Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by Shovelbum on 02-12-2006

Reviews: 375 | Ratings: 994
4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

L: Dark brew with a finger of sudsy beige head and massive amounts of lacing
S: Manzanita berry, roasted malt, oak, red wine
T: Red wine, oak, dark chocolate, roasted malt,
F: Thin but strong
O: Strange special brew.

4.04/5  rDev +6%

L: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a thick texture. There was a two inch, foamy, tan-colored, somewhat long-lasting head. Sparse lacing.

S: A good aroma of dark fruit, malt, and some chocolate.

T: Tasted of roasted malt, a bit of chocolate, lemon (surprisingly enough), a hint of coffee, dark fruit (raisins), and a sour funky quality. It's hard to categorize this flavor. It's a weird mix of a stout, a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, and a little bit of a sour beer. Somehow it works (for the most part), though it could have used more of certain ingredients.

F: A fair amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied; much lighter than most stouts.

O: Definitely an unusual beer, but well worth trying. Drinkable.

4.21/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Aroma is raspberries/cherries, medium sweetness and fruit. The flavor is cherries/raspberries, dark malts, medium sweetness and a mix of acidity and warming alcohol in the finish.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

$ 13.35 (Including tax)/25.9 oz bottle ($ 0.515/oz) at Oppermann’s Cork ‘N’ Ale, Saginaw, MI
Undated bottle at 42 degrees into a hand washed and dried JK snifter, allowed to warm to 50 degrees
Aroma – smells like sour fruit
Head average (Maximum 2.8 cm, aggressive pour), light brown, frothy, diminishing to two mm ring with legs and a partial layer
Lacing - none
Body dark brown/black, opaque
Flavor – begins slightly sour but not overpowering. No hops, no roasted malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate – medium, almost creamy, soft carbonation

Other than color, very nonstout-like. The roasted malt is obscured by the sour fruitiness. I can’t decide if I like this or not. It is definitely better than most of the sours I’ve had from New Braunfels Brewing.

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 3.5, Flavor 3.5, Palate 4, Overall 3.75

4.56/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter it has a black body with a beige ring head. Smell of funk, hay, cherry, apricot, peach, some light oak, and a bit of coffee chocolate on the end. Taste is nice bittersweet chocolate, light coffee, strawberry, little bit of lemon, cherry, green apple, and funk. Full crisp slight acidic mouth feel, full body, and moderate to light carbonation.

3.74/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Black with surprisingly large fluffy brown head at first, that dies down to some whisps.

Heavy whiffs of smokey, almost bacony notes up front. Toasted sunflower was thrown out there by a friend as well, and that's definitely spot on.

Slightly acetic, definitely another extremely off the wall and unusual sour by Jolly Pumpkin

3.11/5  rDev -18.4%

Very dark beer with a light caramel head on top. Smells boozy with a little dark fruit smell. Taste is very sour with a roasted malt after taste. Definitely a sour stout.

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This bottle was stored nearly 15 months before opening.

Pours black as tar with a decently restrained, dark tan head. Good lace left behind in ragged sheets from the pour as it recedes to a thick, irregular film.
Smell is heady during the pour with notes of tart cherries, oak and malt evident before getting close to the glass. Once nearer the nostrils wet cardboard and some yeast are found.
Taste is tart for a Imp. stout. Notes of tangy cherries, oak, roasted malt, yeast, even some hops and licorice hiding in the background.
Body is light for the style, effervescence is very restrained. Still, at over 8%, it's a sipping brew. It reminds me of a Flanders red oddly. Good, but certainly outside the norm for style.

3.61/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2/19/2013 bottle

L: quickly fading dark tan head, deep brown/black with a tinge of amber when held towards the light

S: hints of tart cherry, wood, tobacco

T: light tartness and funk up front, chocolate and roasted finish. Expected more complexity based on the nose. Not much bitterness.

F: quick bite up front, semi creamy sweetness in middle, hint of roasted bitter on the finish.

O: aroma lead me to believe this would be a very complex beer, however the flavor fell a bit flat. Dichotomy of funk and roastiness fail to blend together.

4.19/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

my first sour stout. such an odd style but i really see why people like them so much. deep dark color is very attractiva and yet deceptive. the aroma is that familiar Jolly Pumpkin sour/vinegar/ funk but kicked up a notch with roasty notes clearly coming through. tastes exactly like i hoped it would, nice and sour but not too acidic and blends very nicely with the dark roasty flavors. some coffe notes are also present.
very well done!

2.62/5  rDev -31.2%

Served in a snifter glass from a vintage bottle (dated 02/14/2012).

