Harpoon Saison Various | Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Massachusetts, United States
harpoonbrewery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Barrel aged blend of five Saisons.

Added by Jason on 08-11-2011

3.25/5  rDev -19%

3.25/5  rDev -19%

4.11/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had this on-tap at Tully Cross Tavern in Manchester, CT. Was initially confused at the "Various" in the title and had a good laugh with my buddies until I realized that's apparently what it's actually called?

A - Deep, golden, brown. Crystal clear and almost orangey. Very easy on the eyes with great color depth. Served in a tulip and had a great, foamy head that took a few minutes to calm down.

S - Probably the most impressive aspect of this beer. Smells sweet, but also has that classic Saison funk to it. I could smell this all day long.

T - Sweet. That's the first thing that sticks to my mind and is unusual for a saison. Usually I expect some funk with a slight hoppy bite to it, but this seemed to play more to its high alcohol content to deliver a deep, rich, syrupy nectar.

M - To be honest, I don't really remember much about the mouthfeel, but I did enjoy the beer overall, so it could've have been bad! Pretty average if you ask me, and nothing truly stood out. Didn't hurt or help the beer.

O - I really wanted to try this as part of a 5-part beer flight, but unfortunately this wasn't available for such a thing so I had to go all out and get the full 12 ounces. I'm not disappointed that I did! Excellent brew that sways slightly from your typical saison. One of the best beers they have on tap right now.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Enjoyed at BBF. I was told this was a blend of all their saisons, and I think then aged.

A - A nice light golden hue with a good white head that left nice side lacing and took some time to fade.

S - Nice saison aromas. Good levels of funk and some light spice notes and citrus (lemons).

T - Same, as most other good saisons with good barnyard notes (which for me was surprising from Harpoon) and nice lemons. A good melding.

M - Really solid mouthfeel here. That 7.5% is well hidden and things really mix nicely. Things are kept quite refreshing.

O - Overall I was shocked with this and Harpoon's other limited offering. A really good saison, I would not be embarassed to buy a six pack of this and enjoy it!

Harpoon Saison Various from Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall