings than I have here but it doesn't quite hit the marks I personally look for when I seek out a beer in this style. That said, Saison is an extremely broad category and there's room for many varieties. This one could definitely have a niche as I find myself coming back to it whenever it pops up. As mentioned earlier, a great warm weather beer.

Black Diamond Saison from Black Diamond Brewing Co.