Appearance: Deep dark browny oil color. Thin body with medium bubbles creating a tan head that rises to roughly a notch below a finger's length.

Smell: Desirable smell but awkward for an imperial stout. Hints of lemon and yeast, get what I mean.

Taste: Honestly Having a a boatload of imperial stouts, this one has to be the worst. Very sour with a hard hit of lemon, feels like your chewing into the skin as well. Also feels like they breweres threw wheat grass into it and to call this an imperial stout is a disgrace.

Mout: Because of the fact it is somewhat sticky, that's why I am not grading it any lower. Chewy, kinda reminds me of rye bread.

Overall: Honestly do yourself a favor and leave it alone, God knows how much money I paid for it but do not see myself finishing the bottle. I have at least five other choices Iimperial stouts) which blow this out the water. Salud!

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

L: It pours a dark coffee brown with a rich 1” tan foam collar that hugs the glass.
S: The aromas are fruit, wild yeast, and perhaps a touch of rotten fruit or barnyard funk in the aroma and a suggestion of port.
T: A creamy start immediately gives way to tartness that expands through the mouth. Fruit, spice, faint caramel, and complex layers of lemony, vinegary tartness. Soft roast flavors. Nothing burnt or harsh. Faint bitterness on the finish.
F: Has a very fine and soft texture, medium carbonation and body.
O: A very unique imperial stout that high lights wild yeast in a very nice way.

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Brief write-up. I knew what to expect here - a tart imperial stout - and I wasn't let down. The aroma reveals more stout characteristics than the flavor. Subtle roast and chocolate give way to tart fruitiness. I like it a lot, but I can see why someone wouldn't.

3.7/5: Total marmite beer

4.6/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Birthday beer. Blew my mind. Deep black with a tint of brown in the light. Slim ring of tan bubbles. Dark cherries and lactic goodness on the nose. Acetic vinegar notes meld with deep roasty malts. Dark, balanced, refined, and delicious. End of palate has a nice roasty coffee note popping up out of the background sour noise. Bit of a dry finish. Perfect. Exceedingly outstanding brew. Can't wait to try the next JP take on a beer style.

I generally enjoy sours and most other Jolly Pumpkin offerings out there, but this is way too sour for a stout and besides the dark appearance there are no other stout characteristics. Plus too much of a vinegar taste. Definitely outside of the bell curve on this one.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the Owl House in Rochester, NY.

This one pours a dark, oily black, with a quarter inch head, and not a whole lot of lacing.

This one smells like bright tart lemon, some funk, a bit of coffee, and a bit of roasted malt.

This is a sour stout- that's definitely more sour than stout. The bright, intense lemon acidity is really nice, with a good amount of citrus, some hay, some funk, and a bit of roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate. The main connection to the stout world is the coffee flavor, which, when mixed with the lemon flavor, makes a really classic flavor combo that I enjoy.

This has a tart and juicy mouthfeel, with a higher level of carbonation, and a good amount of drinkability.

This was my first Jolly Pumpkin and hopefully not my last.

4.74/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Jolly Pumpkin brews a truly interesting tasting stout. The sour notes add complexity and balance to the richness of the chocolate and coffee flavors. This is quickly becoming my favorite stout.

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow, I'm amazed at the number of reviewers that didn't realize this was a sour stout.
Well done beer, very drinkable. When I want a dark beer on a hot July day I hope I can reach for one of these. Great food beer also

3.34/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like balsamic vinegar; thankfully it does not taste like balsamic vinegar. Mild sour notes on the nose and in the flavor profile. It's relatively drinkable and i could see myself drinking this on a warm summer day if only the body were a touch lighter.

That said, this sure as heck is not anything like a traditional stout.

1.12/5  rDev -70.6%

Q: Can a good beer go bad in the bottle while waiting for a good home?

I am so sorry to rate like this, but this Stout had all the markings and ambiance I was looking for, but is the only beer in my known history that I leapt from the table to wash my mouth out upon first taste. Please, someone tell me the whole lot is not this way.

But just in case... This beer poured black as a cold night, just what I like! But didn't head very much. And what little head (foam) appeared was brownish and collected around the rim. The smell was acidic, sour, and had a full body underneath, but was overpowering in the sour. Upon first taste, it was not a swell of flavors, rather a sharp and staunch attack on the taste buds. I tried to stomach through, but could not withstand. I did, literally, jump up and run for the sink.

I double-checked afterward, and had the same reaction. I asked for a second opinion, and my wife, too, thought there was something wrong.

If anyone believes a beer could go bad, like it sat on the ocean floor for 100yrs after a shipwreck, just got brought to the surface and we're tasting for posterity sake, please let me know. I hate to give a bad rating if something was wrong with the juice. But if this is the way it's supposed to taste, believe me, it's not for the weak at heart.

I was really looking forward to a stout with my T-bone. :-(

2.67/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I thought it began pleasantly with a slight bite like a sour but the finish was way too strong. Instead of leaving you with a deep finish as I had hoped from a stout it just finished very bitter in the back of your throat.

2.81/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Had this poured into a stout glass. Flavor was of sour apples and cranberry, very tart and very much not what I'd look for in a stout. Color is outstanding, dark brown with a beautiful brown chocolate head. Mouthfeel was smooth, but could've been thicker. Don't like the sour stout.

Had this at winter fest 2015 in Indianapolis and was our favorite beer out of 102 breweries. Awesome sour flavor with a nice clean crisp finish. My new favorite beer!

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - 4.5/5
Upon first pour, two fingers of light chocolately-brown foam, dissipates down to half a finger after settling. Color is nearly completely black, but with a very interesting reddish tinge, which you can see when pouring out of the bottle, or when looking at the right angle. Overall, this is a very beautiful-looking stout. The reddish tinge really does it for me.

Smell - 4/5
JP tartness, sour apples, lemons, cherries. Subtle chocolate, roastiness, and a tinge of spice perhaps. Overall a fairly fruity/tart smell. The smell is similar to other JP beers, but this one definitely has a unique aspect to it which I can't quite put my finger on, other than that the fruity smell is different from other JP beers.

Taste - 3.75/5
JP tartness, cherries, apples. Has subtle hops flavor in the aftertaste. It's a delicious tart taste, but in my opinion tastes nothing like a stout. It's basically just like another JP beer and they put a bunch of black food coloring in it. I was wondering how the JP tartness was going to mix with the stout taste, and now I have my answer...they just ignored the stout part. Now to be fair, there is perhaps a very subtle roasty/smoky/chocolatey character which I detect every once in a while, but that's about it. Overall, the taste is very nice and I like it, but it doesn't taste like a stout, so it loses some points for that (only a little, since it's still delicious)

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Medium-bodied, light carbonation. Crisp and smooth. Nice in the mouth. The mouthfeel is really dominated by the tartness of the beer, which really takes over so your mouth can only feel the tartness, for at least part of the sip.

Overall - 3.75/5
Overall a decent beer, but was disappointed because it wasn't really what I was expecting. Perhaps by technical brewing terms this is a stout, but it doesn't taste like one. It's also a little pricey ($12.99). It doesn't taste sufficiently different from other JP brews to be worth the price, so I probably won't get this ever again. Because I can JP beers I like better for $9.

4.21/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin's Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout a few weeks ago for $13.49 at The Lager Mill. I've had this beer a couple times, but for some reason I've never reviewed it and I decided it was time to give it a proper review, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 1/3/14 so it's exactly a year old today. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a Jolly Pumpkin snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice dark look to it which goes with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through and it had a little over a fingers worth of bubbly brown head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a dark roasted malt, sweet malt and some nice dark chocolate like aromas. Up next comes a little bit of that funky Jolly Pumpkin yeast that goes right into a nice sour cherry aroma with a medium amount of sourness. It's a little like a chocolate covered cherry. This beer has a very nice aroma with some great balance to it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the roasted malts coming through nicely. Up next comes just a slight funky yeast flavor which isn't too noticeable and it goes right into the sour cherries which show up just as much as they did in the aroma . On the finish a higher amount of medium sourness which is almost highly sour and it lingers a little into the aftertaste with some roasted malt and sour cherry flavors. This was a very nice tasting beer, the initial taste is pretty stout like than it changes to a straight sour all the way to the aftertaste.

M- Smooth, just a little acidic, a little crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with with it.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and i thought it was a Great example of a Sour Stout, this is the first Sour Stout I ever had and while I've I tried a few more since then this one still sticks out as being the most memorable. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, just a little acidic, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, one glass might be the perfect amount for me and I think I could take out the whole bottle, but it might start to become a little too acidic for me. What I like the most about this beer was the taste and aroma, to me those were the highlights of this beer and they had good balance. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't anything that I disliked or would change. I would buy this beer again, and since it's already a year old I'm pretty sure it will still age well for a couple more years. I would recommend this to anyone who likes Sour Stouts, I think it's a must try. All in all I'm very happy with this beer and it continues to impress me a little every time I drink it and It's just an enjoyable beer. It's one of my favorite Jolly Pumpkin beers and It's the best Sour Stout I've had so far. Great job guys, this is one tasty beer, keep up the hard work.

Madrugada Obscura, Dark Dawn Stout from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales